Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
jnikkir
Connoisseur
jnikkir doesn't litterjnikkir doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/11th Gen
KOReader beginner's questions

Hi there! I've just successfully jailbroken my Kindle PW5 and installed KOReader. I'm SO impressed and happy with its functionality so far!! Obviously though, it is a very robust program offering a ton of settings and customization options, and I'm running into areas where I have questions that I haven't been able to successfully figure out myself.

If anyone could weigh in on these, I'd really appreciate it!
  1. With CBZ (manga) files, is it possible to turn on Night Mode but NOT invert the images? My goal is to have a black background behind the manga pages, so it's black on the sides instead of white. Or is there another way to achieve this?
  2. Is there a way to page through manga Right to Left? When I open a CBZ manga, the "Writing Direction" setting is grayed out so I can't change it, but it does have RTL selected -- however, I'm still having to flip pages LTR...
  3. Is it possible to connect to OneDrive via the Cloud Storage tool? I've tried setting it up as WebDAV, but keep getting the error "Cannot fetch list of folder contents."
  4. Is there a way to have KOReader remember the brightness/warmth settings used in Night Mode? I'd like Night Mode brightness&warmth to be lower&higher (respectively) than when it's not in Night Mode.
  5. Is it possible to change the main "mosaic" interface to view more thumbnails on-screen, or is 3x3 the only option?
  6. Is there a way to add a custom thumbnail image for folders?
  7. Not a how-to question, but an interface question -- what's the tiny tab-looking thing on the top right corner of each book thumbnail (in mosaic AND list-with-covers modes)? Only my ePUB files have it, CBZ does not.
  8. In the KUAL KOReader menu, what is the difference between "Start KOReader" and "Start KOReader (ASAP)"?
  9. I really love the native PW's new page turn animation, so I was trying to find whether that setting is available in KOReader. I happened upon this thread at github -- does that mean the feature may show up in a future KOReader update?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight on these questions!

Last edited by jnikkir; 05-01-2022 at 06:01 PM.
jnikkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1. Nope.
2. Probably, but that's not something I'm familiar with (and/or I fix it when building the CBZ).
3. Not familiar with the Cloud stuff.
4. Not as such, but you can save two profiles, one for day, one for night, and toggle between them via the Gesture/Profile manager.
5. IIRC, it's dictated by the screen's aspect ratio (so, no ;p).
6. No.
7. Custom metadata (i.e., document-specific settings & stats) have been written for this book (which generally means "you've opened this book once before").
8. Less bugs with the first one ;p.
9. Yep, it'll make it in Soon(TM).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 04:19 AM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
2. It's a bit confusing, but "writing direction" doesn't have anything to do with that. That's about reflow/OCR stuff. Use the top menu for page turning direction.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
muggleMode
Enthusiast
muggleMode began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
cant wait for the PW5 new page-flip turn animation...
muggleMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #5
jnikkir
Connoisseur
jnikkir doesn't litterjnikkir doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/11th Gen
Thanks so much for your insight! Here's what I ended up doing to fix the first few items, in case this helps anyone else in the future:
  1. For the black-background setting, I ended up using Kindle Comic Converter. Target device set to "Other," margins set to "black," and custom width/height set to PW5's resolution. Works perfectly!
  2. Frenzie, thanks for directing me to where the page-turn-direction setting lives. I ended up assigning a gesture to toggle this. I suppose it doesn't really matter when manga turns LTR, especially since I'm not viewing anything in 2-pg-spread mode, but I do like to keep to the original "feel" of things.
  3. Gave up on trying to connect to OneDrive -- found a better way to wirelessly connect to my Calibre library (which was what I was trying to do), but using the OPDS catalog feature. And it's MUCH easier to navigate than my OneDrive Calibre library would have been.
  4. NiLuJe, thanks for the gesture tip! I decided to just use gestures rather than profiles for this -- made one gesture to set Night Mode + brightness 8 + warmth 85%, and another gesture to turn Night Mode off + brightness 18 + warmth 70%. Works perfect!

And I'll be very excited to see the page turn animation feature in a later update.

Thanks so much!!
jnikkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
neonfire
Enthusiast
neonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th Gen 2022
Where is this page turning direction setting?
neonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the [Document] tab of the top menu when inside a document, IIRC. (Either in the "Page turns" or "Navigation" submenus).
Old 11-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As I'm a KoReader beginner I hope it's OK to ask this question here.

In the KoReader Android app I've set up a couple of simple user styletweaks to have my preferred colour settings for "day mode" (black on beige) and "night mode" (amber on black). This all works OK apart from the fact that it's quite a lot of key presses to switch between one and the other. I had hoped I may be able to use a gesture to speed things up but I don't see a way to access styletweaks in the Gesture Manager. Is this actually possible? or am I using the wrong tool for the job?

Any advice welcome.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: c.f., https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/9816
Old 11-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm a little confused, though. Should I conclude that this feature will become available in a near-future release or that I could do it right now by manually adding some code to an existing profile?
Old 11-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The former (I couldn't answer the latter anyway, as I'm not a profile/gesture/dispatcher user ;p).
Old 11-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #12
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
The feature will be available in the next nightly build.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you both.