Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
DarthBunny
DarthBunny began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy Newer versions of Calibre won't open

I've been using Calibre for some years now, and I faithfully install the newest version when prompted to do so. But everything newer than version 2.16.0 won't open. They each install just fine, but when I click the icon to open Calibre for use, all I get is it telling me Calibre is not responding and it stays that way indefinitely. Twice now I've had to completely uninstall Calibre and re-install version 2.16.0. Any idea what's going on with the newer versions please?
DarthBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DarthBunny - see calibre is not starting on Windows?

And did you look at these recent threads for possible solutions:

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is likely something on your system that has changed/updated that is causing the problem. There were no actual changes to the main calibre process in 2.17 or 2.18. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1416559 for another report of similar issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
I was having a somewhat similar problem with Calibre and then another program that I added.
The problem was traced to my antivirus suite. Even though I told Windows that it was okay to run the programs, my antivirus software apparently disagreed and, without informing me, blocked them from running. I found the settings in the antivirus software where I could set it to allow Calibre and the other program and everything worked fine.

So that might be one place to look.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote