Old 03-30-2023, 09:42 AM   #1
testing calibre
testing calibre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2018
content server sync misbehaviour

hello everybody,
dear great Kovid.

preparations:
i created CA key and cert and signed with them a server cert signing request. now i installed the CA on the reading devices trusted root store (just another windows machine for now). then i configured the calibre server with the server certificate and key and added a user with write access. restartet the content server. now i can successfully use a browser on the other device to connect to calibre server and read books.

here the issue:
highliting and annotating text in the browser reader does not get synced back to the origin book in the library on the calibre server. interestingly when configuring another windows machine to connect and read the same book then i will get some (but not all) hightlights and annotations from the other machines browsers interactions. but the main book on the calibre servers machine always stays unhighlited / unannotated. when explicitly adding highlites and annotationis on the calibre servers machines book (calibre reader opened with calibre library manager app) they never get synced to the reading machines browser.

in every constellation i tried to explicitly hit the sync button on the reading machines browser and also tried to restart calibre server and reconnect the reading machines browser and forcefully reload the books. non of the intermediating steps yielded a successful syncronization.
testing calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read the last paragraph in: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...hlighting-text
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2023, 11:11 AM   #3
testing calibre
testing calibre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Dear Kovid thank you for pointing me into the right direction. After providing the users identity syncing worked as expected - in online mode. Stopping calibre server and reloading book from browser cache for offline reading (by clicking continue reading on the browser readers library) clears all hightlights / annotations again. Starting content server and hitting sync in browser reloads all highlights / annotations. Then stopping calibre server again, add highlights / annotations in browser, starting calibre server, open book in viewer with calibre library manager does not immediatly sync back - have to explicitly hit reload in menu. I guess this explicit action is expected (e.g. to keep book loading time to a minimum). What i do not understand is why highlights / annotations aren't stored / reloaded from browser cache too (one cannot expect the browser user to know that there is no running calibre server instance and by reloading the book from browser cache all highlights / annotations get dumped - until next time calibre server is available). But overall calibre is the finest book reading / knowledge management system i found yet. Great work Kovid !!!
testing calibre is offline   Reply With Quote