Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #1186
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
The same thing happens when you update the read shelf. The plugin synchronizes the three states, but I can not find the way to make when the book passes from reading to read in the configuration of the reading shelf.
Not sure what you mean by that. By "three states", I assume you mean the "to-read", "currently-reading" and "read" shelves. I think that means you are talking about automating the moves between them as you get a new book, read it and then mark if finished.

If that is the case, my process is that when I start a book, I use "Add to shelf" to put the book on the "currently-reading" shelf. And I add it to any other appropriate shelves. As I read the book, I use "Update reading progress" to update the percent read (as fetched from my Kobo ereader). When that hits 100%, the book is moved to the "read" shelf and the rating and last read dates updated. Occasionally I add a comment.

I don't use the "to-read" shelf. Goodreads only know about the books I am currently reading, or have finished. There are a few exceptions to that, but they are mainly books added when I have been experimenting with what I want to do, or testing this plugin.

I also use the Reading List plugin to manage lists of books plus the status. The status is more than just the three above. It include things like "cleaning" and "cleaned" for books that I needed to edit.

That might cover some of what you want. Or, have I missed it completely.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #1187
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. By "three states", I assume you mean the "to-read", "currently-reading" and "read" shelves. I think that means you are talking about automating the moves between them as you get a new book, read it and then mark if finished.

If that is the case, my process is that when I start a book, I use "Add to shelf" to put the book on the "currently-reading" shelf. And I add it to any other appropriate shelves. As I read the book, I use "Update reading progress" to update the percent read (as fetched from my Kobo ereader). When that hits 100%, the book is moved to the "read" shelf and the rating and last read dates updated. Occasionally I add a comment.

I don't use the "to-read" shelf. Goodreads only know about the books I am currently reading, or have finished. There are a few exceptions to that, but they are mainly books added when I have been experimenting with what I want to do, or testing this plugin.

I also use the Reading List plugin to manage lists of books plus the status. The status is more than just the three above. It include things like "cleaning" and "cleaned" for books that I needed to edit.

That might cover some of what you want. Or, have I missed it completely.
I will try to do what you say. Mark from Caliber. I did it from Goodreads. Thank you

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3000 mediante Tapatalk
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #1188
azuravian
Enthusiast
azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a single book (actually a magazine issue, but it is on Goodreads) that is giving errors when trying to add to any shelf. I get the following error.

Code:
calibre, version 3.40.1
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 404
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GoodreadsResponse>
  <Request>
    <authentication>true</authentication>
      <key><![CDATA[UxvtOM3ogQWjfgiCnMleA]]></key>
    <method><![CDATA[shelf_add_to_shelf]]></method>
  </Request>
  <error>
    <code>40004</code>
    <generic><![CDATA[One or more parameters contains a value that did not resolve]]></generic>
      <detail><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></detail>
      <friendly><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></friendly>
  </error>
</GoodreadsResponse>
The book in question is "Lightspeed Magazine, September 2016" which can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...september-2016
azuravian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #1189
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Work into job mechanism?

obPreface: kiwidude, thank you for this and all your work. Good stuff.

Sorry if I missed it -- I did search the thread -- but is there a sensible reason this isn't integrated into the Calibre background job mechanism? It's the only plugin I use even semi-regularly that is foreground blocking.

Thanks.
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #1190
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
Sorry if I missed it -- I did search the thread -- but is there a sensible reason this isn't integrated into the Calibre background job mechanism? It's the only plugin I use even semi-regularly that is foreground blocking.
There is added complexity in running jobs in the background. Whether it makes sense depends on exactly what is happening and what user interaction is needed. Plus, there are some things that cannot, or should not, be done in background jobs. How often something is expected to be run and how many changes it is expected to make also affects whether running in the background is worthwhile. For example, running the "Update progress" action in the background is probably not worth it. I rarely do this more than once a day for one or two books. The time taken to do this update is not enough longer than creating the job to make it worthwhile.

Which actions do you think should be run as jobs? I can look at them, but, it I'd need to be convinced of the benefit in doing it.
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 AM   #1191
dewd
Enthusiast
dewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRJZTh1u View Post
Hi, I've searched and tried a lot of things on the plugin, but I can't figure out how to just sync ONE book from Goodreads. I just want to pull my rating/review from Goodreads for ONE book without having to sync the whole read shelf, which has hundreds of books and takes a LONG time.
As has been said, you can only sync (GR->Calibre) a whole shelf. But you could create a new shelf in GR, set the plugin to sync whatever info you need from that shelf, then run the sync on that shelf. Afterwards, just remove the book from the GR shelf and delete the shelf. Or, if this is something you want to do regularly, leave the empty shelf there on GR and temporarily place each book you want to sync on it.

Just bear in mind that there is a fairly low character limit on sync'ing reviews from GR, so you might end up copy-and-pasting anyway if your reviews are more than a few lines.
dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #1192
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is added complexity in running jobs in the background. Whether it makes sense depends on exactly what is happening and what user interaction is needed. Plus, there are some things that cannot, or should not, be done in background jobs. How often something is expected to be run and how many changes it is expected to make also affects whether running in the background is worthwhile. For example, running the "Update progress" action in the background is probably not worth it. I rarely do this more than once a day for one or two books. The time taken to do this update is not enough longer than creating the job to make it worthwhile.

