Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Kindle PW 2nd G -> Kobo Glo migration

Hello there,

I'm considering a move from Kindle PW 2nd gen to Kobo Glo or Aura HD. While it's relatively easy to find information about the device itself, it's harder to find information about the "cloud" element of Kobo ecosystem. Perhaps you'll be able to help me learn more about it?

Right now majority of my books are DRMd mobis I've bought from Amazon. About 20% of my library are unDRMed files from other sources. All of those are uploaded to Amazon's "Personal Document" thingy, and as such, both my physical Kindle and Kindle App on Android tablet can read those. Desktop app can't, but that's not really relevant.

Will I be able to get the same experience with Kobo? I can see that they say they allow your own uploads, but I can't really find *how* do you do it (eg. is it sending over email). Will I be able to easily upload all of my books (after dedrming of course) to Kobo library and have it available on Android tablet via Kobo app? Any limits? Quirks?

I'm interested in your experience with third-party books on Kobo ecosystem. If someone went similar route (Amazon -> Kobo), I'm all ears :)

Thanks!
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think Amazon is the only ereader you can do that with. Personally, I prefer to side load using Calibre.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon is the only one, yeah. You can sideload books, of course. But that doesn't give you syncing.

In general:

A number of iOS/Android apps can sync/backup their own data, so other instances of said app can be identical.

I believe you can read books uploaded to Google Books on both Android and iOS. but it and Amazon are the only services I know of which do 3rd-party ebooks on both. And only Amazon adds an e-ink ereader to the mix.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Bummer.

Thanks for the replies. I was under an impression that you can upload your own files to their "cloud" storage, but after a closer look it looks like it's not the case.

Now to make a decision which set of downsides I prefer...
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You won't get syncing with non-Kobo books, as others have said.

You can use Calibre content server, Dropbox, etc for cloud storage. However there are also the practicality aspects - it's a matter of just how many books you need to have available on the move. For the vast majority of people, the on-device storage is plenty, and of course there's the SD card option available.

Last edited by meeera; 03-27-2014 at 10:33 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have both a Paperwhite and a Kobo Aura. Most of my books are DRM free so it was easy to convert them from mobi to ePub. I initially loaded them via Calibre using the Kobo utilities plug in to create collections on my Kobo. New books I load into Dropbox and add directly to the Kobo via the web browser.

No syncing with any other device.

I don't send to Amazon either, I side load via USB to my Paperwhite so the Aura works the same for me, although with the ease of adding new books to my Aura via Dropbox it's actually easier to get a new book on my Aura than my Paperwhite.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
although with the ease of adding new books to my Aura via Dropbox it's actually easier to get a new book on my Aura than my Paperwhite.
How is it any easier to do this on the Aura than it is on the Paperwhite, you can load books via the browser from Dropbox on both can you not? It's not something I do very often but I have done it a couple of times on my old Kindle?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
How is it any easier to do this on the Aura than it is on the Paperwhite, you can load books via the browser from Dropbox on both can you not? It's not something I do very often but I have done it a couple of times on my old Kindle?
I've struggled to get the Paperwhite browser to work properly so I don't use it. I find it freezes and I never actually get to the right place to download a book directly into the Paperwhite.

I probably need to try again tbh, but it's always been a pain.

On the Aura the browser seems to work seamlessly.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I use dropbox on my my glo and pw2 but I prefer the calibre server. I bookmarked the server settings in my glo and pw2 browser which makes it pretty quick.

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 03-29-2014 at 11:45 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I use dropbox on my my glo and pw2 but I prefer the calibre server. I bookmarked the server settings in my glo and pw2 browser which makes it pretty quick.

Penny
Actually that's right, the Calibre server is great and it can be accessible via the internet any where in the world, as long as the host computer is running! and it can be password protected, interestingly it could also be used to share free books across the internet if one so chose.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote