Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My Glo finally started picking up that an upgrade was available last night. It locked up last night at 100% downloaded, so I thought I'd try the public library's internet tonight.

1st attempt, same as last night.

2nd attempt, just a few minutes ago, some delay at 100%, but then updated without issue.

So maybe the files Murg reported changed made a difference. Yay! uh, Yea?

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
So maybe the files Murg reported changed made a difference. Yay! uh, Yea?
Maybe, maybe not.

Apparently, I used the safe way to load the firmware, I sideloaded it.

Some reports are perculating that the changes to the firmware don't (may not?) address this issue.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
still freezes over wifi (even after waiting 5 minutes to see if it did something after 100%, but nope)...and just like that other person had happen, the desktop app doesn't say there's an update to install. going to try the developer link.
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
i was able to update using the .zip file from the developer's corner. weird :/

when i went into the .kobo folder on my kobo, i noticed there was a file called "kobo-update-2.4.0.zip"...it was there from my failed wifi attempts. should i just delete that file now that 2.4.0 is already installed?
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post

when i went into the .kobo folder on my kobo, i noticed there was a file called "kobo-update-2.4.0.zip"...it was there from my failed wifi attempts. should i just delete that file now that 2.4.0 is already installed?
It's safe to delete. Won't bother with the request for file information -- see my reply to your other post.

It's deja vu all over again...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The firmware upgrade should have been copied into the .kobo directory located in the root of the Kobo's internal storage and not directly into the root. The fun on a Macintosh is that it hides folders with names starting with a . so you need to jump through some hoops to locate the folder.

You can check the URL below for a bit of help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta20623?viewlocale=en_us

Regards,
David
Or, just mount your KOBOeReader, and from the finder, go to the menu: Go -> "Go to folder..." Type in: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo ...and hit "Go."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's funny.... I tend to do a lot of the file manipulation on my Kobo from the Windows command line. I often wonder why Mac users don't do this as well; a simple "cd .kobo" will work regardless of the directory being hidden, or a "cp some_file .kobo"
Because, dragging and dropping from the Finder is a lot faster, if you know how to quickly view a hidden file. And, if you don't know how to quickly view a hidden file, you probably also don't know how to use the terminal or which commands to use to copy stuff over from the terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post

Hah, so it seems like the freeze after the download via Wifi is due to the device having trouble unpacking the zip file...?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
And, if you don't know how to quickly view a hidden file, you probably also don't know how to use the terminal or which commands to use to copy stuff over from the terminal.
I know ... it's just that so SO often I see people asking questions or looking for ways to do things via the GUI that could be done so much easier from the command line.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
Cooper523
Cooper523 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have this exact same problem and I have not been able to update the software. It gets stuck through WIFI and the Kobo Desktop!
What should I do?
Cooper523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #24
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper523 View Post
I have this exact same problem and I have not been able to update the software. It gets stuck through WIFI and the Kobo Desktop!
What should I do?
You could manually update it. I think the problem is somewhere with the unzipping of the file. In any case, adding the unzipped files has always worked so far:

Here's the Glo's 2.4.0 and here's instructions.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Mine also worked on second try after freezing at 100% downloaded the first time (wifi). Weird.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
String
String began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One, Aura HD, Forma, Mini, Sage
I had the same problem three tries and rest sets .
Took out SD CARD and tried and it loaded with no problem.

Why I don't know
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Mine also worked on second try after freezing at 100% downloaded the first time (wifi). Weird.
Might as well chime in. In last 48 hours, my Glo downloaded new software (wifi) and froze after indicator hit 100%.

Did a pinhole reset, re-tried same process (wifi), and all went well.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hah, so it seems like the freeze after the download via Wifi is due to the device having trouble unpacking the zip file...?
Nah, just not cleaning up after itself when it crashes probably.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #29
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm beginning to think this is just another undocumented feature of the new firmware designed to release the user from having to answer yet another "Are you really sure you want to do this?" prompt... At least the first time around.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm beginning to think this is just another undocumented feature of the new firmware designed to release the user from having to answer yet another "Are you really sure you want to do this?" prompt... At least the first time around.
Ha...
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.4.0, firmware, freezes, glo, reset