Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Backup files

I'm not sure where Sigil is stashing its data files. When finished, I seem to have a couple of sets of files on my PC, and I'm looking to backup the data files for security. I'd also like to backup & store previous versions of my book. Sigil is being coy about where it is storing the data files (Documents & Settings, in a registry folder, perhaps?). Can anyone confirm the true location of the final data files?
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think you can better place this in the Sigil sub-forum...

I don't really know what you mean. The datafiles is where you save them. There is no versioning in Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The *.epub file contains everything. That's the ebook. That's what Sigil saves.

There's some scratch files stored in a temp folder, but that's not going to get you the versioning you're looking for... only saving your epub at various stages under various names will do that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
As you posted in your other topic (now both in the Sigil forum since this was moved):

When you save your book in Sigil, it is saved as an EPUB file. Where you save the EPUB file is up to you. That EPUB file contains everything about your book - all text, images, styles, fonts, metadata - otherwise ereaders would not be able to read and display your book.

So if you want to backup your book, then all you need to do is backup your EPUB.

I'd recommend copying the EPUB to another name every so often (e.g. myepub-10june2012-2), or making sure your EPUB is in a directly you backup regularly.

Now, if you are talking about other Sigil files, which I don't think you are, like window positions and sizes, Sigil preferences, user dictionaries, then they are stored in the usual OS locations but I'll skip describing them in this post to avoid confusion.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
When you save your book in Sigil, it is saved as an EPUB file. Where you save the EPUB file is up to you. That EPUB file contains everything about your book - all text, images, styles, fonts, metadata - otherwise ereaders would not be able to read and display your book.

So if you want to backup your book, then all you need to do is backup your EPUB.

I'd recommend copying the EPUB to another name every so often (e.g. myepub-10june2012-2), or making sure your EPUB is in a directly you backup regularly.
Yes, that's what I was looking for. Another user supplied a useful wiki link that explained everything. Sorry everything got scattered. I was trying to keep the entire thread in one place.
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert