Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Balaji
Balaji began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question -webkit-hyphens: none; does it work in iBooks?

Hi

I understand that I should use
-webkit-hyphens:none;
to prevent the headings from getting hyphenated while viewed in a large font on iBooks.

I want to know if I set iBooks' setting as auto-hyphenation "on" will "-webkit-hyphens:none;" still work and prevent the headings from getting hyphenated.

Should I use "-webkit-hyphens:none; !Important" instead?

Guide me please.

Balaji

Last edited by Balaji; 08-23-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try it and you will know...

I must say, is -webit-hyphens:none part of CCS2? Probably not. It don't think it is part of the ePUB specifications
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, the CSS spec says that if a property is not supported, it must be silently ignored. So, as long as it's not needed for proper display (and -webit-hyphens certainly isn't), it does no harm; just don't assume it will do anything.

However, I think there are reports of ADE ignoring the whole stylesheet whenever there is a property it doesn't recognize. If that's true, it would be harmful indeed, and it is this behaviour which goes against the spec.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote