Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Aura HD with latest firmware not recognising that it's attached on Linux

I had to factory reset my Aura HD about a week ago after absently-mindedly unplugging it from the computer without first dismounting the internal storage and SD card. After the reset, I completed setup using the Kobo client on my Windows laptop, and that downloaded and installed the latest version of the firmware - 2.8.1 (b2c05cda0e, 9/20/13). It previously had 2.8.1 installed but with a different checksum and earlier date. As an aside, why the hell doesn't a newer version of firmware have a different version number?

The Kobo still works fine when connecting to the laptop - when plugged in it puts up the connect message on the Kobo screen and then shows up as a drive in Windows, and I can run Calibre and transfer books to the Kobo, but I've now found that on my desktop machine, which runs Linux Mint 15, that when I connect the Aura it no longer detects that it is connected and doesn't put up the message on the screen asking if I want to connect. Running lsusb when the Aura is plugged in doesn't show the device, but it connects fine using the same USB cable on the laptop, and my Nexus 4 mobile phone connects and mounts fine through the same cable on the Linux desktop.

Is there anyone else who has this latest version of the firmware on their Aura HD and can still successfully connect and mount it on Linux?
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
Is there anyone else who has this latest version of the firmware on their Aura HD and can still successfully connect and mount it on Linux?
I have the 2.8.1 (b2c05cda0e) firmware on my Glo and it connects fine with my Debian Linux laptop.

The reader should display the message asking whether you want to connect even if you plug it into a wall charger, so I doubt the problem has anything to do with which OS is on the computer, more likely a faulty USB port or cable.

Edit: After further thought, I think it is possible for the computer's OS to power down the USB port which would also cause the problem, so perhaps it is OS related.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert