Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thanks, Santo, that got you all the Karma I can give, even before I try it out.
You are welcome!
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Thanks, Santo, that got you all the Karma I can give, even before I try it out.
I'm resisting saying "What am I, chopped liver?!", but I think it's worth pointing out that Santo's approach doesn't make the formatting portable. It will then only work on iRiver Stories (specifically) that have those fonts (specifically) installed on them. The only alternative is to embed the fonts in the ePub file itself.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I'm resisting saying "What am I, chopped liver?!", but I think it's worth pointing out that Santo's approach doesn't make the formatting portable. It will then only work on iRiver Stories (specifically) that have those fonts (specifically) installed on them. The only alternative is to embed the fonts in the ePub file itself.
Sorry, Bran, didn't mean to be mean. Besides, didn't I give you karma too?

True, it doesn't make it portable, but I can have things on my Iriver with my own font, and I can even have my own font with other people's ebooks. Now why would I want to do that?

Seriously, I think it's good to know how my machine works, even with things that I may never use. Keeps the mind young, and at my age, you need that.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #19
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
True, it doesn't make it portable, but I can have things on my Iriver with my own font, and I can even have my own font with other people's ebooks.
My mistake then. You seemed to be asking in the context of preparing an ePub version of your book for use on other people's Storys and Kindles. That's why I thought it needed to be portable.

(For myself, any customisation of ePubs I'm doing I'm making portable, because I don't think my Story is going to last much longer. And despite having another two years of warranty on it, I think when this one dies I'll be going to another brand.)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
My mistake then. You seemed to be asking in the context of preparing an ePub version of your book for use on other people's Storys and Kindles. That's why I thought it needed to be portable.
Ah, yes, back when I originally asked the question, that was true. And for that purpose, of course you're right. I must make everything portable to any machine, and that can only mean embedded fonts, which I think I have now mastered.

However, I've discovered another possibility. As I think I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm learning Mandarin, and it occurred to me that my Iriver won't handle that. However, if I can load a font into the Iriver all I have to do is a simple css change to any book I can get, and I've already investigated getting some books in Mandarin. That's why I was interested in Santo's info.

Quote:
(For myself, any customisation of ePubs I'm doing I'm making portable, because I don't think my Story is going to last much longer. And despite having another two years of warranty on it, I think when this one dies I'll be going to another brand.)
Too right, Cobber. I don't think I've got two more years. I think we have two years altogether here in Sweden, and one has nearly gone. But I agree, the next one will probably not be an Iriver. And it won't be a Kindle unless Kindles handle epub by then.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote