Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
BeBook review

Don't know where else this post should be located, but here goes:

After I received my BeBook, I decided to write a detailed review so that others who are contemplating on getting BeBook might get yet another view of the device. I have tried to make this as detail as possible and also included some point of views that I have not seen mentioned on other reviews.

http://www.majgaj.com/bebook

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you MR users that purchased my ebook to help me get my BeBook

spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Wow! That's quite a review - you've put a lot of work into it

I'm going to suggest that a moderator moves this to the Bebook forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
The review is really really detailed!
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Kisxela
Kisxela began at the beginning.

Device: Asus-A696, Cool-er, Hanlin V5
You wrote about positives. But what about negatives? Are there any? Does it read lit book correctly? Never needs to reset? Are font sizes ok? Readable? ADE reads all UTF-8 characters?
Kisxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisxela View Post
You wrote about positives. But what about negatives? Are there any? Does it read lit book correctly? Never needs to reset? Are font sizes ok? Readable? ADE reads all UTF-8 characters?
Current problems with BeBook that havent been adressed by Endless Ideas:

Reader crashes on occation, this happens no matter what format you are reading.

Reader unable to handle books in "fishy" formating. No matter what format. At times if the reader encounter a book whose formating it doesnt like, you are kicked back to either the start of the book, or the bookshelf.

For rtf format, whenever it encounters sub/superscript it continues to format the text in either super or subscript until the next pragraph, at which time it will go back to it's standard formating.

Those are the biggest "neagtives" as far as I am concerned.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not come against any of the above stated problems. My BeBook is not crashing at all. I can check the firmware version but this one is really stable.

As to all other formats like LIT and DRM, I have not tried this out. I don't have DRM protected files either. I only wrote in my detail about what I know.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Stick to your guns Spaze.
Bebooks crashing is not that common a problem. As for badly formatted files, you can hardly blame any e-book reader for peoples ineptitude. Even the MS reader falls over on some of the .lit files I have downloaded.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Stick to your guns Spaze.
Can you translate this for me
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Can you translate this for me

It means if you make an error never acknowledge the fact.

I have to go along with Slite that the BeBook firmware is far too prone to catastrophic crashes. A parser should never just throw up it's hands and run home to mama when it comes to a formatting command that it does not understand, but that is what I have found the BeBook firmware to do. Incorrect rendering in that case would be a better action than total catastrophic failure. It has NEVER happened to me when running OpenInkpot firmware on the BeBook, so the BeBook hardware seems OK.

The worst thing is that EI has never acknowledged that problem AFAIK, and every firmware upgrade just has new features without a substantial improvement in reliability. The best thing about BeBook is that OpenInkpot runs very well on it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It means if you make an error never acknowledge the fact.

Don't listen to him Spaze.
In reality, it means stay with what YOU believe (is that better?).
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Don't listen to him Spaze.
In reality, it means stay with what YOU believe (is that better?).
Agreed, that is better than my feeble attempt at a lighthearted joke.

FWIW, I have worked with people who "stuck to their guns" for just the reason in my joke though.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
spaze
Addict

As my experience with BeBook grows, I will update the review. So far, as you noticed, I have not faced any problems with the files and filetypes I use on my BeBook.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist

It's ok Dave and I agree with your comment. I have known several people like that. I think that if Spaze did not know the original saying then the humour probably missed it's mark.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I
A parser should never just throw up it's hands and run home to mama when it comes to a formatting command that it does not understand, but that is what I have found the BeBook firmware to do. Incorrect rendering in that case would be a better action than total catastrophic failure. It has NEVER happened to me when running OpenInkpot firmware on the BeBook, so the BeBook hardware seems OK.
You have this problem in the Cybook Gen3 reader also. I totally agree with your argument and my next reader will be a reader where I can run open source programs like OpenInkpot or where I can fix problems myself. Hopefully the txtr reader will satisfy these demands.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote