Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
40% off this weekend at Delphi Classics

I received an email today that Delphi Classics is offering 40% off their complete catalog this weekend with a total purchase of $10 or more. They are celebrating the recent completion of their third series of books. The code to use is SERIESCOMPLETE.

Delphi Classics offers large collections of works by numerous authors, with most volumes also containing one or more biographies about the author as well as numerous extra features, and many volumes are richly illustrated. Most or all of the volumes are thousands of pages in length, yet the average price is around $3 or so (before discount). I've found the collections to be well formatted, and seem to be relatively error-free when compared to other public domain collections.

This is a great opportunity to stock up on large collections of works by your favorite classic authors and poets.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
And I thought it was only me, because I was special.

Now I learn that grandma and the killer next door, along with the trash collector who took out the bodies, have all received the same special.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Thanks for the code
Just one question - is there anywhere on Delphi site information on who are the translators of translated works? I can't seem to be able to find it
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And I thought it was only me, because I was special.

Now I learn that grandma and the killer next door, along with the trash collector who took out the bodies, have all received the same special.

Don
I heard you were special
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Thanks for the code
Just one question - is there anywhere on Delphi site information on who are the translators of translated works? I can't seem to be able to find it

The translators works are all in the public domain (unless a translator has given his or he permission.)

Delphi sometimes will mention them on their website (if I remember correctly); also, checking out the free, individual titles on Amazon (for example) can sometimes yield results. Too, if you go to Amazon and open one of the Delphi Classics titles, you can sometimes see who has translated what. This is very limited information, I realize, but it's sometimes helpful.

But basically, for the most part these are well-known translators from an earlier era.

ADDED: I've bout about 10 of their titles, and I'm very satisfied with them. They're useful if (like me), one wants to have one humongous ebook of an author's work on an ebook Reader.

Don
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.
I checked Zola sample on Amazon, but they don't have name of the translator in the contents and I can't see all the novels. Oh, well, I do know in majority of cases which translations are in public domain. Just didn't think of that
Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Delphi Classics website crash

I placed an order for 8 books without any problem.

Then, about one hour later, I wished to purchase 4 more and the website crashed, and without getting my books (although I was charged for them).

The page is now refusing to load. Much of this is no doubt due to the 40% discount. This is a huge savings.

I'll email them in the morning and try to get the 4 remaining books I purchased.

Don
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've pretty much given up on Delphi Classics.

After their previous server crash which destroyed all user data, no backups to restore that user data and the loss of access to *all* previously purchased books, I'm less than eager to spend anymore money with them.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I've pretty much given up on Delphi Classics.

After their previous server crash which destroyed all user data, no backups to restore that user data and the loss of access to *all* previously purchased books, I'm less than eager to spend anymore money with them.

I understand your concern and fully empathize with you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one. But don't be surprised if I join you.

Don
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The Delphi Classics order was fulfilled and waiting for me to download.

NO PROBLEM!

I think this is the last day of the 40% off sale.

Don
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
jmilica
Banned

Lucky you!
I couldn't make my purchase since they use Pay Pal and me and Pay Pal have a problem since I cancelled their services two years back.
But I am sure I'll be able to get what I want from some other source
Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I heard you were special

Don
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Lucky you!
I couldn't make my purchase since they use Pay Pal and me and Pay Pal have a problem since I cancelled their services two years back.
But I am sure I'll be able to get what I want from some other source
You can sign in as a guest, which is what I do. It doesn't commit you to anything. In fact, I ordered 3 times from them in the past 2 days, and each time I signed in as a guest I had to fill in the information all over again.

By the way, I picked up that Zola title because of you. I just started reading his first novel, the one that caused him to be fired from his job.

The novel was also banned from the United States for a few decades.

Don
Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
jmilica
Banned

Oh, I made my account with Delphi and all, but payment is the problem (not that same edition is not available on Amazon as well).
I haven't read that one yet, but I can recommend Therese Raquin and the whole of Rougon-Macquart cycle (though I read different translation and not the complete cycle). Also I see they included J'Accuse which has a rather interesting historical background (famous scandal known as Dreyfus affair).
I hope you'll enjoy Zola.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Over a year ago, I purchased two Delphi Classics from Amazon.

In checking Delphi's pages on current version numbers, I saw that my two were now older versions.

I contacted Amazon today and went through the process of deleting the older two and getting the updates.

I'm a huge fan of classics and now own about 20 of these Delphi Classics titles. They're wonderful collections.

Don