Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
ok, semi serious, 'cause I know youse guys!... car advice?

ok, cars on my mind, probably a lot of people's minds given the news of late, but I really need to think about replacing my car.

I gave up on my Suburban last year when I went through my third transmission with no good explanation. I bought a used van, kind of in a hurry and of course regret it. it had been in an accident, and the seller covered it up. the front end is bent and cannot be straightened. oh well, it's driveable. unfortunately I REALLY wasn't paying attention, and the passenger (right behind the driver) windows cannot be opened. the far back windows tilt out, just >...< that much. the pup, <-------- the one in the avatar, all 180 wonderful pounds of her LOVES car rides and would pretty much prefer riding around with me and hanging out in the car all day to staying home alone. we did a lot of that back home, but it can't happen here in californication. too hot mostly.

my needs, in addition to windows for the pup, I PREFER a standard transmission, I need all wheel or 4WD as I ski a lot, and in theory do search and rescue (haven't gotten involved here, but it's coming), camp, and of course commute (good mileage would be nice, but I don't feel an overwhelming need to own a hybrid. on the other hand I don't want a hummer either). I'm at a point where I don't have a lot of males more than willing to give me THEIR opinion (muddling), and I really don't spend a lot of time reading things like Car and Driver. advice?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ok I am not great with cars but I recently drove my Mother's car 1200 miles over a weekend. It was very comfortable, 4WD and I liked it a lot. Sorry I should say it was a Lexus RX300 - has 70,000 miles on the clock but runs like a dream. Am now thinking of getting one myself.
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have a Honda CR-V and I'm quite fond of it. Hondas are excellent cars (I beat my last one to a pulp, and it still ran great), and are decently priced. It's nice and spacious for a pup. They only come in auto, as far as I know. But it's good on gas and has the space of an SUV but none of the trouble.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

I might mention that at the moment, BMWs, Mercedes, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Lexus' and their ilk are a bit over the budget
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have a Honda CR-V and I'm quite fond of it. Hondas are excellent cars (I beat my last one to a pulp, and it still ran great), and are decently priced. It's nice and spacious for a pup. They only come in auto, as far as I know. But it's good on gas and has the space of an SUV but none of the trouble.
big enough for a pony sized dog? they are a bit on the spendy end, yes?
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I'd think so. You can fold the entire back of the car down too (easily I might add). I paid $22k or something for mine, but I didn't buy at the best time, and I got the higher trim level. You should be able to get a good price, it's Honda Clearance time. Keep in mind too that it holds it's value very well. Mine is worth well over what I owe on it, even with lots of miles.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Hmmm... pony sized dog. Well, if two 19 year old girls will fit, a pony sized dog should, and that was without folding down the backseat!

I have a 1996 Geo Tracker. If you could find possibly a newer model,(they made them til 2004), they're good on gas, they're inexpensive, and mine has been very very reliable. Also cute, sporty, and a lot of fun to drive!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Multiple American friends of mine with dogs have Subaru Outbacks. They're all quite fond of their cars. Their dogs aren't pony-sized (Airedale Terriers, but at the larger size, some around 70-80lb, but they have multiples. The impression I get from people with Subaru Outbacks or the Liberty/Legacy is "reliable", though some research would obviously do to confirm that. There's the Forester too, but it's smaller.

For what it's worth, we have both a 4WD/SUV and a small car, and two Airedales. Obviously, if we put the back seats down in the 4WD, we've scads of room for the dogs, but the dogs seem to prefer the small car, because its seats (all but the drivers) easily just pop out, so we run it with the larger of the 1:3 split rear seats out or up, and the L-shape seems to give the dogs their own space part-separate from each other. I'm not suggesting our small car (a 10yo MB A160)...merely noting that a smaller 4WD (like a Forester) might have some practical and easy setups that don't exclude them from the running.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You might consider the Honda Element. Built on the same platform as the Civic, it gets great mileage and is available in a 4WD package. The inside can be hosed down in case it gets filled with sand, dirt, or a 100+ lbs friend in full shed season. The inside is configurable so he will fit and enjoy the ride. I drove a standard shift version for about a week (a loaner while my Accord was in the shop) and loved it. They are not selling that well (here in the East) so a late model used Element is a great deal.

I would check out Edmonds on the web. They have very accurate pricing data and enough feature data to keep you happy and well informed.

Do keep us informed as to what you get and why you picked that model. Also, how about more shots of your friend.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
What do you have a Newfoundland? S/He looks like it, especially being near the water. That beach looks gorgeous, please tell me it's somewhere close by in South Florida!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
can't go too wrong with a Toyota - RAV4's available over there ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
What do you have a Newfoundland? S/He looks like it, especially being near the water. That beach looks gorgeous, please tell me it's somewhere close by in South Florida!
Yepp, it's a Newfie.

And as for cars, well, we have a Citroén C5 station wagon that both of our Bernese rides in with comfort without us even having to put down the back seats. It's not a 4WD though, otherwise I am exceptionally happy with that car and it's soon time to exchange it for a newer model. Most likely next year
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Get a bike...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Get a bike...
Oh, I can see that now... Krisk biking along, with a newfie hanging on her back

Newfies aren't suposed to run besides bikes you know, very bad for their joints. As is the truth for most big dogs. Biketraining is usually a bad idea. At least if they run on pawed roads.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Get a bike...
Or a horse. And perhaps a carriage. Better make it a Clydesdale though, since you ski.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote