Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2023, 11:13 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Never seen them on any of my Kobos since my first one in 2019. But then, my Kobos are offline 99% of the time. I don't use Facebook or any Kobo apps either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:22 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's simpler to register with a fake e-mail, but sideload mode eliminates the useless home screen and the stupid reading gameification awards and makes the UI cleaner and more direct.
I've added the sideloadedmode=true to all the Kobos I've given away and all my own, except the one with a real email address specific for the Kobo. Never got spam on it.
Only emails ever in years from kobo are receipts for purchased books (only since this year).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #18
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecom View Post
I assume a Kindle would require to login with some type of Amazon account (and I assume you can't just load up files willy-nilly). If so, that breaks the 1st and 2nd requirement. If I'm wrong in my assumption, please let me know.

Thanks!
Actually, Kindles don't require a login, and any file that a Kindle can read can be loaded by just dragging it to the documents folder on your Kindle. If you never want to connect it to Amazon, you don't have to.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It's simpler to register with a fake e-mail, but sideload mode eliminates the useless home screen...
I kinda like the home screen

Quote:
...and makes the UI cleaner and more direct.
What does it change? I guess you lose the home button at the bottom. Do you also lose discover? Anything else?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you look in Awards or in the database, the awards are still there. However, it's been quite a while since any of them updated for me. Also of the 17 awards that show on my Sage, the Facebook and Papillon awards are tied to Facebook which is no longer supported on a Kobo ereader.

They're a vestige of past days.
And the awards are very very easy to ignore.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:34 PM   #21
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What does it change? I guess you lose the home button at the bottom. Do you also lose discover? Anything else?
The home menu, discover menu, and awards menu are all eliminated. The main screen has My Books, Activity, and More at the bottom. The More menu has My Articles, Beta Features, Settings, and Help. It's quite simple and lovely.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:47 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The home menu, discover menu, and awards menu are all eliminated. The main screen has My Books, Activity, and More at the bottom. The More menu has My Articles, Beta Features, Settings, and Help. It's quite simple and lovely.
Also "My Books" can be used similarly to what the Home Screen used to be when I first got an Original H20. You could dismiss all non-reading tiles and only have the Recent/current books, which is one option on My Books. I really missed that old home screen, but that FW was buggy & slow on annotation.

My Books is a wonderful Home Screen with all the filter & sort options plus two layout options.

The Sage (only once a pen is used) and Elipsa of course also have the Notebooks tab.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:12 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=Aleron Ives;4313877]The home menu, discover menu, and awards menu are all eliminated. The main screen has My Books, Activity, and More at the bottom. The More menu has My Articles, Beta Features, Settings, and Help. It's quite simple and lovely.[/QUOTI

Ever since I got my Libra 2, I've not seen the awards . Like I said, that's very easy to ignore.

The home screen is good for picking the book you are currently reading.

As to discover, I don't see that either.

So really it's not an issue to be fully registered and then keep WiFi off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:17 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So really it's not an issue to be fully registered and then keep WiFi off.
It's not an issue for you. And it is not an issue for me either. But for some people it is and what you and I see as advantages don't mean much to them.

While I won't use it, I think sideload mode is neat. How many dozens of times has there been a thread here or in the Kobo forum about weaseling out of registering it?

Now no tricks or phony email addresses needed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote