Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #16
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I've got exactly the same problem as the OP!

10" is not too bad but too small for PDF A4 size academic papers .
I've already got a 10" dell mini so I can tell.

I see all the tablets which have appeared on the market and that doesn't suit me at all... Of course you can zoom on the go but I don't see that as completely comfortable to have to zoom in, zoom out, back and forth constantly.

the diagonal of a A4 size is : 14,33 inches (basic calculation ), so it's the size that you need. But problem... I've found for the moment no ultraportables with this size, or at a price very high.

Last edited by Huyggy; 05-18-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #17
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well I'm thinking it is because some of my journals are actual scans from journals and not formatted text like the latter academic journals are.
ClearScan from Acrobat + Duokan and you are set to go.
The quality of your original scans should be reasonably good, though.

My main beef with eInk-based devices is the response time.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
paravantis
paravantis began at the beginning.

Device: many
I have been using my Amazon Kindle DX for a couple of years. It is a great ebook reader and I have gotten much enjoyment out of it.

Yet, I have thought about the very same question you pose for quite a while now, and bought an inexpensive Android 2.2, 10 inch, tablet for around 150 euros; you can find even cheaper tablets on ebay.com.

Result? No way I can go back to the DX now. I have been spoiled by my color tablet with the Repligo Reader for Android (cost around 3 euros). First of all, Android is much FASTER than the DX. Also, now I can annotate PDFs and move them back and forth my tablet and my laptop, via the USB port of my tablet.

I would also advise you to stay away from iPad: it is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers. My tablet came equipped with a full size USB port (that accepts USB flash drives and USB keyboards), a mini USB port, a mini Ethernet port (so I can hook it up to my home broadband Internet) and an HDMI port (which I have never used). And I listen to Sky.FM while I read, either with earphones (to enjoy sound of fantastic quality) or the supplied stereo speakers (tiny and of mediocre quality)! iPad excels in one sector: it has, hands down, much better touch screen response. My tablet has a resistive screen that requires careful pressing with a pointed stylus (a finger will not register), while the iPad is a delight to navigate with very light touching.

There is one annoying problem: Amazon Kindle on Android is a really bad piece of software, crashing and closing all the time, to the point of being unusable. So I use Kindle for PC to read my Amazon Kindle ebooks. The Amazon Cloud Reader is great BUT it has not been implemented for Android browsers yet.

ALL IN ALL: my Amazon DX has been replaced by a generic ($100+ on ebay) Android 10 inch tablet, on which I read all my ScienceDirect papers and academic PDF ebooks.

Happy deciding!

John A. Paravantis
University of Piraeus
Greece

Last edited by paravantis; 03-18-2012 at 09:35 AM.
paravantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I guess the new iPad 3 with its 2048x1536 resolution would be worth a try!

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Using E-ink for academic work (annotations, webbrowsing, etc) is simply too slow and inconvenient.
This.

I first looked into the e-reader market because I wanted something to help me go paperless with my academic readings (I'm a researcher). I realised that e-ink readers wouldn't do the job and got an iPad instead. I use iAnnotate and PDF Expert to read and annotate pdfs, both are very good apps IMO.

I have e-readers, too, and think they are great devices, but I only use them for recreational reading.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paravantis View Post
There is one annoying problem: Amazon Kindle on Android is a really bad piece of software, crashing and closing all the time, to the point of being unusable. So I use Kindle for PC to read my Amazon Kindle ebooks. The Amazon Cloud Reader is great BUT it has not been implemented for Android browsers yet.
Just another data point, the Kindle reader is pretty solid on my Asus Transformer. The only complaint I have is in having to drag non-Amazon mobi files to the Kindle folder rather than just being able to click on them and having the reader open them up.

But yeah, I tend to read PDFs on the tablet and mobi/prc files on my Kindle 3.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I guess the new iPad 3 with its 2048x1536 resolution would be worth a try!

Best regards,
Andy
Especially now that GoodReader for iPad was updated with Retina support. It's as sharp as eInk, and many times more responsive.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
I use a Lenovo K1 10.1 android tablet. I tried almost all the ebook readers for PDFs. Kindle DX does work for google pdfs, but tablet is the only real solution that I found. I use adobe reader for android for text based pdfs and droid reader for photo based djvu and pdfs. Both are free and adobe will reflow text based pdfs.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Lenovo dooes it perfectly, see my other reply to this thread.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
amgoforth
Groupie

What I like bestboout my Lenvo is the ability to read scanned pdfs easily and on free software-
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #26
zooterkin
zooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
I've got an HP Touchpad running Android; that's a 10" screen, but it's a 4:3 ratio rather than 16:9 like a lot of Android tablets. I've found it very good for reading A4 (and Letter) PDFs. I did experiment with my Kindle 3 when I first got it, but the screen was just too small, and rotating it to view half a page at a time was too tiresome.
zooterkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #27
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Angry

One year after my post here.
NOTHING has changed. What a shame! Constructors are like sheeps
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
amgoforth
Groupie

That sounds good. I really don't like reflowed PDFs, because some times tjat dosen't work too good. It would take at least a !@ inch rtablet screen to view regular PDFs easily.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Huyggy
Zealot

Desperately waiting for that... :
ViewSonic teases 22-inch Android ICS 'tablet,' promises more at Computex
Toshiba Excite 13 hands-on

..if it is fanless of course

Last edited by Huyggy; 05-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
Good luck with carrying that around. That's why I still keep my old Macs around. The big screens make for a much better PDF reader.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote