Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
threejosh
threejosh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire 10
Tracking original / source format?

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find any way to deal with this - but I'm hoping for some expert opinions about if there's already some solution before I submit a feature request.

Basically for various reasons I _really_ like to keep track of which files are 'original' and which are converted from another format.

If there's no way to keep track of this, I'd be just as happy if I could get calibre to automatically delete (or not store) 'auto-conversions' done when loading titles onto a device from a incompatible source format.

For example - if I have a mobi file that I purchased and I load it onto my nook (which supports only epub), calibre will create an epub and transfer that over. Now the book entry will show that I have mobi and epub versions - but I don't see any way to know that the mobi is an original and the epub is a conversion. Or alternately to get caliber to simply not save the conversion in the main directory structure. Ideas?

Thanks!
-josh
threejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by threejosh View Post
I _really_ like to keep track of which files are 'original' and which are converted from another format.... Ideas?
1) Tag the original as such and keep two book entries - originals and conversions (you can duplicate any book record by merging into an empty record with Merge-Keep Others), or
2) Put your original format into a .rar file along with another file, like This_is_the_original.txt and add the rar to the record, or
3) Add to the comment field "The original source file is ....", or
4) Copy the original and add an extension to it .original so you have your book.mobi and book.mobi.original as a marker, or
5)Add a tag: original_is_mobi for mobi originals, and original_is_epub for epub originals, etc. or ...
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by threejosh View Post
Hi all,

I haven't been able to find any way to deal with this - but I'm hoping for some expert opinions about if there's already some solution before I submit a feature request.

Basically for various reasons I _really_ like to keep track of which files are 'original' and which are converted from another format.

If there's no way to keep track of this, I'd be just as happy if I could get calibre to automatically delete (or not store) 'auto-conversions' done when loading titles onto a device from a incompatible source format.

For example - if I have a mobi file that I purchased and I load it onto my nook (which supports only epub), calibre will create an epub and transfer that over. Now the book entry will show that I have mobi and epub versions - but I don't see any way to know that the mobi is an original and the epub is a conversion. Or alternately to get caliber to simply not save the conversion in the main directory structure. Ideas?

Thanks!
-josh
You might create a custom (see image) column "Master", Note it only allows a single format to be set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	masterIdea.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	65544  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might create a custom (see image) column "Master", Note it only allows a single format to be set.
I like that even better than my options. There's more than one way to paint an ocelot.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I like that even better than my options. There's more than one way to paint an ocelot.
Always use a very long handled brush
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
threejosh
threejosh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire 10
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Unfortunately I've tried most of the suggestions and they haven't really worked for me.

I've tried to use tags / fields to keep track of of what files I've imported/added directly and what is an output of a conversion. I came to the conclusion that it would be a lot easier for the software to keep track of if there isn't already some other solution

I'm playing with the idea of just having multiple full copies of my main library. One with only source formats, and a full duplicate used to actually load stuff onto my eReaders. This would probably be the least amount of work if there isn't some more automated solution, though it's far from a perfect solution I think.. *shrug*
threejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There has been discussion of Calibre being enhanced to have the idea of an 'archive' or 'master' format of a book that would be stored like any other format is at the moment. This would contain a format of a book that would never be over-written during conversion, so it could fulfil the role you are looking for.

However, as far as I know, this has not yet moved beyond the concept stage. I think that this is because although the concept is simple it touches on lots of areas of the Calibre code so the implementation would be a non-trivial task.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-27-2011 at 04:29 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Always use a very long handled brush

Or use waterproof paint and scuba gear

(There's a submarine anchored near where I live called HMS Ocelot)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post

Or use waterproof paint and scuba gear

(There's a submarine anchored near where I live called HMS Ocelot)
I will never understand HM Navy (ex-USN here), naming a water vessel after a LAND animal and a Cat to boot
Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There has been discussion of Calibre being enhanced to have the idea of an 'archive' or 'master' format of a book that would be stored like any other format is at the moment. This would contain a format of a book that would never be over-written during conversion, so it could fulfil the role you are looking for.
There's also been discussion of adding an option (sort of like the new book tagging option) that would write the original path and filename during import into the comments section. It wouldn't do anything other than tell you what format was used to first create a book record and where that format was found.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I use custom columns. I have a custom column for "Original Format" which I populate with mobi or epub or whatever. And then I have a custom column for "Source" which I populate with Amazon or B&N or Kobo or whatever. Works for me. However, I do also keep a copy of my original purchase, DRM and all, in a separate folder. I have a "ebooks" folder where I download all my ebook purchases into. Then I import them into Calibre and then move the original downloads into a different folder like "ebooks - Amazon".
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote