Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Creating Collections on the Sony 950

I recently purchased a load of ebooks from Smashwords. Because of the quantity, I want to load them onto my 950 into collections. However, I do not want Calibre to do this automatically. Last time it did that it was a disaster.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to do it using Windows Explorer and dragging and dropping into a collection? When I looked at my 950 using Explorer, I didn't see any of the already existing collections listed.

2. Is there an easy way to tell Calibre what collection to add an ebook to and to have different ebooks that are being batch uploaded via Calibre assigned to different collections? By that I mean, assign ebook A to mystery, ebook B to scifi, ebook C to mystery, ebook D to historical fantasy, etc.

3. Do the collections have to preexist on the 950?

4. Any other suggestions? Because I already have about 100 ebooks on my 950 that are not assigned to collections, I don't want to just add the new acquisitions and then manually put them in collections. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
1. No.
2. Use tags. The books will be automatically added to a collection named after the tag.
3. No.
4. Not 100% sure but I think you can edit the books that are already on the device using Calibre. You can also create collections and add books to them on the device itself. It might be a bit tedious with just a touchscreen, but if you plan to have just a couple of collections, it shouldn't take that long to sort them.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks, Igorsk, for the quick response.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
When I add books from Smashwords (or any publisher really, but Smashwords seems the worst) the first thing I do is

- Select books I just added.
- Select Edit metadata in bulk.
- Check Remove all tags. Then I add my tags to each book individually.

To manage your collections and how they appear, go to Preferences>Advanced>Plugins>Device Interface plugins>SONY Device interface. Select that plugin and click Customize plugin. The bottom entry allows you to set collections based on data. Mine are tags and series. That way when I send to the Sony, I get collections based on the tags I use for the books and also for series I create.

In order to keep your collections from changing when you don't want them to, go to Preferences>Import/Export>Sending books to device>Metadata management. Change this to Manual Management. Click Save.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just use Reader Library. It makes managing collections trivial.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I use a custom column in Calibre for collections and configured the SONY device interface plugin to use that column instead of tags. That way I get to keep all of my tags, but I don't get thousands of collections on my devices.

If you want more details, I shared my collection settings in this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=3
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote