Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #466
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Seams it doesn't work on 5.3.3?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #467
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Seams it doesn't work on 5.3.3?
Would you please provide a bit more information than "doesn't work"?

Hints:
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #468
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Well, it didn't worked - i.e. Kindle's ugly pictures appeared after I've updated from 5.3.1 to 5.3.3.

Then I've uninstalled hack with uninstaller provided, put empty file "last" (putting empty file "cover" still gave me ugly Kindle's pictures) and that saved the day. Now I have last reading page and inscription "Press the power switch to wake"

P.S. My Kindle is unregistered and never get online, wi-fi is always off. When bought it, put jailbrake, kindlet jailbreak, update_linkss_0.7.N_install.bin and coolreader. After updating, put kindlet jailbrake and seen those ugly Kindle's screen-savers.

Last edited by stasys; 02-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #469
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Well, it didn't worked - i.e. Kindle's ugly pictures appeared after I've updated from 5.3.1 to 5.3.3.

Then I've uninstalled hack with uninstaller provided,
Why?...and did you reinstall it?

Quote:
put empty file "last" (putting empty file "cover" still gave me ugly Kindle's pictures) and that saved the day. Now I have last reading page and inscription "Press the power switch to wake"
After you place the empty 'cover' file in the linkss folder, did you disconnect usb cable and do a menu>settings>restart? Also, you need to have a book open for several seconds (10-15?) before it will generate an image of the cover...if you open a book and close it rapidly, nothing will happen.
This hack works very well. If it is not working for you, you did something wrong so start over and follow the directions closely. Good luck
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #470
QuietImpact
QuietImpact began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Screensavers not working

Hi everyone,

I got my PW a few months ago and was rocking the firmware it came with (5.2.0 I think) for a while and after then latest patch came out I got my screensavers working again. Now today I added a few more, same way as always, now up to 32 images, all png, all 758x1024. Now the screensavers hack won't work properly.

And its odd, because it will display the images for 00-03, but after 04 it will just dim the light and the screen will refresh. Now it doesn't matter what order I have the screensavers in the kindle as I have randomise on and so its a different image that it dies on, but always 04. And I always restarted after putting in new images.

So I then tried to put less in, same effect. Tried to only put images that have been working for weeks. No avail there, uninstalled and reinstalled the hack after cleaning out the folder, I cycled the standard screensaver that came with it that was fine. Loaded up some screensavers I am confident in and have used for a few months, now those won't work either.

Any ideas guys?

(I am away for the weekend, so won't be replying till Sunday sorry but it would be awesome to come back to a fix)
QuietImpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #471
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Install custom screensaver on Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite

For those with Waterstones PW!

---------------------------------------------
Downgrade, Jailbreak, Upgrade, Hack

- Downgraded to 5.3.1 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- download file and insert in the root folder(that is not a folder but the top level of "kindle". Then install update via settings menu

- Installed jailbreak from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
- followed the readme - two files in root, one in documents

- Upgraded to 5.3.3 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- Same procedure as downgrade

- Installed dev certs from here: http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/51
- insert into root and update from menu

- installed rescue pack from here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2290044
- insert into root and update from menu

- installed the hack from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
- downloaded the links and took the install-file and inserted in the root folder. Then did a update

Install USBnetwork, SSH, delete Waterstones screensaver

- Install USBnetwork. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645
- Now on your Kindle go to [Menu] -> Settings -> [Menu] -> Update Your Kindle. Once done, eject and unplug your Paperwhite.

- Now we need to test if it's installed correctly. On your Paperwhite, tap the search icon at the top. Type in ";un" without the quotations. It'll go back to the home screen thereafter. Now plug your Kindle into your Mac. If it doesn't show up as a device like it normally does, it's worked!

- SSH into your device and navigate to the waterstones screensaver image in /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

- Delete image and reboot device

It works

Last edited by crepewolf; 02-21-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Fixed links
crepewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #472
tueftler17
tueftler17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW (2)
My PW shoes wrong cover

Hi!

After installing screensavers hack my Kindle PW shows wrong cover. It is not the book I read before, it shows a random cover.

When I look in the filesystem I find the wrong screensaver-picture in the cover_cache directory (cover_B0048H4B7I.png) and in the screensavers directory (bg_medium_ss00.png).

