Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #166
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I'd explain again my position, in the meanwhile you can find it synthesized HERE.
In that thread (if you can remember) we are dealing with a firmware very immature. And someone was saying that maybe the march version would never release. Now we know it is not true. We have on JBC a firmware not even fully implemented (eg. without internet browser) and with some bug but it is actually far better than the first. Next release is scheduled on April and I and other user are notifying bugs to Ectaco technical support in the hope (wish) they 'll fix them.

The real question is another: after April, Ectaco will continue to support JBC? The answer is "it depends".
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #167
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
You are subscribed to this thread Am I never to be satisfied with the JetBook Color?" and "JetBook Color Review - by a Long-Time Kindle DXG User". 3 threads talking about similar topic. It seems to contradict you.
I just checked, I subscribed 72 threads. And I dont even know how did I subscribe them, it's a feature I don't use. The email I use for forums subscriptions is created just for that purpose, I check it once in a month.

About "gadget", again: please just check the dictionary, I don't find that kind of definition you're talking about. I had to check it too because i wasn't even sure of what does it mean exactly, usually I don't use it.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-16-2012 at 03:42 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #168
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
I think it is appropriate to use the word "gadget" for JBC. I would say that it is even more appropriate to use the word "gadget" than word "eReader" in case of JBC since Ectaco advertises this device as being much more that just eReader: something like portable educational electronic device that you also can use as eReader. By the way, there is nothing bad about word "gadget". At least, here in US, ipad 2 is often called gadget. And I consider iPad as a very high quality electronic device.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #169
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yes, but being e-ink it still remains an e-reader (with expanded capabilities though).
Is kind of like a wrist watch, with chronometer, date, different timezone hours, and alarm clock, still is a wristwatch.

But that to the side, I've noticed there are some users who can't back down on some issue, even if they're wrong.
And no amount of tugging and trying will settle the issue, until they feel like they fit in, and are heard (and also have the last word).
So for that matter, if anything useful comes up, and I can help someone with some questions I'll gladly do. But not to start a new meaningless discussion!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #170
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
In that thread (if you can remember) we are dealing with a firmware very immature. And someone was saying that maybe the march version would never release. Now we know it is not true. We have on JBC a firmware not even fully implemented (eg. without internet browser) and with some bug but it is actually far better than the first. Next release is scheduled on April and I and other user are notifying bugs to Ectaco technical support in the hope (wish) they 'll fix them.

The real question is another: after April, Ectaco will continue to support JBC? The answer is "it depends".
I guess I have the completely different approach to this situation. For me the answer is very simple. If Ectaco would ship me JBC with eInk screen that looks in NORMAL (average) light conditions EXACTLY like on the picture from their website http://www.ectaco.com/main.jsp?do=pr...large&id=22671 (and the colors on the screen look EXACTLY like in this picture in NORMAL light conditions), if Ectaco would eliminate these annoying ghosting effects - then I would be more than happy to pay $499.99 for JBC and be a happy and proud owner of JBC. Even if they would stop developping and supporting JBC with new firmware updates and leave the firmware how it is right now. I personally don't care much for example about their not quite developped Web browser and other minor (for me at least) stuff. I even can tolerate JBC's slow speed (if compare with other readers). But I can't tolerate dark, grey screen in normal light conditions, ghosting and Ectaco's Customer service.
By the way, soon after I contacted Paypal and Paypal opened the case and filed the claim for me, I received the email from Ectaco saying: "We have just received in stock the JetBook Color Black edition, this model has a newer whiter screen so it will be much easier to view. Would you be interested in receiving the newest model? We can send it to you as a warranty replacement."
And you know what? When I was writing the answer to Ectaco, I recognized that I don't TRUST Ectaco anymore. I don't believe now in anything they say. After my experience with JBC I have a strong feeling that I was cheated by Ectaco and some kind of fraud is going on there (at least around JBC project).

P.S. I used to be a proud Ectaco's customer for about 12 years. I really liked their Partner's foreign language learning system and I gave them a lot of business during that 12 years period. Now I am not going to buy any product from Ectaco BEFORE I test it myself, with my own hands and my own eyes. And the only way to do it - is in their store. And since I live pretty far from New York area where Ectaco has their store, this meens for me - NO MORE purchases from Ectaco, unless they open store in our area or will sell their products through the retailers like BestBuy, Target or Walmart.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #171
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Well, it looks to me like you're doing a great deal there!
For all the effort you lost a jetbook, had a JBC for a few days, and ended up with a newer version of the Jetbook!

If the new screen is the same as in the Jetbook mini, it's nearly the same, except under certain angles the contrast ratio is much higher, due to a better reflection of the back screen I presume. It does look a tiny bit lighter, but not much.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #172
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JBMini's display is lcd
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #173
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
No mention of a new screen on the black jetBook Color product description pages. I'll believe it when I see one.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #174
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Well, it looks to me like you're doing a great deal there!
For all the effort you lost a jetbook, had a JBC for a few days, and ended up with a newer version of the Jetbook!
I didn't end up with a newer version. I still have the old very gray screen version of JBC which I am completely dissatisfied with. I still didn't receive RMA #. So I cannot send it back to Ectaco without RMA #. At least Paypal advised me not to do this (not to send it without RMA #). Ectaco never replied to Paypal. After I decided to let Paypal to investigate the case and communicate with Ectaco on my behalf I will let Paypal do the job. As I mentioned earlier, after my JBC shopping experience with Ectaco, I DON'T TRUST ECTACO now and I am reluctant to take more risk. I really don't believe that the newer version is any better than older one. The only way for them to convince me is to let me see this so called newer version with my own eyes and touch it with my own hands before I can take any further steps.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-17-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #175
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Anyone who has one is a very early adopter. Not only of a new model or a new product
but of a new technology. I am sure that Ectaco posted their return policy at the site
where the purchases were made. I am sure that Ectaco will provide a remedy consistent
with that policy.

