Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #151
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Touch
Part of it, yes. At least you have the reader application and configurations, which fix all the issues with pdf's not zooming correctly and epubs not jumping to the last page. I believe those are the features you are after and those are in the KoboRoot.tgz.

I highly suggest that you go to the first page in this thread and download the kobo firmware 2.3.2 zip file. If you open that, you will find the KoboRoot.tgz image. From your post I connot discern which KoboRoot is from which firmware version. If that last 68MB file is from that firmware update, then of course you can skip that step.

To actually do the update connect your Kobo to the PC via USB.

Create a backup of that drive. Copy all contents from the kobo into a directory on your computer. The backup may erase your kobo DB, making it look as if all your ebooks are gone.

When you open the Kobo drive in the explorer, you should see a .kobo directory. Copy-Paste the KoboRoot.tgz file from the 2.3.2 firmware zip file into that .kobo directory. Eject your Kobo and disconnect it from the USB.

The Kobo should recognize the update automatically and show you the "updating" image. After it is done, it will restart. Then you have firmware version 2.3.2.

If you are suddenly missing your ebooks after that, open your backup folder and locate the file "KoboReader.sqlite" in the .kobo folder. Copy that file back onto the .kobo folder of your device and you will have your ebook database back.
ichrispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #152
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I've sideloaded all my books with Calibre anyway, so if they go missing I'll reload them.

Might as well try it, I can always do a factory reset again.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #153
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Again, just to make really sure: Please (please) make sure you do not copy the upgrade folder from the zip to the kobo. Only the KoboReader.tgz file.

I am curious if the N902B is using the Glo version, but I'd rather not talk you through the process of fixing it if it goes wrong. But if anyone is out there who knows how to backup and restore an sd card and has access to a N902B, please do tell if the Kobo Touch firmware works for you. we kind of could use a version boundary for the updates.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #154
ameer
ameer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch (N905B)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
Again, just to make really sure: Please (please) make sure you do not copy the upgrade folder from the zip to the kobo. Only the KoboReader.tgz file.

I am curious if the N902B is using the Glo version, but I'd rather not talk you through the process of fixing it if it goes wrong. But if anyone is out there who knows how to backup and restore an sd card and has access to a N902B, please do tell if the Kobo Touch firmware works for you. we kind of could use a version boundary for the updates.
I have this model (ad version)
Successfully updated it (with update folder)
Now .. if only I can fix it to show correctly arabic epub (I added a font that support arabic but kobo arranged it from left to right , it suppose to be right to left) << strangely arabic are correctly arranged in title of the book!
ameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #155
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer View Post
Now .. if only I can fix it to show correctly arabic epub (I added a font that support arabic but kobo arranged it from left to right , it suppose to be right to left) << strangely arabic are correctly arranged in title of the book!
If you are reading an ePub, rename it to have ".kepub.epub" as the extension. This will force it to be read using the application used for kepubs. Others have reported that this will handle RTL languages. I don't remember if anyone has mentioned arabic.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #156
ameer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are reading an ePub, rename it to have ".kepub.epub" as the extension. This will force it to be read using the application used for kepubs. Others have reported that this will handle RTL languages. I don't remember if anyone has mentioned arabic.

[Image too large - MODERATOR]
That's what I'm talking about, thank you so much
(- btw: the paragraph is still LTR but everything render ok)

While searching for a fix, I've found this:
https://github.com/mta452/SheenFigure

I think it will fix the arabic/hebrew completely
can someone here compile it as a patch to kobo firmware? << not sure even if this a correct Q !!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #157
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

Haven't had the time to do it yet, but I will post here how it went.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #158
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer View Post
Thanks for that. Did you use the Touch firmware or the Glo firmware?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #159
ameer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thank you so much
changing extension worked perfectly

- I replied with a picture but it didn't get posted

Edit:
I think we can fix arabic and other RTL completely by patching the firmware with a corrected library
https://github.com/mta452/SheenFigure
this may help, but I don't know a thing about these tools

Last edited by ameer; 01-18-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #160
ameer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks for that. Did you use the Touch firmware or the Glo firmware?
Touch firmware

- This is the 3rd time (deleted) reply , what the wrong with the forum? I just thanked a member for helping my kobo from collecting dust!
Thank you so much "davidfor" the kepub extension fixed it
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #161
Chocky
Addict

Using the Touch firmware and just transferring the KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo folder, it didn't like it at all.

I have some books on sd card and it tells me the library is empty, even though when I go to the library it lists all the books and even loads the book I am reading to the right page.

It didn't go to sleep mode using the slider, and I had to reset. It then went to sleep mode, but wouldn't start again without another reset.

So it's back to factory reset, and 2.3.1 then
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #162
Chocky
Addict

Just completed factory reset and Kobo Desktop downloaded 2.3.1

I managed to copy the downloaded zip file before it was deleted and KoboRoot is 69,113,998 in size, so I definitely have the Touch firmware.

Wonder why the 2.3.2 doesn't work then?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #163
ichrispa
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Using the Touch firmware and just transferring the KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo folder, it didn't like it at all.

I have some books on sd card and it tells me the library is empty, even though when I go to the library it lists all the books and even loads the book I am reading to the right page.
As I said: that's normal. The update overwrites/resets your database. Restore the one from your backup folder and the books should show up again. See my post above.

Quote:
It didn't go to sleep mode using the slider, and I had to reset. It then went to sleep mode, but wouldn't start again without another reset.

So it's back to factory reset, and 2.3.1 then
That's new to me. I have notices that the restart is somewhat delayed on 2.3.2, meaning that the screen shows "Power off" about 5 seconds before the power is really of. So a restart using the slider takes some waiting. But I never had to resort to resets with 2.3.2 yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #164
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
As I said: that's normal. The update overwrites/resets your database. Restore the one from your backup folder and the books should show up again. See my post above.
No it doesn't. Unless you do a factory reset or logout during the update the internal database will still be there.

And restoring a database from a previous firmware might not work. The database structure gets change with most releases. It gets updated during the firmware update process, but I wouldn't guarantee that it was fixed if you replaced it with an old one later on. From memory, 2.3.2 uses DBVersion 69 and 2.3.1 uses DBVersion 68. It is actually safer to go the other way as nearly all changes are to add columns or tables. But, there have been a couple of changes that might have caused problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #165
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Wonder why the 2.3.2 doesn't work then?
It didn't not work, you just didn't do the whole update. But now you know your Touch uses the Touch firmware, you could do the real update including the update folder and the other file.

So, to recap for the Kobo Touch it seems that:

- Models N905 and N905B use Touch firmware (Mrs_Often, Chocky, ameer)
- Model N905C uses Glo firmware (ichrispa)

Does anyone have other model numbers or other firmware experiences with the same numbers?

EDIT:
- Model N905C can also use Touch firmware (clsdclsd)

So this method of distinguishing between 'new' and 'old' Touch is not valid!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote