Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony continues to see the potential of e-books, says BW

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...n_id=rss_magzn

Of course, nothing there really that is new to us.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One thing for me: That they are now selling the Reader in Best Buy. I'll have to stop by my local store and see if there's actually one there, as opposed to being an "order-only" product that most customers will never see.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
That's an article that takes a glimps of the future. It's dated 3 september 2007.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's presumably the cover date of the magazine. That's the date at which the magazine is taken off the shelves, so it's generally in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
That's an article that takes a glimps of the future. It's dated 3 september 2007.
*grin*
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Not a bad article, but I commented about the "80 books" storage (my SD card is going to allow about 1,300...) and that books can only be purchased at Connect, which doesn't take into account Baen, Steve Jordan, PG and here. (I forgot to mention Fictionwise.)

The opening up of other formats, though... I wonder if they were talking about Fictionwise? Or a deal with Mobipocket? (Which again makes me wonder if the whole Mobipocket down thing might be a problem with expansion to some other platform...)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the record, I stopped by Best Buy this AM while doing other morning shopping, and the reader is there.

Unfortunately, it is in a locked case in the back of the store, with no display model. Included in the case are 3 PDAs (the only ones they carry, and all Palms... how far we've fallen), which are on display to examine and handle. The guys in the computer section didn't even have keys to the case!

It's not going to be easy for anyone who doesn't already know about the reader to find or try it. No one in the store really knows anything about it (I didn't try to hunt up any Geek Squad boys to ask).

Still, the clerk allowed me to take it out of the box and get a better look (it's smaller than I remembered). It's retailing at USD$299.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
One thing for me: That they are now selling the Reader in Best Buy. I'll have to stop by my local store and see if there's actually one there, as opposed to being an "order-only" product that most customers will never see.
The Best Buy in Santa Clarita had one on display. It's actually thanks to Best Buy that led to me discovering this site and ordering one for 49.00 from Sony. (Best Buy wouldn't price match the Sony card offer, sorry to say)
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Considering that fact that they would have probably lost about $100 or more on the sale if they had done, this does not fill me with astonishment .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
My local Best Buy didn't seem to have it and when I asked, the help looked at me with a blank stare. They didn't seem to have ever heard the word "e-book reader" when I asked for the Sony.

Ok, I can understand if they were unaware of the Sony Reader, but not knowing what an "e-book reader" was?! Um, the geek squad wasn't geeky enough I suppose. Grrr....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
My local Best Buy didn't seem to have it and when I asked, the help looked at me with a blank stare. They didn't seem to have ever heard the word "e-book reader" when I asked for the Sony.

Ok, I can understand if they were unaware of the Sony Reader, but not knowing what an "e-book reader" was?! Um, the geek squad wasn't geeky enough I suppose. Grrr....
Print off the website advert for the Sony and then bring it in and watch then go "um.. huh?"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Considering that fact that they would have probably lost about $100 or more on the sale if they had done, this does not fill me with astonishment .
Well when I bought my 50" plasma tv from them I also bought a 900.00 surge protector for it. (Dont ask me why- it seemed a good idea at the time) Thankfully it blew a fuse two years later. Took it in to Best Buy and rather than replace a 50 cent part they gave me a 900.00 store credit. I promply bought a much cheaper Monster power strip with it and have been using the balance for movies etc. I would say they lost a lot more than a hundred dollars on that transaction. Though to be fair I still have to use my 900.00 at Best Buy.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
The last sentence of the article is " But in this case, it may be that all the marketing in the world won't help sway book lovers if they are just not ready to curl up with a hard plastic screen."

I used to think this -- before I got my ebook reader. But now that I have it, it is totally just not the issue people seem to think it is. I love curling up with my reader. I don't know if the difference is the new e-ink screen or just the size (it's not a bulky laptop computer.) But if we could change this mindset of people it might help ebooks catch on.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The only thing that really has any chance of addressing that mindset obstacle is exposing people to devices like the Reader.

Even so, some folks will always prefer paper, and that choice is certainly their prerogative, I'd just like to have e-books catch on enough to also be an comparably viable option.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The only thing that really has any chance of addressing that mindset obstacle is exposing people to devices like the Reader.

Even so, some folks will always prefer paper, and that choice is certainly their prerogative, I'd just like to have e-books catch on enough to also be an comparably viable option.
I'm sure it will happen... once the "exposure" part happens. But based on boxes hidden in backs of stores, un-knowledgable staff, no real marketing effort, etc, that's not going to happen anytime soon.