It is not a good practice to be one of the first in line for a new technology, if you are
not informed about it or unwilling to deal with potential disappointment.

Those who actually purchased and own the device are in the best position to remark on
their experience with the device. The rest of us should have no concrete opinion.

That there are posters who do not have one, but seem determined to point out their
conviction the device's faults are too many and unsurmountable, presents the question-
Why? Why, are they so determined to find fault with a device they haven't used or
even held in their hands? I haven't seen any poster who owns one, try and claim that
it is perfect or that it is the eReader for everyone. The detractors aren't trying to set
the record straight. It is as if the device's existence is an affront, and that they just
have to attack any positive remark about it. Why?

It's as if they have to attack anything that might just possibly prove better than what
they have, or sell. They sure aren't talking from their own personal experience with the
device.

I don't have one either, so all I can do is ask questions and pose possible explainations,
based on my experience with Ectaco, WinCE, and embedded devices in general. But I
think it more polite, and perhaps more accurate to hold off my criticism until I have some
experience with the device to base it on.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; As I understand it the OP does not have a JBC.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-16-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #176
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Every new car model sold in NA should came with these amendments. We sold you the car, you sucker bought new technology. It is not working as advertised. So what?! Suck it up!
You do not own a bank or a brokerage house?! Yeah ..you do not have the right to criticize the rip off going on in BofA or somewhere else. You are not allowed to say a word. If you do not own a bank why talk about mortgages granted to people to people with no income?

That is what politicians have to say about those who are publicly protesting "occupying New York" or Kabul :-). You do not own, yo do not have, you have never tried then you have no right to speak.

Dear Ken that is exactly what the American Constitution tells you in one of it's amendments.
Reading what you wrote I consider myself lucky to live in Canada.

Their only luck is that not many bought it (because of the price I guess) and for that reason there are not many enough out there to start a law suit. However they have to wait for April 1st.
By the way the new Ipad3 seems to be for around 500$ too. It is color too :-)

On a serious note: only opinions formulated here stopped me to buy this device. If those negative comments din not exist I would have been 500$ poorer

Questions coming from these users who actually do not have the device but have other devices and who asked if this or that feature is there or not helped me a lot.

If I do realize that a product is a bluff I will call it so no mater what conspiracy theories others might have in their minds. However those who actually own the device revealed so many missing things that by now it is very difficult to accuse the so called detractors of the device of anything. The hard evidences that others posted here speak themselves.
Just keep reading the posts from the owners and see... the posts from the owners are far more powerful and relevant and they do not speak in favour of the device.

However I had the impression that this is a technical forum not a marketing one. Price to quality ratio is a technical matter. So please we would like to see you dismounting the critics that the detractors are posting here with technical opinions.
your option to hold your criticism is your option. You do not seem to hold your criticism for those who simply considered the other option: to express it.

I am asking this a second time here: prove me that this device is better than an M92 and I will buy it. I wanted to buy it and I even opened a thread here with that subject line.

PS: let me tell you something -those (declare owners or not) who despite of obvious missing features still support this device and its price and keep reciting mantras regarding "a new release" are more susceptible to be partisan supporters of the device rather than happy customers.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #177
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is not a good practice to be one of the first in line for a new technology, if you are
not informed about it or unwilling to deal with potential disappointment.
I bet IPad or Kindle users would disagree.
The idea that as an early adopter it is quite normal to serve as a guinea pig and pay a hefty price for it comes as a surprise.
Hell no, not after reading this thread ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #178
lorenzoens
ex se ens

1. I came here to read about JBC
  2. I brought with me some knowledge about e-paper readers, based on lots of specialized readings and 25+ readers tested personally, 8 owned in the last years (beginning with a Palm from 2000).
  3. I've read JBC buyers' reports here in the forum, have seen their pictures, collected their data
  4. I didn't write a review: I collected other buyer's reports, put them together, compared it with my previous knowledge, and draw a provisional conclusion which is enough to decide that it's better to wait and see what will come from the next upgrades, instead of buying now.
  5. If one is not allowed to do this, then every forum should close, every public debate and information sharing would be unuseful. If you can't draw provisional conclusions from a synthesis of (trustful) collected data from other people & your knowledge, you'll have a hard time living into a society of sapiens sapiens.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-17-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #179
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...the term "gadget" sounds like a "toy"....
Without taking sides on any of the other issues here, I feel "gadget" is a fine word for beloved electronic devices of all kinds; hence the popularity of such sites as Gizmodo.com. Just type "I love gadgets" into a search engine if you think the term sounds demeaning.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #180
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I am asking this a second time here: prove me that this device is better than an M92 and I will buy it. I wanted to buy it and I even opened a thread here with that subject line.
I am afraid that I might be able to prove you the OPPOSITE statement soon. I am still in need for eInk 9.7" eReader since I am not able to use JBC (with its dark, grey screen and annoying ghosting) for comfortable reading. I am thinking about getting M92 but I am looking for M92's black version at this point. It should be available to buy in about 2 weeks from now. If I will finally decide to get black M92 and will be able to place and receive my order with M92 before Ectaco will provide me with RMA# (which is very possible because Ectaco obviously doesn't want my JBC back) I promise to post here more pictures. This time it will be JBC vs M92. And I expect that JBC will loose badly in this comparison from what I learned about M92 on this forum.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-17-2012 at 12:32 PM.