Which actions do you think should be run as jobs? I can look at them, but, it I'd need to be convinced of the benefit in doing it.
(And I should have acknowledged your work as well -- thanks also to you.)

IMO, and I'm clear that it's only my O -- for good UX, if the UI doesn't come back immediately (for human values of immediately, e.g 200mS or so) the task should be done in the background or it should be made obvious. So, I suppose that's the other approach: how about throwing up a progress/cancel popover to show that the app isn't locked up?

For example: I just did Sync from Shelves for my to-read: about 28 seconds during which the Select shelves dialog is still up and I'm unsure whether I actually clicked it, about a second of nothing, then the Sync from dialog. (The shelf I'm testing with has about 300 books; not sure if this gets worse with more.)

When I confirm this one, it disappears (so at least I'm sure I've clicked) but the app is now unresponsive for... 175 seconds, with no dialog, nothing in the status bar, etc.

Last edited by lairdb; 04-08-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: grammer. speling.
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #1193
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
(And I should have acknowledged your work as well -- thanks also to you.)

IMO, and I'm clear that it's only my O -- for good UX, if the UI doesn't come back immediately (for human values of immediately, e.g 200mS or so) the task should be done in the background or it should be made obvious. So, I suppose that's the other approach: how about throwing up a progress/cancel popover to show that the app isn't locked up?

For example: I just did Sync from Shelves for my to-read: about 28 seconds during which the Select shelves dialog is still up and I'm unsure whether I actually clicked it, about a second of nothing, then the Sync from dialog. (The shelf I'm testing with has about 300 books; not sure if this gets worse with more.)

When I confirm this one, it disappears (so at least I'm sure I've clicked) but the app is now unresponsive for... 175 seconds, with no dialog, nothing in the status bar, etc.
A progress dialog is a different matter. Yes, they are missing in this plugin and especially in the "Sync from Shelves". I'll put them on my TODO list, but I won't make any promise of when. Something like that tends to get added when I'm doing something else to a plugin such as fixing a bug or adding new function.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #1194
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Is it possible to add a feature that would allow drop-down lists for all the tags columns in the sync/add rules for a shelf?

I have a lot of shelves with specific tags that I want to make sure I get correct when adding it to the rules.

If there isn't a drop down list, it is impossible to get the sync rule accurate.

I know that this feature is available for tags with set values, but all the comma separated tags aren't available. I know I can just use the tag mapper column for the shelves and that adds the tags in a drop-down, but it only works for uploading a and downloading tags, not for syncing or adding. This requires a specific rule. That rule set up doesn't have that drop-down list.

Or am I missing something?
Rellwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #1195
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That should be possible, and I'm surprised it wasn't done that way. I'll add it to my TODO list, but, have no idea when I will get to it.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 AM   #1196
something random
Member Retired
something random began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to request the columns in the plugin can be fixed in width.
Often when I want to search for a book there is a large list and some titles extend beyond the screen and I have to scroll sideways to see the author name.
The screenshot attached shows an example.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodreads Sync.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	171200  
something random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #1197
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary2000 View Post
Is it possible to request the columns in the plugin can be fixed in width.
Often when I want to search for a book there is a large list and some titles extend beyond the screen and I have to scroll sideways to see the author name.
The screenshot attached shows an example.
Thanks.
A few of the dialogs don't set a default width for the title and all columns get resized to longest value visible. I'll add it to the TODO list. I might get a chance over the weekend.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #1198
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Beta: tags, column widths, progress bars

I've been doing some work on the plugin today, and here is a beta. The changes are for the things mentioned recently. They include:
  • Adding dropdown for tag-like custom columns in sync and add action dialogs.
  • Fixing how the tags are applied during a shelf sync.
  • Set the a width for the title and author in the book linking dialogs. I think these are the only ones that the widths are not set properly.
  • Added progress bar to the sync from shelf. There are several steps and for at least one I don't know ahead of time how many there will be.

If anyone sees any problems, please report them here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Goodreads Sync-beta.zip (219.3 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by davidfor; 05-05-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Woops. Missed something with the progress bar.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #1199
azuravian
Enthusiast
azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Tried the new beta. When adding books to shelf, the progress bar doesn't show (I think it's hidden behind the main plugin window). After all books are added to the shelf, the main window goes away and I see the progress bar showing 100%. The progress bar doesn't close on its own, however. I have to manually close the progress bar. Progress bar for syncing from a shelf seems to work fine.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #1200
azuravian
Enthusiast

Error syncing book

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuravian View Post
I have a single book (actually a magazine issue, but it is on Goodreads) that is giving errors when trying to add to any shelf. I get the following error.

Code:
calibre, version 3.40.1
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 404
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GoodreadsResponse>
  <Request>
    <authentication>true</authentication>
      <key><![CDATA[UxvtOM3ogQWjfgiCnMleA]]></key>
    <method><![CDATA[shelf_add_to_shelf]]></method>
  </Request>
  <error>
    <code>40004</code>
    <generic><![CDATA[One or more parameters contains a value that did not resolve]]></generic>
      <detail><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></detail>
      <friendly><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></friendly>
  </error>
</GoodreadsResponse>
The book in question is "Lightspeed Magazine, September 2016" which can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...september-2016
This error still exists for this single "book". Other Lightspeed Magazines have been synced with no issues.

Tags
calibre, goodreads