Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
So, it looks like the Sony T1 will be the first eInk device to be able to do direct library downloads without a computer. I want Amazon to implement this feature.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, didn't work so well here. The checkout process was great but the book - a tpz book kept crashing on my Xoom. Bad Ju-Ju.

But I did just check out another - Years Best SF 9 and it seems to be fine.

I like how you can "Return the book" which I just did with the one that didn't work...guess I should have tried it on my kindle, but damn tpz anyway...I avoid it whenever possible. Was able to process the other one azw properly and add it to my calibre library...

Last edited by kennyc; 09-21-2011 at 06:58 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #48
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Bah, my library evidently isn't one of the 11,000, because they only show epub and pdf and have a banner on the side that says Kindle lending is coming. And I had to run around to find my library card to get my number, too. LOL
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Bah, my library evidently isn't one of the 11,000, because they only show epub and pdf and have a banner on the side that says Kindle lending is coming. And I had to run around to find my library card to get my number, too. LOL
Hang in there. You'll get it soon. It's been slowly rolling out all day. Libraries in my area have been slowly getting it and there are only a few left that still don't have it; but they will.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
*mumbles something incomprehensible in european*
WOW! I didn't know "European" was a language. Can you borrow books written in it?

I do feel pain for you guys. Sorry.
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #51
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am going through the queues and adding books to my library list. So far everything I am interested in is checked out.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #52
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Wooohooo!!! One of the libraries I'm a member of made it available this afternoon. I just downloaded The Peach Keeper and it was even easier than using Lendle. I'm so excited to have another source for books. The other library I'm a member of said that it won't be available with them until next week.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Just downloaded my first library book to my Kindle. Was relatively painless. I also put one on hold. There is one person in front of me, so I wonder how long it will take to get.

Edit: My library is showing 5,023 titles available for Kindle.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 09-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #54
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am going through the queues and adding books to my library list. So far everything I am interested in is checked out.
Yep, that's generally what I run into with epub as well. Anything new or popular have to put a hold on and wait.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #55
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
It might even be longer of a wait, now. I'm looking at one book I put on hold, and even though it has several formats (including the Kindle now), it only has one book available. So my guess is that multiple formats don't matter as the amount of allowed loans might be the same. Ugh.

Still, if this at least increases the number of ebook loaners, it'll be worth the wait.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #56
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Okay, I'm going to make a complaint as an ePub borrower. NOT that Kindle folk get access! But they put "Kindle Book" before "Adobe ePub" (which used to be the first choice) and it's too easy to choose the wrong one!

I've already put 3 Kindle Books on my Waiting Lists (which no longer tell you which KIND of ebook you've reserved, so you gotta hope you catch it right away or you're screwed when the book comes up).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #57
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've already put 3 Kindle Books on my Waiting Lists (which no longer tell you which KIND of ebook you've reserved, so you gotta hope you catch it right away or you're screwed when the book comes up).
Does it matter? I don't think it does at FLP (Philadelphia). The library has a number of licenses, let's say 3. They can lend out 3 eBooks, no matter what format. When you put a book on the waiting list you wait for one of the licenses to free up, and it's not until you put it in the cart you have yo choose format.

Even though I'm an ePub user myself I don't think it's unreasonable to have the Kindle version first, since I do believe Kindle is the most common reader in USA.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #58
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
When you put a book on the waiting list you wait for one of the licenses to free up, and it's not until you put it in the cart you have yo choose format.
I choose the format when I put it on the waiting list. I haven't had anything come off a waiting list,though, to see if it'll offer me a chance to change the format before I official borrow it. If it does, then - no - it won't matter if I request the wrong format in my waiting list.

EDITED: Okay, it depends on the Library. One library I tried only allowed you to download the one you reserved. So if there's a waiting list after you, you can't just change the mistake. However, CLEVNET (and I'm sure others) offered me the choice of format when it came time to take something off my waiting list - in fact, it even did one of those "are you sure you want xxx format" doublechecks.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-22-2011 at 02:05 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Okay, I'm going to make a complaint as an ePub borrower. NOT that Kindle folk get access! But they put "Kindle Book" before "Adobe ePub" (which used to be the first choice) and it's too easy to choose the wrong one!

I'm thinking maybe the "type" doesn't matter, just the number of copies/loans...

Which in that case reduces my ability to check out books sooner due all those rabid Kindle-owners!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #60
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Has anyone else noticed that with the Kindle transition, the older books that used to be PDF-only now have Kindle AND epub versions? I'm wondering if the conversion didn't yield something for other users too.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote