Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
kinetic
kinetic began at the beginning.

Device: none currently
Usb charging ?

Hello all,

Is it possible to charge Iliad from a usb port ? (since iliad ps goes up to 1.2 amps and usb does only 0.25 amps..)
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
No, it's not possible. The iLiad needs ~12W (12V * 1A), while USB only gives about 1.25 W (5V * 0.25A).
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
In fact, this lack is the single thing that keeps me from buying an Iliad. If iRex offered a battery pack, I'd consider it, but I refuse to buy any product that has a rechargeable battery and does not also have a way to plug in some sort of emergency power.

I go on long plane trips, and there's no way I'm going to risk being caught with a dead battery and no access to a power outlet to recharge it.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
engunneer
engunneer began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
USB ports usually offer 0.5A instead of 0.25, but still, not enough.
engunneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
rihards
rihards began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
? why hurry, we could charge slower, with less current, from usb!!!
rihards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Since iLiad has a USB socket, is it possible to add a regulator (to increase input voltage) into iLiad and connect it to the rechargable battery? Then, iLiad can be charged via USB socket.
I am not E/E background, so it's just pure imagination.

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-14-2009 at 01:40 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
You could modify the Travel Hub, include a converter from 5V to 12V and solder it to the charging cables. But I don't know whether this influences the iLiads USB capabilities. Maybe it even fries your USB chip if some voltage fluctuation occurs. This setup would also be very lossy as you have to convert from 5 to 12V and internal from 12 to 3.7V again.

Hmm, the Travel hub needs 9-12V input voltage. Why not take a 9V battery, construct some kind of adapter and attach it to the hub? This would make a nice emergency power source. Would the battery give enough energy to charge the device completely?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I am curious about how does DR1000 recharge via USB. Suppose the e-ink screen of both iLiad and DR1000 are the same except their respective dimension, then there must be some electronic components inside DR1000 to facilitate voltage change. Maybe we can copy DR1000's circuit design and apply it on iLiad.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
rrustema
rrustema began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad since 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
You could modify the Travel Hub, include a converter from 5V to 12V and solder it to the charging cables. But I don't know whether this influences the iLiads USB capabilities.
I find this very interesting. I have the old clumsy hub lying around since I bought the travel hub. I would like to solder a USB plug to it (and perhaps some converters) so I could charge the iLiad overnight. And indeed, I am not in a hurry to charge it, I am interested in travelling as light as possible. Just a tiny USB cable to hook up to my laptop USB port would be just fine.

Is this theoretically possible? I do not plan to use the same connection to transfer data. I guess that is what you meant with 'USB capabilities'. I just want it to charge my iLiad, nothing more.
rrustema is offline   Reply With Quote