Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is Library Rebuild Necessary?

Under [Library Maintenance] you can [Check the Library] which finds errors, but I was wondering if it's ever necessary to 're-build' (not sure what the correct term is) the database to reclaim space from deleted records, balance trees, make records contiguous, etc.?

IIRC databases tend to become less efficient over time with lots of modifying
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Under [Library Maintenance] you can [Check the Library] which finds errors, but I was wondering if it's ever necessary to 're-build' (not sure what the correct term is) the database to reclaim space from deleted records, balance trees, make records contiguous, etc.?

IIRC databases tend to become less efficient over time with lots of modifying
That is there for when the DB gets damaged beyond a simple corrective action in the check
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Check library automatically vacuums the database, which should be all that is needed to keep it operating well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Check library automatically vacuums the database, which should be all that is needed to keep it operating well.
Thanks

Any thoughts on how often or when to run Check Library? (once a week, once a month, when there's a problem, ...?)

My library is very small (400+ books) and I've never had any issues that it couldn't easily fix (like extra files).

Never had any structure problems, but I did upgrade a number of books with a more enhanced release, and add a bunch more, so that got me wondering.

Maybe a reminder: "Library last checked 7/1/2015, 456 days ago"?
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@phossler - I run it once a week, before I do my weekly backup.

My libraries are larger (biggest is ~90,000 'books') and probably busier than yours.

I occasionally get errors (rarely more than one or two) in the third stage, but because it must have happened since last week I can always attribute to something outside of calibre - e.g. the video adapter failing, me unzipping a cbz to a subfolder and forgetting to delete the subfolder, the UPS not kicking in on a power fail.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
For fun, I tried the calibredb check_library command -- it didn't say anything about vacuuming the database though. (The GUI does mention it.)
Is it still happening, and if so should there be feedback about that?

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-08-2016 at 08:25 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Personally, I never run Check Library. I have noticed no significant performance degradation on my main library of a few thousand books over nearly a decade of continuous use.

(My test library which I use to develop calibre is of course a different matter)

@eschwartz, IIRC the CLI check_library does not run vacuum, though I'd have to check the source to be sure.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote