Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
After a few minutes, most people no longer consciously "see" the flash. Your brain just "blots it out". There are a VERY few people that it bothers the hell out of, and who just can't live with it, but it's a very small percentage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
After a few minutes, most people no longer consciously "see" the flash. Your brain just "blots it out". There are a VERY few people that it bothers the hell out of, and who just can't live with it, but it's a very small percentage.
I wonder if a portion of those users have a condition similar to epilepsy? I'm sure some people want to have an issue with it just to say they have an issue with it but perhaps there is a devil at work there with a percentage of users.

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 04-05-2009 at 03:26 PM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I don't even notice the flip anymore, and I don't think I ever once I started reading my first book. The only time the flip seemed odd or annoying was when I was demoing it.

And FWIW, I also use the stock cover, and don't see myself changing until it's broken.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have noticed the flip when I upgraded from 500 to 505. They have different type of flashing when you turn a page and it took me maybe 2-3 weeks to completely ignore it (it didn't really bother me but sometimes I would notice it). Most likely if it were the first reader I would not notice it at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks everyone, for your comments!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I read fast, use medium-size text, and the 6" screen is small - so I'd be doing frequent page-turns.
For now I use a (LCD) netbook with the screen brightness turned down way low.

Please let me know if I am over-reacting, or if it really is annoying.
Thank you.
I am a very fast reader as well. I use the smaller font because a) I can see it and b) I want as many possible words on each page so I can avoid flipping frequently. I do get annoyed when I have a book that has few words on the page and I feel like I am constantly hitting the next page button, but, with most books, it's not a problem. I actually tend to hit the flip button while I'm reading the last sentence or two and the millisecond delay (or whatever it is) allows me to finish the sentence while it flashes to the next page.

I wish it were a bit faster, but it's really not any slower than a page turn on a pbook, as others have stated. It gives my brain a split second to rest before reading the next page, and you really do get used to it very quickly. So, from one fast reader to another, it's not a major issue for me at all.

I also use the stock cover and find it perfectly acceptable. I actually really like it, especially the magnetic feature, and I'm quite happy with that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #22
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I read riciculously fast and have no problem with the reader. I tend to use medium text on the reader as otherwise I do get headaches (but I have the same problem with small font print books too so thats not the reader).
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #23
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I get headaches from paperbacks as well...This is actually part of a question that probably belongs in another thread (newly announced -no-pageflash- Astak/Netronix Mentor Lite vs Sony PRS-505) - so I'll go try to find the correct place to post the entire question.

Although it sounds from all of you that the new-page-flashing really isn't much of a bother, and I get a good feeling for the overall build quality of the Sony.
Thanks again for all the helpful comments!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should stress I only get them from some paperbacks and it's directly tied to the font size. With the font a bit bigger I can read for several hours without a headache (3-4 easily).

And I've now had a couple of years using e-ink screens I barely notice the pageflash anymore. You really do just tune it out after a few weeks.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have people that get headaches from reading had their eyes checked? Perhaps it is a vision issue. I have heard this is the case many times in these circumstances.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #26
Riocaz

It is a vision issue in my case (which is why I specifically mentioned that it wasn't down to the reader)
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #27
rgeorg
Guru

Yes, it's a vision issue in my case also, and also only with the tiny print that is sometimes used in paperbacks - or even newspaper print. Haven't tried larger fonts. I just go to a medium-size font and have lots of cheap magnifying glasses in every room of the house + office Plus, one or two "good" prescription pair around the PCs for prolonged use. Glad to hear no one thinks it is due to the reader flashing - that really helps my decision-making.

Moving through middle-age I guess!
As Riocaz says, at least the "growing up is optional"
Old 04-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've got poor vision and haven't been able to read from a pbook for a few years now. My retinas are rotten, keep having hemorrhages, etc. 10 surgeries so far.

I've found pros and cons of reading LCD, eInk, and PC. My absolutely preferred way of reading is on the PC in eReader format, "denim" theme. It has a blue jeans background with purple letters. Sounds garish, but the dark background with lighter letters is very restful to my eyes.

My first dedicated ebook device was the eBookwise 1150. I loved it and read the heck out of it. It is very comfortable to hold, very easy to operate and manage, and has the backlight. If it allowed me to enlarge fonts beyond what even mobi2imp allowed, I would still be using it.

Now I have a Sony PRS-505, and it's great also. I changed the default font to very large Ariel sans serif. Also, I read mostly in landscape mode because that seems most comfortable to me. Lots of page turns, but not a prob - my thumb is right there anyway, so why not use it?

I've experienced eye strain with all 3 modes of reading. It comes along with struggling to focus, and is part and parcel of my life. No biggie. But there are things you can do to help you avoid eye strain.

One helpful thing for reading on the PC is to lower the screen slightly below eye level. This is recommended for computer users in general, but ebook readers in particular should pay attention because of the long stretches of staring at the screen. Also, keeping my "reading pane" at half the width of the screen or less helps me. I quickly found out that reading the whole width of the screen, then jumping back to the beginning, gave me some really bad eyestrain.

With the backlit LCD screen, my eyestrain was purely my own fault. I was reading at "large" setting but it was too small for my eyes. So I either had to pull the screen closer or strain to focus. That particular episode that I'm remembering took a couple of weeks to go away - I would pick up the ebook reader and my eyes would start to water and burn almost immediately. But it helps to hold the small device lower than eye level also. When lying down to read, I invariably end up with my hand above my head, with my eyes looking up at it. It's a hard habit to break!

With the 505, my problem was focusing. The words ran together for me, no matter how large the font was. Somebody, I think YvanLeTerrible, posted to use PRSCustomizer to change the default. Also, I try to pre-format my books, if possible, because that overrides the defaults. I use Ariel, 22 pt, and increase the line spacing to 1.25. This allows more of the background to show through and better contrast with the text. And it looks very pretty also, nice and very crisp.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are pluses and minuses for whatever you decide to go with. Just be sure to use common sense and protect your eyes. The book will still be there when you come back after resting them.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #29
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks for the advice DixieGal, I had never heard of lowering the device below eye level. I will try it this evening.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I've recently had an eyes checkup and the doctor also mentioned that the eye level should be around the top of the screen (this is apparently to benefit the neck, not the eyes). She also said that screen should be perpendicular to the window (i.e. light should come from the side).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote