Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Synopsis note in K3??

my book collection is building up and i'm trying to get my K3 more organized. i think that i have collections figured out, i just need to make some final decisions on my collection titles.

one other thing i would like is to have a short synopsis of each book. i've added different books for various reasons, and when browsing my library have often forgotten what a particular book is about or why i picked i up.

my idea is to go to page one of each new book and type a short note, such as "edgar award winner 2004" or "highly recommended at mobileread, espionage theme" or "jack reacher series #11" and place a bookmark.

anyone have a better way of doing something like this that i have not thought of?
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Use Calibre to manage your ebook library. Use it to download/update the correct metadata for all your books. Then, under Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Structure Detection, tick the box next to 'insert metadata as page at start of book', and finally, convert your books from mobi to mobi and voila the synopsis of each book is shown when you first open it on your Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

that sounds like a great plan as i already have calibre and want
to get a little deeper into it.

what does "download/update the correct metadata" mean? i think i understand from that point on or can probably figure it out.

thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
that sounds like a great plan as i already have calibre and want
to get a little deeper into it.

what does "download/update the correct metadata" mean? i think i understand from that point on or can probably figure it out.

thanks!
It means exactly what it says . Right click and select "Edit Metadata". To edit the metadata manually select "Edit Metadata Individually". To download metadata, select "Download Metadata and Covers". To download metadata for a lot of books, highlight them all in the library listing, then press "Ctrl+D".

Last edited by HarryT; 08-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
tm3
Groupie

OK i'm still not sure that i quite get it but things likely will clear up as i play around with it

thanks
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You'll see when you have Calibre running that one of the buttons along the top is for 'Edit metadata'. If you highlight one of your books in the main window and then click on the Edit metadata button, it opens up a new window showing the metadata (cover, title, author, tags, synopsis etc) of that book. Quite often there is nothing other than the title & author fields filled in, so you can then click the 'Download metadata' button and it'll search Amazon, Google, Goodreads etc for the relevant information.

Rather than going through each book individually, I normally do it for maybe 10 books at a time by first highlighting them, then I click the arrow to the right of the 'Edit metadata' button and choose 'download metadata and covers' and take it from there.

Once you've updated the information Calibre stores as metadata, just do as described above. You need to do the conversion from mobi to mobi to get the updated metadata displayed in your books.

It can be time consuming and it's worth having a play about with it doing one book at a time until you figure out what the different options are. It's fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it and it's definitely worth the effort to get the relevant book information when you open up another book on your Kindle.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
tm3
Groupie

thanks! very clear and complete answer. this sounds like exactly what i was i was looking for and i am anxious to play with it.

i appreciate your taking the time to help!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
tm3
Groupie

i'm not getting the comments to transfer. do you all have any idea what might be the problem?

thanks

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194209