Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Has anybody lost their e-book reader while travelling?

Has anybody lost their e-book reader while travelling?

I lost my Kobo Aura H2O device last year while travelling from India to Saudi Arabia.

I always keep the H2O with me for passing the time during travel. This time before I got down, I placed it on the seat next to me and got up to take the hand luggage from the overhead luggage bin, forgot to pick-up the device and got down from the flight. Only after reaching my home and unpacked the bags, I realized that I lost it.

Luckily I had a backup of the complete library on my laptop and another external USB HDD.

I thought of buying an Aura One but could not get it on Amazon during that time (short supply due to high demand). So I bought a new H2O from Amazon.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
E-readers, no; hats, yes. I'm a big fan of hats (essential if you're a keen walker and live in or visit hot or wet countries) and I've left hats at airline check-in desks, on planes, trains, boats and buses, on mountain-tops and by the sea. I could certainly have bought a number of top-end readers with what I've had to spend on replacement hats.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-09-2017 at 08:21 AM.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
gweeks
Evangelist
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I left my reader on top of the car once while loading the kids into the car. I never did find the pieces of the reader. I assume it didn't survive. B&N support had the reader removed from my account and marked as lost/stolen that evening.
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
I left my reader on top of the car once while loading the kids into the car. I never did find the pieces of the reader. I assume it didn't survive.
It may well have done. If it slid off the roof as you drove away, and it was in a case, it would probably survive a fall to the ground.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I've never lost a Reader or a phone. I have lost some hats. I think the total was 2 or 3 hats. I was able to replace one of them eventually.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+ / Surface Pro 4
I once set my Ereader on the trunk of my car and drove off. As I turned the corner I saw it fall off. I immediately pulled over and walked back to the book. It was on the edge of the road. There were cars coming so I was waiting until they passed. The first car deliberately swerved and ran over my book. Luckily I had it insured through Square Trade.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I once set my Ereader on the trunk of my car and drove off. As I turned the corner I saw it fall off. I immediately pulled over and walked back to the book. It was on the edge of the road. There were cars coming so I was waiting until they passed. The first car deliberately swerved and ran over my book. Luckily I had it insured through Square Trade.
Apache
I'd have tried to get the license plate number and gone to the police given the deliberate running over of your Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Left my original kindle in my briefcase on the train. After a week or so I figured I was never going to get it back. A couple weeks later, I got a call from someone who found it. Someone was trying to sell it to him for $50, and when he took it out of the case, he found my business card. I offered to sell it to him for $50, but he said his wife already bought too many books, so I bought him a Starbucks card.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I left my reader at the gym one day and didn't notice it for several hours. Flew back to the gym and was delighted to find it in their Lost & Found box
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600, Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x2)
I left my e-reader on a plane at Düsseldorf airport once. One of the stewardesses came running out of the plane to the bus we'd just boarded to take us to the airport buildings to return it. I was very grateful (not to mention embarrassed).

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 08-09-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Bilbo1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Dazrin
▲▲▼▼◀▶◀▶ⒷⒶ
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
E-readers, no; hats, yes. I'm a big fan of hats (essential if you're a keen walker and live in or visit hot or wet countries) and I've left hats at airline check-in desks, on planes, trains, boats and buses, on mountain-tops and by the sea. I could certainly have bought a number of top-end readers with what I've had to spend on replacement hats.
I have done the same. Several people have been "gifted" new hats on our local light-rail system.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+ / Surface Pro 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd have tried to get the license plate number and gone to the police given the deliberate running over of your Reader.
It would have been my word against his that he deliberately swerved.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Something like that might seem intentional and might not be. The manager of our retirement home hit a pothole doing a couple of thousand dollars damage to her car a few weeks ago. I don't remember her exact description of what happened but it was something like she thought she would miss it but she jerked the wheel instead of just turning it and ended up hitting it. She was pretty unclear about why she did it. I don't think she knows herself.

Or he might have run it over just for the fun of it. There are a few people like that in the world.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
...I don't remember her exact description of what happened but it was something like she thought she would miss it but she jerked the wheel instead of just turning it and ended up hitting it. She was pretty unclear about why she did it. I don't think she knows herself.

Or he might have run it over just for the fun of it...
Golden Rule is when avoiding something look where you want to go to, not at what you are trying to avoid. She probably stared at the pothole.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I left my e-reader on a plane at Düsseldorf airport once. One of the stewardesses came running out of the plane to the bus we'd just boarded to take us to the airport buildings to return it. I was very grateful (not to mention embarrassed).
I wish my stewardess could have done the same... sigh!
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote