Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
This is nice. But what I *really* want is a collapsible table of contents.
28 hours! I was expecting someone to suggest that a lot quicker.

It would be good, but, looking at my books I'm surprised at how little it would help. Most are just two level - the title and the chapters under it. Very few would actually benefit from it, and even the indentation isn't going to add much. But, for the few books with complex ToCs it would be great.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-30-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Spelling.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #32
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
28 hours! I was expecting someone to suggest that a lot quicker.
Well, I thought of it immediately after getting excited and installing this firmware, just took a while to post.

Quote:
It would be good, but, looking at my books I'm surprised at how little it would help. Most are just two level - the title and the chapters under it. Very few would actually benefit from it, and even the indentation isn't going to add much. But, for the few books with complex ToCs it would be great.
I have a lot of books with 2-3 level tocs, and the indention will help a lot with those, especially when levels 2, 3 are duplicated for each level 1, without indention that gets very confusing.

Like you say, I have a very few books with more than that, but some of those have hundreds of toc entries with maybe 4-5 levels, and without a collapsible toc, it's nearly useless. In fact, some of those, I've gone through and edited the toc and "manually" collapsed it by deleting the leaf levels. Some of those books have broken up internal tocs in the chapter's first page, which helps some.
compurandom is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #33
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I don’t have many such books (~ 1/5). But it would be nice to have Kobo do collapsible table of contents.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #34
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Found a possible anomaly with this FW version on my KA2v1:
after marking some text, looking up this marking in "Notes" and then removing that marking in "Notes", the original marking is still visible when returning to the page. Browsing to next/previous pages does not help to get rid of the markings. Selecting another book and then returning to the original book got rid of the marking. Strange

I tend to use marking a lot, so I know definitely that this behavior was not in the previous FW version.

Anybody having the same experience?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Um, like maybe a well done Bible? I've over a thousand ebooks and I can't think of any where it's a huge boon to fold sub levels. My wordprocessor does it and it simply means that the heading need unfolded. Some books have several sections and then H2 for chapters. Some have headings at the end listing series of books with sub heading for each book with image and blurb.

Indented subheadings is nice and automatic in WP index generation and then is carried on to the inline contents in an ebook.

TBH, I'd rather they fixed long term bugs and usability issues than spend much time on this sort of thing, though the change to indented sub-levels can't have been hard.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Um, like maybe a well done Bible? I've over a thousand ebooks and I can't think of any where it's a huge boon to fold sub levels. My wordprocessor does it and it simply means that the heading need unfolded. Some books have several sections and then H2 for chapters. Some have headings at the end listing series of books with sub heading for each book with image and blurb.

Indented subheadings is nice and automatic in WP index generation and then is carried on to the inline contents in an ebook.

TBH, I'd rather they fixed long term bugs and usability issues than spend much time on this sort of thing, though the change to indented sub-levels can't have been hard.
You did notice that I was talking about my books? I was very careful to state that. I can see that for some books it is handy. But, for the types of books I tend to read, there is rarely more than two levels of ToC, and generally, only one item at the top level. Other people, other books, there will be a different experience and I am well aware of that. But for me, this is not going to have anywhere near the impact that I thought it would.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Found a possible anomaly with this FW version on my KA2v1:
after marking some text, looking up this marking in "Notes" and then removing that marking in "Notes", the original marking is still visible when returning to the page. Browsing to next/previous pages does not help to get rid of the markings. Selecting another book and then returning to the original book got rid of the marking. Strange

I tend to use marking a lot, so I know definitely that this behavior was not in the previous FW version.

Anybody having the same experience?
Are you sure that is new? I would have said it's been around for a while. The way I use annotations means I don't notice it much (add annotations for errors, fix the books when at the PC and delete the annotations). But, I would have said it's been in the last several firmware versions on all my devices.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #38
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you sure that is new?
For me it is new. I did upgraded yesterday.

Quote:
...(add annotations for errors, fix the books when at the PC and delete the annotations)
That's how I use it too, hence how I discovered it in this FW version today. I'm a heavy reader...

Quote:
But, I would have said it's been in the last several firmware versions on all my devices.
I might have been lucky until now, of course
Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #39
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I would have said it's been in the last several firmware versions on all my devices.
Yes. Watched it for a long time.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #40
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Our three readers the H2O 2nd Edition, GloHD and Glo works well with the new firmware. So far we have not noticed any problems.
The installation of new eBooks via Calibre also works perfectly.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #41
DrChiper
Bookish

I went back to FW 4.14.12777 because suddenly all marking ceased to work (you can mark a word, it is indicated, but its not on the notes page) and the last reading location is not remembered anymore, so the reader returned from the notes page to the very first book page. No clue why.

