Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
u238110
Connoisseur
u238110 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura, N514KUBKKEP, 4.7.10.413
Add a simple note to the start of a book

I'd like to add a web address to the beginning of some epub and mobi books. With PDF, you'd just add a page to the beginning of the document, but with these formats there are no pages, so I guess I'd just put the desired text at the start and then put the intrinsic contents of the book several lines below my extra text. What programs can I use to do this?
u238110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or you can put it in as a new (xhtml) page...

You can use calibre's new ebook Editor or Sigil.

Sigil is no longer in active development, but has a WYSIWYG/WYSINWYM editing mode.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
u238110
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or you can put it in as a new (xhtml) page...
So you're saying these formats do have pages?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not pages, so much as defined pagebreaks whenever a new resource file begins. Traditionally done to separate chapters, as well as copyright page, dedication, "About the Author", title page, cover, "More by this author", etc.

If it specifically belongs on a separate page in a PDF, I am guessing it probably belongs in a separate "chapter".

NOTE: The MOBI format does not support editing. You must convert to EPUB or AZW3 first regardless.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
u238110
Connoisseur

nevermind

Last edited by u238110; 07-19-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Advert
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does the ex-libris tool --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180065 help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
u238110
Connoisseur

I'm having trouble understanding where the end of one of these XHTML pages is. Picture a piece of paper. Let's say I wanted a note dead center. What's the equivalent of that in terms of this. I suppose it depends on the size of one's e-reader and what size the person has their text set to. So if text is on a line that's too far down, the user won't see it until they push their next button.

Last edited by u238110; 07-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Vertical spacing is one of the sore spots of epubs. The best you can do is not start too far down the page. Dead center for one type size is not the same as for another size.

If it doesn't need to be zoomed, make it into an image.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
u238110
Connoisseur

My question on Stack Overflow was rejected. Horrible website. Someone here please give me the guidance I need. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ple-xhtml-note

Last edited by u238110; 07-26-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

StackOverflow is actually a very good website, with a lot of useful info and helpful people. Being rude and demanding is not going make people want to help you.

I agree with them -- I fail to see where you have asked a question, and am kind of confused about what you actually want...
Old 07-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are no fixed pages in a static sense in epubs.

However, nearly all readers will start a new page whenever a new file in a book is started. So, if I understand what you are wanting to do, you need to open the file in an editor such as the Calibre editor or Sigil, insert a new file at the start of the book, put the information you want on it then save it. Apparently for mobis this will require a conversion into epub, an edit then a conversion back to mobi and hope that the conversion doesn't create new problems.

If you don't know HTML, Sigil has a book view in which you can simply type text into the new file you have created as the first file in the book then save it.

If you have an existing book epub, you can use the split function after your new material and that will cause the creation of a new file in addition to the original. You just need to make sure it is in the location you want and if not drag it to the top of the file list.

The end of page occurs when the reader has run out display space for the size of type and amount of content and automatically starts a new one. This is not something you can control. It is the glory of epubs and the pain of epubs. Glory for a reader that needs bigger text and no longer has to get special books. Pain for someone who is trying to layout books to a certain pattern because it is like trying to nail jelly to a tree.

If you must have a fixed layout, then create pdfs with pages sized to the screen of your device. But if it is a 6 incher, it will not be right on a 10 inch screen.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
u238110
Connoisseur

Great post, mrmikel.

First of all, this is the header of the new page generated by Calibre:

So, basically what I'm trying to do is make a note like this:

The problem is that I can't just type something like that out and space out the words on the right by repeatedly hitting the space bar because they would simply never line up perfectly. The reason they line up perfectly in that example is because that's an image that I made using MS Paint by screen capturing the first version of this post.

In addition to that, I just need to know how to do line breaks, I believe they're called, for example the above example consists of 5 lines. I've come across two different recipes for this:

Real World XML By Steven Holzner - http://books.google.com/books?id=GOEU98yFIWYC&pg=PA829

Code:
In Flanders fields the poppies grow<br /> Between the crosses, row on row<br /> That mark our place: and in the sky<br /> The larks still bravely singing, fly<br /> Scarce heard amid the guns below. <br /> <br /> -- "In Flanders Fields," by John McCrae [Canadian Poet, 1872-1918]
http://www.december.com/html/x1/element/br.html

Last edited by u238110; 07-27-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone

You will have to use a table if you want lined up columns.

www.w3schools.com

has information on all html and some on tables too, including try it yourself, so you can practice manipulating things. Don't use spaces, because in most fonts, the letters are different widths, so things won't line up.

You insert <br/> characters in the html when you want to break a line. Or you can make each line a paragraph and you will get breaks between paragraphs unless someone has put in @page or paragraph information in the CSS to do otherwise.

Code:
<p>This is a series of paragraphs.</p>

<p>This is a series of paragraphs.</p>
etc.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
u238110
Connoisseur

OK, I'll read up on tables. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
u238110
Connoisseur

Calibre displays the below note in the following area: Convert -> Look & Feel -> Linearize tables option:

Some badly designed documents use tables to control the layout of text on the page. When converted these documents often have text that runs off the page and other artifacts. This option will extract the content from the tables and present it in a linear fashion.

Does this have any relevance?

Last edited by u238110; 07-27-2014 at 05:48 PM.