Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2024, 11:30 AM   #1
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
And a new Paperwhite? When?

Hi everyone
As far as I know, last edition of Kindle Paperwhite dates from 2021; is it correct?
Don't you know any anticipation about a possibile new release? Being kobos a sort of capricious and unstable devices ( ) I would considering to update my old Amazon ereader.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:50 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Kindle 11 (Basic) is really a 6" paperwhite. October 2022. The Signature edition was indeed October 2021.

Other than offer other sizes such as 5, 7 and 8 or buttons there is nothing much that can be done for an ereader suited to reading novels. More than 8" is too big for that application/market. Colour degrades mono reading and adds cost. Note taking adds nothing but expense for most people.

The 7" Oasis has buttons. So really simply an update of it might be likely.

The PW3 was released the end of June 2015 and really changes since then are marginal for the reading experience. Anyone happy with 6" Kindle that has a PW3 doesn't need an upgrade.
Waterproofing is only "clean" water. Not salt or solvents, because it's just a coating.
USB-C vs micro-USB isn't significant on an ereader.

I find my Kobos better than my Kindles and don't find them too unstable. Kindles have different issues.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2024, 01:07 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Hi everyone
As far as I know, last edition of Kindle Paperwhite dates from 2021; is it correct?
Don't you know any anticipation about a possibile new release? Being kobos a sort of capricious and unstable devices ( ) I would considering to update my old Amazon ereader.
The Paperwhite 5 is a solid ereader. Not that old. I have the 16 gigs version, latest version. The Signature Edition has the 32 gigs option, but unless you have lots of audiobooks... It also has the adaptive front light. The screen is flush with the bezels. 6.8 inches is a sweet spot. I put a popsocket on the back. No need to wait, unless you are hoping for a color screen.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Waterproofing is only "clean" water. Not salt or solvents, because it's just a coating.
Amazon specifically claims otherwise:

Quote:
Kindle Paperwhite is IPX8 rated to protect against accidental immersion in up to two meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes, and up to 0.25 meters of seawater for up to 3 minutes.
Though I'd definitely rinse it off well after being in salt water.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:48 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Hi everyone
Mother's Day.

Feel free to pick a year.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2024, 04:32 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Amazon specifically claims otherwise:

Quote:
Kindle Paperwhite is IPX8 rated to protect against accidental immersion in up to two meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes, and up to 0.25 meters of seawater for up to 3 minutes.
Though I'd definitely rinse it off well after being in salt water.
Exactly as I claimed, because 25cm of saltwater for 3 minutes is not a widely accepted definition of waterproof. (About 10" in American)

200 cm (about 79″ in American) for an hour in fresh water is almost waterproof.

Don't drop it in your hot tub with bath-bomb or other relaxing salts.

It's fresh water resistant.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I don't think they would release a new one this year. Feels too soon.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:14 PM   #8
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Geez, what a heated discussion! I simply wanted to know your opinion about a possible realease date...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Too soon? Really? three years since the last one..mah. Let's wait and see.

@Claude_C

Mine is 3. My battery has lost a bit in performances. It's nine years old otherwise.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:02 AM   #9
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post

How is it too soon? The 10th Gen PW debuted in 2018 and the 11th Gen PW in 2021. It’s the same amount of years.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #10
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Amazon has released a new model or an update in nearly every year. Notable exceptions have been 2008 (First full year after debut, which is understandable), and then 2020 and 2023 each had nothing. IMO, we're very overdue for a new model or an update. In the current line up, the PW5 is now the oldest current model (if we consider the Oasis 3 discontinued and they're just clearing out remaining stock in international markets) so it should be the next up for an update.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:17 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
we're very overdue for a new model or an update.
What would you want this update to have that Amazon would realistically consider adding?

It already has USB-C, Qi wireless charging, water resistance, warm lighting, and a Carta 12XX screen.

Other than bezel buttons I can't really think of any feature for them to add to it that they'd actually consider, and Carta 1300 isn't a huge update.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:19 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Exactly as I claimed, because 25cm of saltwater for 3 minutes is not a widely accepted definition of waterproof. (About 10" in American)
Technically nothing is waterproof, it's water resistant, and I think that most IP[X] ratings are only given for fresh water. 25cm is enough to handle an incoming wave getting your reader wet when reading on the beach.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:57 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the most part, eReaders have become a mature technology. Until there is a change such as a Gallery 3/ACEP screen with speed and price close to that of a Carta screen (I do like dreaming wildly), most changes will be relatively minor.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 AM   #14
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I agree with the others. There's really not much the PW5 can improve on.
Maybe give it a pen (Galaxy Note-style where you can insert it in the body) for some really basic note-taking features.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:19 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Technically nothing is waterproof, it's water resistant, and I think that most IP[X] ratings are only given for fresh water. 25cm is enough to handle an incoming wave getting your reader wet when reading on the beach.
It needs repeatedly rinsed if dropped in salt water and good luck with a bath.

There are loads of things that will take indefinate immersion in any liquid. They have do have a depth limit. Putting on an internal coating was done over 80 years ago. The HzO brand internal coating is a cheapskate solution to tick a box.