Deleting these files and restarting the kindle PW does not help, after a couple of seconds the wrong files are back again and of course shown by the screensaver :-(. Deleting the book the wrong cover is taken from changes the screensavers picture to another wrong one.

Does anyone have an idea where I can have look to analyse this problem?

Details for the PW: FW: 5.3.1, linkss-0.7N, phyton 0.3.N, jailbreak and kindlet-jailbreak.

The only other custom thing is the CollectionsManager, nothing else special.

Thanks in advance,

Tueftler17
tueftler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #473
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Finally got the Screensaver hack to work on my PW after uninstalling and reinstalling many times (don't know what I did wrong). It's working great now.

Just a quick question, how do I get black and pinfo to work? Read the whole thread from start to finish but if it's explained here, must have been too technical for me to grasp
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #474
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Finally got the Screensaver hack to work on my PW after uninstalling and reinstalling many times (don't know what I did wrong). It's working great now.

Just a quick question, how do I get black and pinfo to work? Read the whole thread from start to finish but if it's explained here, must have been too technical for me to grasp
I'm not 100 % certain, but I think you need to have done the python update part of the hack to make these work, so if you haven't done that, do first. Then.....

To get the pinfo banner, just place an empty file named 'pinfo' into the linkss folder.
To get the 'black' to work, place a blank file named 'black' into the linkss folder.

The easiest way to make a blank file with no extension is to take one that is already provided by the hack (such as 'autoreboot'), copy it and then rename it 'pinfo' or 'black'. If you decide to change your personal information after the pinfo banner is created, you need to go into the linkss>screensavers folder and delete the previously created pinfo banner so that a new one will be created.

PS- the info for this can be found in the first post. Open the spoiler for 'change log' near the bottom of the post.

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #475
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you, GoSharks! I tried it and it worked I guess I didn't read everything closely enough, didn't even notice the ChangeLog spoiler
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #476
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Rather than start another thread and have to keep track of even more of them, I'd like to post a link here to something that feels like it MIGHT be related to the screensaver hack.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=72

Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! (I think I just said that, but...)

My question/problem is described in the last two paragraphs.

Last edited by SampleAndy; 02-22-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added clarification
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #477
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Ok sooo this hack was working fine when I first tried, it but now it's started displaying the first book I read and wouldn't show the current one. So I used the "update_linkss_0.7.N_uninstall.bin" and then reinstalled the hack, I also converted my book covers to 758x1024 (24bit) and embedded them in the ebook using calibre to re-convert the mobi files. Now when I put the kindle into sleep mode I get a blank screen and if I look into my linkss/screensavers folder there is indeed a "bg_medium_ss00" blank white png image that's been generated. I know the cover is the correct size/file type because if I drop a .png cover of the book into the screensavers folder it displays correctly.
I'm using a Kindle PW with "kpw_jb_520-531"
I installed "kindle-python-0.3.N" then "kindle-linkss-0.7.N"
I have dropped cover file into the linkss folder.
I have the "Recent books" option selected on my kindle menu.
I've tried restarts and shutdown restarts but to no avail, is there any files left over from an "0.7.N_uninstall.bin" that I need to manually delete ?

Thanks.

Last edited by gargoyle67; 03-08-2013 at 11:41 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #478
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@gargoyle67
The first thing I would do is to go into the linkss>screensaver folder and delete the blank screensaver that has been generated, then restart and then open a book that you have never opened before and that you 'know' the cover image works on....wait 20-30 sec, then go to sleep mode.
This will let you know if the hack is able to generate an image ...if there is already an image associated with a particular book (even a blank white one) the hack will not generate a new image of that book even if you delete and then reload the book to your PW. The hack does not delete old images files, you have to do that manually if you want that image gone.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #479
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for the reply GoSharks,
I'd already done that though and keep getting the same result =(
I've also got KUAL installed along with Kterm & Frotz, so I don't know if something from one of those is causing an issue ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #480
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

So no matter what you do it keeps generating a new blank white image? Odd... Have you tried doing the 'pinfo' part of the hack or 'black' to see if those get rendered correctly?

Additional- make sure you are disconnecting the usb cable before you do a menu>settings>restart.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch