Notices

Old 02-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast
mmc_meneses doesn't littermmc_meneses doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looking for white back cover

Hi everyone and happy to meet you !

I have an old sony PRS T3 ebook reader that still working like a charm, the only issue is the leather cover with back light incorporated that its starting to break.

Does anyone knows where can i get a new one?, better withou the front cover, only the back of the reader and without light... I know at the beggining at least in germany Sony sold the reader with and without cover, i guess the one witout front cover may had a back cover only...

Thanks in advance !
mmc_meneses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

I can see when you remove the back code that there is a code for the part, PRSA-CL30, even so there is no much more info in the web...

Does anyone knows the code of the back cover without light?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2023, 08:40 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_meneses View Post
I can see when you remove the back code that there is a code for the part, PRSA-CL30, even so there is no much more info in the web...

Does anyone knows the code of the back cover without light?

Thanks
After reading your first post I tried to find the model number. Since the lighted version is PRSA-CL30, I'm guessing the non-lit version is PRSA-C30. But I can't confirm that. I'm wondering if the Standard Back was ever sold as a retail product? You would probably have to find a part replacement number.

If it's any help, it looks like the T3 that sold without a light, was marketed as the PRS-T3S.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-09-2023 at 12:58 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
After reading your first post I tried to find the model number. Since the lighted version is PRSA-CL30, I'm guessing the non-lit version is PRSA-C30. But I can't confirm that. I'm wondering if the Standard Back was ever sold as a retail product? You would probably have to find a part replacement number.

If it's any help, it looks like the T3 that sold without a light, was marketed as the PRS-T3S.
Thanks a lot ! Seem you are right on both guessings, anyway still difficult to find the cover... I assume i only have two options, trying to fix the one i have or look for used market ebook reader for a good offer to use it as spare parts...

Thanks anyway
Old 02-09-2023, 11:06 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks a lot ! Seem you are right on both guessings, anyway still difficult to find the cover... I assume i only have two options, trying to fix the one i have or look for used market ebook reader for a good offer to use it as spare parts...

Thanks anyway
Sorry.

Unfortunately, I think Sony quit making the T3 so quickly after it was introduced that stocks of accessories and parts (which would have eventually become surplus) never really materialized. I've got a T3 with the lighted back/cover and I had to use a kind of "cloth tape" because the connecting "hinge" was starting to fall apart. (I bought the T3 used.) I'm almost tempted to use it without a back (and cover) because it's so light that way.

I wonder if a new back cover could be printed with a 3D printer?

Last edited by rcentros; 02-09-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:43 PM   #6
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry.

Unfortunately, I think Sony quit making the T3 so quickly after it was introduced that stocks of accessories and parts (which would have eventually become surplus) never really materialized. I've got a T3 with the lighted back/cover and I had to use a kind of "cloth tape" because the connecting "hinge" was starting to fall apart. (I bought the T3 used.) I'm almost tempted to use it without a back (and cover) because it's so light that way.

I wonder if a new back cover could be printed with a 3D printer?
Printed back cover would be perfect... And yes without the light cover is so light...
At the moment just ordered in aliexpress a roll with leather like material to fix the front cover
Old 02-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@mmc_meneses, I do think you may be better off buying a new Reader with a front light. I do have a couple of old T1s. At least one has a light cover.

After using the light cover for the T1 and a front light, I'd go for the front light every time as it gives a lot more even light cover and I can have the light at a lower level because it's uniform.

I went from the T1 to a Kobo and I'll never look back. I also like the larger then 6" screen. I have a Kobo Libra 2 with a 7" screen. The Libra 2 is faster, better screen with better contrast, the ability to use fonts of my choise and I can increase the font weight so it looks good. There's a lot more useful features to the Kobo firmware that Sony just doesn't have.

And I don't have to deal with batteries for the light as it uses the Kobo battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:39 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I went from the T1 to a Kobo and I'll never look back.
The T1 and T3 are not the same. The T3 is incredibly light and small for a 6" eReader. Fits in most of my front shirt pockets.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The T1 and T3 are not the same. The T3 is incredibly light and small for a 6" eReader. Fits in most of my front shirt pockets.
It's old eInk screen is not nearly as good. It's slow with no front light. The software is not nearly as good as Kobo's.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's old eInk screen is not nearly as good. It's slow with no front light. The software is not nearly as good as Kobo's.
I don't think you ever had a T3 in your hands... the only thing we could miss is front light (in case you have to use it by night that is not everybody's case)

That is really the reason i am looking for a back case without the light because i don't use it and also the back cover comes attached to front cover that is leather like and its starting to get old...

I have used some kobos and kindle and still not worth to change my T3 for any of them

Thanks anyway
Old 02-11-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
To me the T-3 E-Ink screen is good. Sony did a great job rendering fonts — and this was the last and best eReader they made. It's plenty fast. And, though I like Kobos, I don't like the way they kind of "squish down" fonts into a squarish shape. I like them more "vertical" like how the Sonys (T3 included) and PocketBooks render fonts.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:13 AM   #12
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

At the end i did folder the original cover with a leather-like sticker that i bought in Aliexpress, quite professional finish and it even looks nicer than the original one.

All together 5e !

Thanks
Old 03-01-2023, 02:11 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
At the end i did folder the original cover with a leather-like sticker that i bought in Aliexpress, quite professional finish and it even looks nicer than the original one.

All together 5e !

Thanks
Glad to hear that. If you still have a link to that sticker I would like to take a look at it. My tape job is kind of "ratty."

(Hope my rats don't read this. They're sneaky little critters.)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #14
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast

I bought this one:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10050...yAdapt=glo2esp

But I think it would be better this other one...for next time, as it is a bit more wider so i don't need to fold the book with two separated cuts of leather:
https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/100...yAdapt=glo2esp

I hope that could be o f some help
Old 12-26-2023, 09:21 AM   #15
mattjs
mattjs began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
The original TPU cover on mine perished as well, but after looking at the replacement pricing once before, which was almost as much if not more than the discounted price of the ereader itself if I recall, I tore off the fake leather part of the cover which l've found to be more of a nuisance than useful now for protecting this old device and I put the plastic back part of it back on alone. I have replaced the Li battery off of eBay as well. I just put a camping LED headlamp on to read at night and I'm all good now, perhaps even happier than inwas before as I would rather save for a new 10" Onyx Color ereader with notetaking stylus!
mattjs is offline   Reply With Quote