Reverting to the previous FW did solve all that and marking is working again.
Go figure
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I went back to FW 4.14.12777 because suddenly all marking ceased to work (you can mark a word, it is indicated, but its not on the notes page) and the last reading location is not remembered anymore, so the reader returned from the notes page to the very first book page. No clue why.

Reverting to the previous FW did solve all that and marking is working again.
Go figure
That is usually a sign that the database has become corrupted. If that was the case, then going back to an older firmware version won't fix it. If it is happening for all books, this is probably the case.

If it is just one book, can be an error in that book.

It can also happen if you edit a book and restructure the internal files or rebuild the ToC and then replace the book without removing it first. The stored version of the ToC doesn't match the book and the navigation doesn't work. That can also cause some problems with annotations.

The last reason I can think of is if an epub has been sideloaded as a kepub without the extra spans being added. But, the last time I tried that, the book reopened at the start of the chapter you were up to.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:40 AM   #43
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Are you sure that is new? I would have said it's been around for a while. The way I use annotations means I don't notice it much (add annotations for errors, fix the books when at the PC and delete the annotations). But, I would have said it's been in the last several firmware versions on all my devices.
I‘ve also always had that (quite annoying) behaviour
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:43 AM   #44
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
That is usually a sign that the database has become corrupted. If that was the case, then going back to an older firmware version won't fix it. If it is happening for all books, this is probably the case.
Reverting did solved the problems, however. I did also a DB check with the Kobo plugin and it was ok. No idea how thoroughly that check is, though.

Quote:
If it is just one book, can be an error in that book.
It happened for other books as well.

Quote:
It can also happen if you edit a book and restructure the internal files or rebuild the ToC and then replace the book without removing it first. The stored version of the ToC doesn't match the book and the navigation doesn't work. That can also cause some problems with annotations.
Agree. But: I always make sure to delete first, then add the same book again, just to avoid mentioned DB issues.

Quote:
The last reason I can think of is if an epub has been sideloaded as a kepub without the extra spans being added. But, the last time I tried that, the book reopened at the start of the chapter you were up to.
I have none kepubs, all are calibre certified sideloaded epubs.

Sure, the above checks does not rule out problems completely. There might be some unforeseen combination. However, for me this is the first time I saw the marking issue at all so I immediately noticed it. Strange that is seems a known problem within earlier FWs.

One warning though:
I got FWs 4.14.12777 and 4.15.12920 OTA. To revert to 4.14.12777 I downloaded it from the mobileread patch (wiki) locations and got a 7-zip warning about "There are some data after the end of the payload data". I tried 2 different download locations, same error. Previous FW versions do not have that. It might be false alarm, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by DrChiper; 05-31-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Reverting did solved the problems,
Sorry, I misread what you said and thought it didn't go away.
Quote:
however. I did also a DB check with the Kobo plugin and it was ok. No idea how thoroughly that check is, though.
It runs "PRAGMA integrity_check", so it is the most complete check I know if.
Quote:
It happened for other books as well.

Agree. But: I always make sure to delete first, then add the same book again, just to avoid mentioned DB issues.

I have none kepubs, all are calibre certified sideloaded epubs.

Sure, the above checks does not rule out problems completely. There might be some unforeseen combination. However, for me this is the first time I saw the marking issue at all so I immediately noticed it. Strange that is seems a known problem within earlier FWs.
I can think of another reason for a problem. But, that would have affected 4.14.12777 as well. The reason is related to the database version and changes between versions. I have messed with this a couple of times and seen problems like you saw. But, there were no database changes between 4.14.12777 and 4.15.12920.
Quote:
One warning though:
I got FWs 4.14.12777 and 4.15.12920 OTA. To revert to 4.14.12777 I downloaded it from the mobileread patch (wiki) locations and got a 7-zip warning about "There are some data after the end of the payload data". I tried 2 different download locations, same error. Previous FW versions do not have that. It might be false alarm, but better safe than sorry.
Firstly, there should only be one location to download the update from. The various places you can find it, are using the same link to the file.

I tested the download of the Mark6 and Mark7 versions of the file and had the same problem. I don't know if that is new as I don't think I had downloaded the file before.