Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #13216
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's a difficult read if you expect it to be a novel. It's more like a collection of myths and legends told in a variety of styles, occasionally repeating itself.

I've read it all the way through, and if you're interested in the back story to LoTR, it's fascinating.
Puh-leezee...

I'm a wanna-be Tolkien fan who wants to evolve into a Tolkien Geek. Thus, I will surely enjoy it.

I just ordered from The Book Depository, an Atlas of Middle Earth and a Complete Guide of Middle Earth.

Can't wait. HOO-RAY
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #13217
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Puh-leezee...

I'm a wanna-be Tolkien fan who wants to evolve into a Tolkien Geek. Thus, I will surely enjoy it.

I just ordered from The Book Depository, an Atlas of Middle Earth and a Complete Guide of Middle Earth.

Can't wait. HOO-RAY
I think your expectations are out of line for the book. You will find it very hard to read and you won't like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #13218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going to be finishing up [b]The 9th Judgement by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro later today. As for what to start, I'm not sure yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #13219
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: A Rising Thunder by David Weber. The latest main-line Honor Harrington novel.
I enjoyed the book, and it would be unfair to say that nothing happens. But it's certainly just one more step in the saga without a significant story arc of its own.

Next up: Out of Whack by Jeff Strand.

I bought this back in 2005. I'm not sure why, now. But I suppose it's about time I tried reading it!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #13220
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think your expectations are out of line for the book. You will find it very hard to read and you won't like it.
I have to disappoint you. It's magnificent and I passed the first couple of chapters of which I thought to be brilliant. (Long live Melkor)
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #13221
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I have to disappoint you. It's magnificent and I passed the first couple of chapters of which I thought to be brilliant. (Long live Melkor)
Don't feel too bad. Jon thinks everybody's tastes are the same as his.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #13222
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't feel too bad. Jon thinks everybody's tastes are the same as his.
I dispute that statement.

He thinks everyone's tastes should be the same as his, and can't understand why they're not...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #13223
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Boom! by Mark Haddon. A lovely book.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #13224
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I have two on the devices right now. I have The Cinderella Pact bt Sarah Strohmeyer from the library on the Overdrive app on my phone. It is cute so far and a breezy read. Despite having a busy, miserable, distracting, and long day yesterday, I got through 15%. That is good for me these days, when I only seem to be able to focus on reading when I'm on vacation.

I have Terra Incognita by Ruth Downie (purchased) on my Kobo and my tablet. It is the second in a series of historically set mysteries. They take place in Roman-occupied Britain and the protagonist is a wonderfully snarky Roman doctor. I'll come back to it after I finish "Cinderella Pact."
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #13225
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished Have Glove, Will Travel by Bill ' Spaceman ' Lee.

-Very entertaining book for baseball fans. Some parts do seem a bit embellished to add more to the stories but I didn't mind because they were funny/entertaining to read. Book wraps up nicely and easy to read.

Just started reading 12 x 12 : A One Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream by William Powers
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #13226
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Boom! by Mark Haddon. A lovely book.
I'll have to put that on my list. I really enjoyed the curious incident one and have been meaning to read some more Haddon.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #13227
Provenzano
Banned
Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Provenzano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
I'm just finished Confessions of an English Opium-Eater and started Miscellaneous Essays. Both are by Thomas De Quincey.

Provenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #13228
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I dispute that statement.

He thinks everyone's tastes should be the same as his, and can't understand why they're not...
Color me corrected...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #13229
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I just started The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien and his son, Christopher Tolkien. Wish me luck, I heard it's a difficult read.
Also worthy of note; was the fact that Christopher Tolkien enlisted the help of Guy Gavriel Kay to finish parts of the Quenta Silmarillion. Just throwin' that fun fact out there... I'm not taking a stance on the good/bad, boring/exciting, worthy/unworthy front.

I'm reading Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Omnibus (Warhammer 40k) right now.
(Had to break out my antique thumb and forefinger page-turning apparatus for this one. They'd been working independently of each other for so long now that they had a bit of trouble working in concert at first—I'm not afraid to admit.)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #13230
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Silmarillion is a wonderful book, but anyone who reads it expecting it to be like LOTR is certainly in for a shock. I wouldn't say it's a difficult read, but it's very "dense".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote