Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 03-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #1
Ugur
Ugur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Opening Epub book takes 30s on external display

I'm currently using Calibre on a MacBook Pro 2018 with an i5 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB of storage. However, every time I open an Epub book, it takes about 20-30 seconds to fully load.

Apparently my external monitor (plugged via USB-C) was responsible for the slow down. Unplugging the external monitor (DELL S2722QC) will decrease startup time to 3 seconds!

Plugging in the external monitor and decreasing the resolution of it will decrease the load time to 7 seconds (down from 30s). Still not as fast as on my Macbook screen (3 seconds).

I am guessing that the viewer reads the resolution of the screen and calculates the page size for every page to be opened?

Anyone can point me to a solution?

Thank you very much!
Ugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will be some issue between chromium (which is what the viewer uses to render HTML) and the GPU drivers on your system. You can try turning off hardware acceleration which might help as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
Ugur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can try turning off hardware acceleration ... as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
There it says `--disable-gpu`. Do I pass this to `calibre` from the command line?
Old 03-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugur View Post
There it says `--disable-gpu`. Do I pass this to `calibre` from the command line?
Yes. Or the Target in the shortcuts that launches Calibre or Viewer (any shortcuts the commanded line is used )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:53 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugur View Post
No you set it in the environment variable described on that page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 02:21 AM   #6
Ugur

Solved!

Thank you very much Kovid,

with the new new environment variables file my problem is fixed!

Here's my new environment variables file:

CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR=~/.calibre/temp
CALIBRE_CACHE_DIRECTORY=~/.calibre/cache
QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu"
Old 03-29-2023, 02:24 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No you set it in the environment variable described on that page.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:41 AM   #8
Ugur

The solution worked only a day or so. The problem is back. Several restarts did not help.