Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: The Sony Reader is available for order. Did you order it already?
Yes! 24 46.15%
No. 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #61
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
I take that as a good thing since it likely helped me get one of the first batch
Indeed! It pays to read this forum first thing in the AM!
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #62
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
And I just received a notification from Sony to the e-mail address I entered some months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonypromo.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1612  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #63
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr
Question for those in the know. I ordered the "Pink" cover as stated on the store site, but on all other sites today everyone has refered to it being "Red".
It was kind of a washed out red, as I recall. I'm slightly color-blind, so I can't be more precise. I wouldn't argue with either description, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #64
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Don't tell iRex but I just ordered one.

And yes, I live in Seattle and selected $112 so I can get it Friday (I hope!).

I've already DL'd the source and pondering if I can cross pollenate my now tethered-only-Librie.

No cradle though, a bit over priced. Yeah I know, $112 for shipping and won't buy the cradle.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #65
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

From CNET:

" Sony said Tuesday it will launch an electronic book store on the Internet and start selling a device that displays e-books purchased from the store on Monday...."

In fact, the ebook store is now up as of 7:35 PDT. It does need some work - I found a scifi book in the astronomy section, for example. Hopefully it will improve but until then I have about 25 BAEN books to buy and read!

Last edited by CCDMan; 09-26-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #66
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Aaarrrrgh! I've been resisting it all day and I just can't take it anymore:

I told you so!

I hope you can forgive me, CCDMan.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #67
CCDMan

Well, I have a shipping notification from Sony in the email this AM. FedEx but it has apparently not shown up in the FedEx tracking system yet. With luck, I may see it by Friday without paying for the $$$ express shipping.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #68
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It was kind of a washed out red, as I recall. I'm slightly color-blind, so I can't be more precise. I wouldn't argue with either description, though.

Thanks. I'll wait and see when it delivered to make up my mind. I just thought that the Green was a little loud. I am just so excited about having a cover ro a case that isn't plain old black.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #69
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr
Thanks. I'll wait and see when it delivered to make up my mind. I just thought that the Green was a little loud. I am just so excited about having a cover ro a case that isn't plain old black.
Ellen, Gizmodo posted some closeups of the various cover. Have you seen it?

http://gizmodo.com:8040/gadgets/gadg...ses-203188.php
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #70
kurochka
your neighbor
kurochka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 lost (if you found it, I hope you enjoy it); DX on preorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
Well, I have a shipping notification from Sony in the email this AM.
Mine is still showing "ready for shipment", estimated ship date 9/28/06.
kurochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #71
CCDMan

Quote:
Mine is still showing "ready for shipment", estimated ship date 9/28/06.
Hmm, mine still is not registering with FedEx uinder that tracking number, I suspect that the email went out well before the package. It says "Carrier Notification Made", which I take to mean that it is scheduled for pickup but not yet scanned by FedEx.

So yours may go out at the same time(today) if you are lucky!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #72
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Ellen, Gizmodo posted some closeups of the various cover. Have you seen it?

http://gizmodo.com:8040/gadgets/gadg...ses-203188.php
Thanks, I did look and depending on the angle, it looks red, then sort of a hot pink. Wierd. No biggie. It's something to keep me occupied while I wait for my reader to arrive. My email this morning says that it shipped yesterday. I went to tracking this afternoon and mine is shipping from CA (I'm in TX) and a est arrival date of Oct 4.

I haven't been this excited since I got my Cybook almost two years ago. Before that, my only ebook device high was when I bought my Rocketbook over 7 years ago.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #73
gbdesai
gbdesai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Don't know if it will ever show up under the FedEx normal tracking methods. This is sent via some weird FedEx / USPS hybrid shipment method. FedEx transfers the shipment to local post offices which then deliver them the "last mile". Weird, wild, stuff, which incidentaly may be slow as molasses (sp?).
gbdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #74
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdesai
Don't know if it will ever show up under the FedEx normal tracking methods. This is sent via some weird FedEx / USPS hybrid shipment method. FedEx transfers the shipment to local post offices which then deliver them the "last mile". Weird, wild, stuff, which incidentaly may be slow as molasses (sp?).
What do you think why they ask you to pay $100+ extra for express delivery? Now they probably route it via Mexico before it arrives in your mail.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #75
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdesai
It's FedEx SmartPost, and it is slightly slower, but much more cost effective. You are right, it probably won't show up in the regular FedEx tracking page.

Best way to track it is to pull up your order status from the SonyStyle web page. Then click on the "Track Item" button to the right of the item.

What that does is automatically do a SmartPost tracking query by supplying the customer and the tracking id. You can do the same thing manually by going to http://spportal.fedex.com/sp/track.jsp and entering your tracking nbr and customer nbr. You can get the customer nbr when you do the SonyStyle page tracking by snipping it out of the URL. (Mine was "SO" plus three digits.)

And some good news for me, at least. Here's my tracking results.... it was picked up in Long Beach, CA at midnite and then by morning it was at the sortation center in Los Angeles. From there it will eventually make it to me, but various consolidations have to happen in this shipping method to keep costs down, so it might take a little while as indicated by Sony in the shipping description. I'm just glad to see it's on it's way. Shame I live across the country! ;-)

--------
Date Time Description Location
September 27, 2006 9:20 AM Sortation Center Arrival LOS ANGELES, CA
September 27, 2006 12:00 AM Pickup LONG BEACH, CA
--------
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote