Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-30-2023, 07:32 PM   #1
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Using Calibre 5 Viewer with Calibre 6.17

When I first installed Calibre 6 Portable and opened Read Aloud the viewer crashed on my Win 10 desktop. I've installed the newer versions 6.13 and up to 6.17 and the viewer doesn't crash anymore but when I click on Read Aloud it takes about 10 seconds to actually start reading the book. That's not a big deal but at the beginning of each new chapter it takes at least 10 seconds to start reading again.

So I have the open with plugin and I use it to open the 5.38 Viewer, as it has no issues at all and no pauses with each new chapter. I tried copying the portable 5.38 Viewer to a Viewer 5 folder I made in the Calibre 6 Folder and it errors out.

I can keep the Calibre 5 portable folder but I'd prefer to have it all in one folder if possible. Does anyone know if I need to copy additional files from the C5 folder along with viewer to have them work?
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you put anything in the calibre install folder it will disappear when you update the installed version.

You don't need the open with plugin or calibre's built in open with.

Get Windows to use the viewer from version 5 portable install to open whatever formats you use and uncheck those formats from calibre->preferences->behaviour->use internal viewer for: list.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
kevn57
Connoisseur

>If you put anything in the calibre install folder it will disappear when you update the installed version

I'm using the portable which doesn't do that.

> calibre->preferences->behaviour->use internal viewer for

Thanks for this but I don't really want to change the default, I'm hoping that someday C6 viewer doesn't have those pauses, then I'll just use that. I changed the shortcut V to open with Calibre 5, I'd just like to get the C5 viewer into the same folder as C6 if that's at all possible. That way backup is really simple as well as keeping a copy on a flash drive for truly portable use.

The real reason I'm updating from C5 to C6 aside from the newer features is I want my portable to be 64bit. I never had any issues with 32bit but I've seen posts from other people where they had an issue with it.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
>If you put anything in the calibre install folder it will disappear when you update the installed version

I'm using the portable which doesn't do that.

> calibre->preferences->behaviour->use internal viewer for

Thanks for this but I don't really want to change the default, I'm hoping that someday C6 viewer doesn't have those pauses, then I'll just use that. I changed the shortcut V to open with Calibre 5, I'd just like to get the C5 viewer into the same folder as C6 if that's at all possible. That way backup is really simple as well as keeping a copy on a flash drive for truly portable use.

The real reason I'm updating from C5 to C6 aside from the newer features is I want my portable to be 64bit. I never had any issues with 32bit but I've seen posts from other people where they had an issue with it.
Actually Portable follows the same rules. Installation updates, will affect Program folders. Existing settings and the Library are rarely adjusted (structure changes only)

I think you want the Open With PLUGIN, with YOUR choice of viewers configured. Once that is done, a right click on the book (entry): Open with: <pick action from list> Note: the configuration allows selection to show as well as add actions. Very configurable.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
kevn57
Connoisseur

>I think you want the Open With PLUGIN, with YOUR choice of viewers configured

Yes thanks I have that set up already, the thing I really want to do is move the calibre 5 viewer into the Calibre 6 Folder, but I get an error when I just move the 5 viewer.exe file, so I'm thinking I need to additional files but I just don't know what those files are.
Advert
Old 05-01-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
>I think you want the Open With PLUGIN, with YOUR choice of viewers configured

Yes thanks I have that set up already, the thing I really want to do is move the calibre 5 viewer into the Calibre 6 Folder, but I get an error when I just move the 5 viewer.exe file, so I'm thinking I need to additional files but I just don't know what those files are.
You need everything in the <Calibre version 5 Portable>\Calibre sub directory - all 307.7 MBytes. You can't cherry pick from the 41 folders and 723 files it contains, and there's a Catch 22… it must be in a sub directory called Calibre.

This is how I access an older version of Portable Viewer ==>> Configuring and using Calibre's built in Open With

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:01 PM   #7
kevn57
Connoisseur

Thanks Red that's what I wanted to know. I guess I'll just keep both 5 & 6 for now.