Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #1
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Kindle Unlimited for Australia

Amazon has finally made KU available in Australia. From Gizmodo http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/11/am...-in-australia/

FAQs on Amazon Australia site https://www.amazon.com.au/b?node=4483857051

And I see that it is for New Zealand also.

Last edited by cadele; 11-08-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Changed link
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm assuming that VAT is a part of the AUD price of $13.99 so in that respect it doesn't appear that Australia is getting a jacked up price versus the US price of $9.99 (which doesn't include tax).

At a quick glance it does appear to not have any audiobooks like the US and UK versions (& possibly other local versions?) do though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Yes, I think you are right.

I presume Amazon AU charges in local currency, although I don't know for sure as I haven't transferred either my book account or my Audible account over to Australia yet.

Firstly because I didn't know if the range was the same, and secondly because I wasn't confident that I could always just go back to the US account, and finally because I always swore I wouldn't do it until Amazon had a full Australian store.

The currency exchange fees bite, however
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:45 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Amazon.com.au charges in AU currency, however with my last ebook purchased the is $0.00 tax (though from 1/7/17 that may change given the way the Aus government is wanting to tax everything from overseas).

No sign of audible books, but I wonder if it will download the audible version for immersion reading??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of KU books are self-published. Some commercial publishers participate, but none of the majors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of KU books are self-published. Some commercial publishers participate, but none of the majors.
If the big commercial publishers were part of KU, I'd sign up in a flash. And cut my ebook spending by about 75%!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If the big commercial publishers were part of KU, I'd sign up in a flash. And cut my ebook spending by about 75%!
Me too .
Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd never get my money's worth from KU; as it is, I struggle to find one book a month to read from the KOLL (the libraries seem the same). And at that, I often fail or can't be bothered.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd never get my money's worth from KU; as it is, I struggle to find one book a month to read from the KOLL (the libraries seem the same). And at that, I often fail or can't be bothered.
Must admit I've just never bothered with KOLL. Way too much on my TBR list!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Must admit I've just never bothered with KOLL. Way too much on my TBR list!
Every now and then I get blindsided by the "something for nothing" syndrome, especially when compounded by the "use it or lose it" syndrome.

It's part of the same mindset that back in the pbook era had me buying the books I really wanted to read and borrowing from the library the books I kind of wanted to read. Of course I had to read the library books first, as they had due dates!

In my defense, I'm much better these days and I only get the occasional book from KOLL which was already on my radar. Still, the KOLL is a nuisance and when I've already got years' and years' (and years') worth of reading in my library, it's a chin-scratcher why I bother even to the extent of two or three books a year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfruit View Post
My concerned is the available book selection. Does anyone have experience? A million titles is stated, but is this bottom of the barrel stuff? Or NYT best-sellers?
It's mostly indie and Amazon imprints.

There is some really good stuff, if you like paranormal romance
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
There are some good books but you have to wade through a lot of other stuff.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Sean Platt has quite a few books in KU, and he's not romance.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd never get my money's worth out of KU at $13.99/m (and yes, it includes GST)...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Yes, I think you are right.

I presume Amazon AU charges in local currency, although I don't know for sure as I haven't transferred either my book account or my Audible account over to Australia yet.

Firstly because I didn't know if the range was the same, and secondly because I wasn't confident that I could always just go back to the US account, and finally because I always swore I wouldn't do it until Amazon had a full Australian store.

The currency exchange fees bite, however
I discovered the other day that you can switch back and forth if you want. I dont know how much of a limit there is on the number of times you can do that.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote