Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #91
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
A method for blocking Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 from using KFX format has been described in this post and this post. I have updated the first post of this thread to include this as an alternative to remaining on version 1.17.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #92
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A method for blocking Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 from using KFX format has been described in this post and this post. I have updated the first post of this thread to include this as an alternative to remaining on version 1.17.
Thanks for keeping this thread / first post updated with the current solutions.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #93
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yes, the app I am using (Kindle for Mac 1.12.4) is the last I downloaded (and maybe updated, don't remember) from Amazon. I just didn't update since then.
The version is no longer supported by Amazon, but I don't use it for downloading books since I use "download and transfer via USB" and clean it directly in Calibre.
I am on the 1.12.4 version of KfM also, and it was working fine for me (including disinfection and conversion after download) as of two weeks ago, buying with one-click and delivering straight to KfM. I'm not sure whether to go test it again now...

ETA: OK, done; I downloaded this free book by delivering to KfM 1.12.4; disinfected, imported into Calibre, and converted to epub. No problems.

Are there traps I might fall into with other books not being compatible?

Last edited by meeera; 03-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #94
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I am on the 1.12.4 version of KfM also, and it was working fine for me (including disinfection and conversion after download) as of two weeks ago, buying with one-click and delivering straight to KfM. I'm not sure whether to go test it again now...

ETA: OK, done; I downloaded this free book by delivering to KfM 1.12.4; disinfected, imported into Calibre, and converted to epub. No problems.

To the best of my knowledge, no traps as long as you don't install Kindle for Mac 1.17 version or later (and even then you can block .kfx using Terminal).
The only strange thing is that on Amazon it says
Quote:
Note: Kindle for Mac applications running a software version below 1.14.0 are no longer supported. To continue reading on your app you can easily download and install for free the latest version of the Kindle for Mac. If you are running an operating system that is not compatible with our app, you may continue reading from your computer with Kindle Cloud Reader
Maybe not supported means only that they will not update older versions anymore.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #95
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

Hmm, interesting. On Windows 8, I've eventually been forced to update. Can't remember what version, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get past the popup warning unless I updated it.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 02:31 AM   #96
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Maybe not supported means only that they will not update older versions anymore.
Or maybe that they won't listen to you, beyond telling you you need to update, if you run into problems?

Either way, still working means I'll keep using it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #97
arineko
arineko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A thousand thank you

Going back to Kindle 1.17 allowed me to go back to buying e-books on Amazon.
I have too many different devices to allow myself to be locked in by the, in my opinion, moronic Amazon policy about DRM.
arineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #98
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It's 1.20 now...

Renaming this renderer-test.exe seems to work
I thought I might be able to achieve the same effect by changing the security on this file to deny read / execute, but then kindle doesnt start
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #99
sparkyair
sparkyair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Starting with version 1.19 for most books Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac use the new KFX format, which is incompatible with calibre.

These books will appear in a subdirectory of the "My Kindle Content" folder, will import into calibre as "AZW" format, and will fail to convert with the error: "KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed."

The following descriptions apply both to Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac unless one mentioned explicitly.

Method 1 - Revert to an older version of Kindle for PC/Mac

At the moment Kindle version 1.17 is still available from Amazon and can be installed to work around this problem. I suggest following steps:
  • Launch Kindle and under the menu choice "Tools", "Options", "General", uncheck "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me."
  • Exit the Kindle program.
  • Delete the contents of the "My Kindle Content" folder within your "Documents" folder.
  • Download version 1.17 of Kindle. It is safest to download it directly from Amazon, instead of going to a third party site. Direct links are https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforpc...1.17.44170.exe for PC and https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-44182.dmg for Mac.
  • Install the downloaded version 1.17 software.
  • Launch it and check that the option to automatically install updates is still turned off.
  • Kindle may need to be registered by signing in to your Amazon account within the program. Some users have reported being unable to sign in to their Amazon account within Kindle for PC once version 1.17 is reinstalled. If that occurs go to the Amazon website and on the manage your content and devices page, and on the "Your Devices" tab locate "Kindle for PC" (or Mac) and deregister it using the "..." "Actions" menu. Wait a few minutes for it to take affect and try to sign in again. (If all else fails then re-install and register again and start over with step 1.)
  • If asked if you want to update to the new version always reject it. ("Skip" the update.)
  • Re-download your books and import into calibre as before.

Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac

As an alternative, a method is available to prevent version 1.19 (and possibly version 1.20) from making use of KFX format.
  • Exit the Kindle version 1.19 program.
  • Open a command window (PC) or terminal window (Mac).
  • Cut and paste the appropriate command for your operating system to disable the renderer-test program.
    PC:
    Code:
    ren %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
    Mac:
    Code:
    chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
  • After restarting the Kindle program any books previously downloaded in KFX format will no longer open. You will need to remove them from your device and re-download them. All future downloads will use the older Kindle formats instead of KFX although they will continue to be placed in one individual subdirectory per book.

Method 3 - Use an e-ink Kindle instead

If you have an e-ink Kindle device registered to your Amazon account you have the option of downloading books directly from Amazon instead of using Kindle for PC/Mac.
  • From the Amazon website access "Account & Lists" -> "Manage Your Content and Devices".
  • Find a book you want to import into calibre and press the "..." button in the "Actions" column for that book.
  • In the menu that pops up choose "Download & transfer via USB". Then select the name of your registered kindle device in the drop down menu and press the "Download" button.
  • Import the downloaded file into calibre as you would a file from Kindle for PC. You will need to select the proper folder containing the downloaded file. (This folder will be different from the "My Kindle Content" folder used by Kindle for PC.)
  • Users of the DRM Tools should refer to Apprentice Alf's Blog for information on the configuration required to support books downloaded for an e-ink Kindle.
I used method two and it worked like a charm!!!!!
sparkyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #100
EdJonesBGJ
EdJonesBGJ began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Kindle now has a "PDL" file extension... the book is refusing to convert to EPUB...
any suggestions...?
thanks
ed
EdJonesBGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you uninstall 1.19 or did you install over 1.19 with 1.17? You should uninstall 1.19 before installing 1.17.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #102
EdJonesBGJ
EdJonesBGJ began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
i removed 1.19 and installed 1.17.0 (44170)..
has been working fine until today... tried to convert AZW which has an associated PHL file... i added only AZW file to Calibre and now get DRM error message... Error report shows "error 1" and then message...
any suggestions welcomed...
i also converted several other files at the same time - they did not have a PHL file associated...
EdJonesBGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #103
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJonesBGJ View Post
i removed 1.19 and installed 1.17.0 (44170)..
has been working fine until today... tried to convert AZW which has an associated PHL file... i added only AZW file to Calibre and now get DRM error message... Error report shows "error 1" and then message...
any suggestions welcomed...
i also converted several other files at the same time - they did not have a PHL file associated...
DRM help can not be done here.
Go to where you got those tools
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #104
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Kindle now has a "PDL" file extension... the book is refusing to convert to EPUB...
I assume that "PDL" is a typo based on your next reply.

Quote:
A .phl file holds "popular highlights" for the book, which can be optionally displayed when the book is read. It has nothing to do with KFX or DRM.

(And to repeat what theducks wrote: Ask for further help from the place where you got the "tools".)

Last edited by jhowell; 03-30-2017 at 05:05 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #105
sequoia1
sequoia1 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ebookwise, reb1200
Thumbs up Thank you for being concise!

Method 1 - Revert to an older version of Kindle for PC/Mac

At the moment Kindle version 1.17 is still available from Amazon and can be installed to work around this problem. I suggest following steps:
  • Launch Kindle and under the menu choice "Tools", "Options", "General", uncheck "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me."
  • Exit the Kindle program.
  • Delete the contents of the "My Kindle Content" folder within your "Documents" folder.
  • Download version 1.17 of Kindle. It is safest to download it directly from Amazon, instead of going to a third party site. Direct links are https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforpc...1.17.44170.exe for PC and https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-44182.dmg for Mac.
  • Install the downloaded version 1.17 software.
  • Launch it and check that the option to automatically install updates is still turned off.
  • Kindle may need to be registered by signing in to your Amazon account within the program. Some users have reported being unable to sign in to their Amazon account within Kindle for PC once version 1.17 is reinstalled. If that occurs go to the Amazon website and on the manage your content and devices page, and on the "Your Devices" tab locate "Kindle for PC" (or Mac) and deregister it using the "..." "Actions" menu. Wait a few minutes for it to take affect and try to sign in again. (If all else fails then re-install and register again and start over with step 1.)
  • If asked if you want to update to the new version always reject it. ("Skip" the update.)
  • Re-download your books and import into calibre as before.

Thank you for being concise! I guess I got an update almost a month ago; and today was the first day I attempted to convert through calibre ... and found the update had messed with me. *sigh* ... I thank you for the quick; concise; and painless fix! Worked like a charm.
sequoia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc