Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Sox Media Player KUAL extension initial release

This is the initial release of the Sox Media Player KUAL extension. It utilizes the bluetooth audio support available in the PW4 and other newer model kindles to play local and internet media. Inspection of some of the audio support files leads me to expect it to work on models with USB audio as well, but I don't have a model to test this on.

Any media Sox knows about should be playable. Note, AAC is NOT supported!

See README.txt for further instructions.

Dave

PS: download updated 12 May 12:18
Attached Files
File Type: zip sox-0_2.zip (2.18 MB, 594 views)

Last edited by dhdurgee; 05-12-2020 at 12:18 PM.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:52 AM   #2
Uphantom89
Enthusiast
Uphantom89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Nice & useful extension
Thank you for your effort.
Just curious that will it support .m4b file type?
It's not that hard to convert .m4b to mp3, but I wnat to check if it's possible.
Uphantom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uphantom89 View Post
Nice & useful extension
Thank you for your effort.
Just curious that will it support .m4b file type?
It's not that hard to convert .m4b to mp3, but I wnat to check if it's possible.
I don't know off-hand. I don't see it listed when I do a sox -h here. If you have sox handy you can try it there and see. If you have USBnet on your PW4 and have installed the extension you can try using the playfile.sh from ssh against the file and see if it plays, or see if soxi returns information about it.

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru

At this point I am wondering if anyone with a USB audio has tried this yet and if it worked for them. I thought to check where Audible is supposed to work and it appears that more Kindles are supported than I expected. See here:

https://audible.custhelp.com/app/ans...indle-devices/

Since it was Audible support that gave me the missing information to get this extension working it might work on a wider range of devices than I thought. Of course if Audible support varies by device this might not hold.

So anyone who has this working on a non-bluetooth device let me know. If there is a wide enough range I might need to ask a moderator to add additional tags to this thread.

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
So anyone who has this working on a non-bluetooth device let me know. If there is a wide enough range I might need to ask a moderator to add additional tags to this thread.
Dave
Anyone can add up to 2 tags to a thread. The original poster can add up to 5 tags to a thread.

There is an "Edit Tags" link just below the last post on any page of a thread (on the right of the screen).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Anyone can add up to 2 tags to a thread. The original poster can add up to 5 tags to a thread.

There is an "Edit Tags" link just below the last post on any page of a thread (on the right of the screen).
OK, so I don't need a moderator to do so. I just need to hear from users with other Kindle models that this extension works on their model.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
yparitcher
Connoisseur
yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 KT4 PW4 PW5
it looks good, but the attachment is missing the sox and soxi binaries

I got them from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26&postcount=2

It works on a KT4 5.11
Thanks for this.

one suggestion: when stopping it might be better to killall sox instead of killall gst-launch-0.10 as this does not break the pipe.
yparitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yparitcher View Post
it looks good, but the attachment is missing the sox and soxi binaries

I got them from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26&postcount=2

It works on a KT4 5.11
Thanks for this.

one suggestion: when stopping it might be better to killall sox instead of killall gst-launch-0.10 as this does not break the pipe.
Agh! How did I miss that! Will re-issue with missing binaries and mondifications.

Dave

PS: download updated

Last edited by dhdurgee; 05-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
yparitcher
Connoisseur
yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 KT4 PW4 PW5
It might be a good idea to put the source in a github repo so people can submit changes

A audio player was always something i wanted to have.
yparitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yparitcher View Post
It might be a good idea to put the source in a github repo so people can submit changes

A audio player was always something i wanted to have.
The only source I have is in the directory with the scripts and the menu. The binaries are downloaded directly from the Debian Jessie repository for armel which is compatible with the PW4 and others. I make use of the mixersink element provided by amazon who of course does not releae the source. Source for the binaries from Debian Jessie should also be available but were not needed.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 05-05-2020 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

I added the KT4 tag, but it does not show in the forum listing for the thread, only at the bottom of the thread. Perhaps a moderator does need to modify the forum listing.

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can only have a single "title" tag, unlike the thread tags.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You can only have a single "title" tag, unlike the thread tags.
OK. Then I guess pw4 is the most appropriate.

Dave

PS: I just noticed the "tags" icon on the right side of the forum thread listing. So both tags
show, just not at the beginning of the listing.

Last edited by dhdurgee; 05-06-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add postscript
Old 05-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
rcpleo
rcpleo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (8GB) wifi
omg this is really impressive! I still can't believe that my kindle PW4 is able to play classical music via bluetooth headphones as background music while I read !!! Really really appreciate your hard work in making this feature possible. Do you incline on developing this extension further to incorporate more features? Regardless, this is already extremely impressive and I cannot thank you enough for it

Last edited by rcpleo; 05-08-2020 at 11:26 AM.
rcpleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpleo View Post
omg this is really impressive! I still can't believe that my kindle PW4 is able to play classical music via bluetooth headphones as background music while I read !!! Really really appreciate your hard work in making this feature possible. Do you incline on developing this extension further to incorporate more features? Regardless, this is already extremely impressive and I cannot thank you enough for it
Glad you find it useful. There are limits to how much more I can do with this in the environment KUAL provides. I am looking to see if there is a way to allow you to play individual files from your music directory, but it looks as if the only way you will be able to define your own internet radio streams is to edit the menu.json file and either replace one of my examples or add one of your own.

Dave

Tags
kt4, mp3, pw3, pw4, sox