Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #16
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I suppose so, although having the sensors fail in the same area on several units seems a little weird... Just a common defect I guess.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
I have been having the same issue with my Touch (a dead band near the bottom of the screen). Surprisingly, the band only seems to be dead when reading a book. When using the virtual keyboard or the browser, taps in this area work fine. This seems to suggest a firmware issue to me as the sensors seem capable of registering taps in some situations.
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I just tried the virtual keyboard on mine and it seems to be working fine too. I'm still having the issue when reading a book though. It really does seem like more of a software issue if it works in some locations but not when reading a book...
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I would tend to agree with you, if you get a dead zone while reading a book but not at other points (i.e. browsing, keyboard, etc) then it does indeed sound like a software problem. Although it still seems strange that a software problem wouldn't affect all users equally.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #20
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I am glad I came and checked the forums tonight, I am having the same problem with my Touch. Other than that I really like it.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I keep the Kobo cover closed when I'm not using it and never have food anywhere near it. Just to make sure, I used some compressed air to make sure there was no dust anywhere.

I started paying more attention to the bottom area tapping and found that it's intermittent. One thing I noticed is that when I first start reading, it works fine. After a few page turns it seems to stop working.

As others have noted, the bottom area works fine with menu selections, it just seems to be an issue with regular reading.
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #22
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I'm having difficulties doing page forwards and backs while in Reading Life, for example - or any other function that involves page turns not related to reading actual books. I'm referring to the <-- and --> arrows. Sometimes I have to tap them about five times before they'll take. Then I'll be able to do two page turns in a row - and then it's not responsive again. I don't know if this is a matter of finding just the right "touch" or what...

also, same thing with the upper right "x" on those types of pages. I'll tap them, they show the black circle indicating that the tap was "received" (?) - but then the page won't close out. Another tap does the trick.

Still playing around with this; getting accustomed to it all - if that's what it takes.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
I'm having difficulties doing page forwards and backs while in Reading Life, for example - or any other function that involves page turns not related to reading actual books. I'm referring to the <-- and --> arrows.
I'm with you in having trouble initially. What I've discovered (by accident) that seems to work is to almost do a small swipe on the icon rather than trying to press it. It seems like you need to be REALLY precise to hit the sweet spot for these and doing a swipe over them lets you hit it easier.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #24
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'm with you in having trouble initially. What I've discovered (by accident) that seems to work is to almost do a small swipe on the icon rather than trying to press it. It seems like you need to be REALLY precise to hit the sweet spot for these and doing a swipe over them lets you hit it easier.
Thanks. the small swipe helps.

However....now (in the last hour) I'm finding that the entire left side of my screen is being, in general, not so responsive. Not to taps, anyway - whereas, it used to be okay. So, pagebacks are not working well. After four or five taps, yes. In which case, I revert to a backwards swipe to get the job done.

But...arrrgh - it wasn't like that even an hour ago.

ETA: Oh jeez....right side is now being wonky for page turns. I think I'll give up for tonight and see what tomorrow brings. eeeeek.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you are using a sideloaded ePUB, be of good cheer, the update that is coming seems to have taken care of it (at least for me). I had noticed that about 200 or so pages into a book, the touch sweet spot got smaller and smaller until it disappeared. A pin reset, by the way, seemed to take care of it--for awhile.

I am not noticing this behaviour on the beta we are testing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote