Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Tirraon
Tirraon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Replacement/upgrade from Touch Lux 4

I am looking to buy a new ereader and wanted to ask for some advice. So far I have been using a Touch Lux 4 a 2 before that and while I was mostly fine with them I also had some issues that I would like to get rid of in the next device, especially since its basically one of my most used devices, surpassed only by the work laptop. I would like to stay at around 300€ or lower but I do not mind going higher if it gets me something concrete.

Issues have been mostly a somewhat poor build quality, with the finish of the plastic and the case on the 4 cracking just after a few months of use and the devices developing problems such as erratic page turns or being unable to correctly load some books.

Other than that my requirements are:
  • physical buttons
  • frontlight
  • no internet required, a one time activation is still meh, but I can live with that
  • I am okay with any screen size between 6-8 inches

optionally:
  • sd card slot
  • usb c, instead of micro usb
  • can play music

One thing I am not sure about is if I should get an android e-ink device or stay with dedicated e-readers. I mean I would still an android device as a dedicated e-reader but better cpu and more customization might be worth it, I do not know.

As a side note I would have really loved to add requirements such as - runs a mainline kernel and open sw(or that can at least be flashed to the device) and has a removable(ideally standardized) battery and move sd card slot up, but such a device does not seem to exist yet.
Tirraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
For your need-to-have list, the Kindle Oasis, the Kobo Forma and the Kobo Libra are all suitable. None of them has anything from your optional list, though. I don't know of any device having all the features from both of your lists.

Kobo readers are very hackable and very customizable, without any need to root/jailbreak. Many hacks and patches are available here in the Kobo forum. The Kindle is not really hackable, but it is customizable to a degree (you can load custom fonts and custom font sizes on it). It's faster than Kobos, if that's important to you. Not that Kobos are terribly slow or anything.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-04-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirraon View Post

Other than that my requirements are:
  • physical buttons
  • frontlight
  • no internet required, a one time activation is still meh, but I can live with that
  • I am okay with any screen size between 6-8 inches

optionally:
  • sd card slot
  • usb c, instead of micro usb
  • can play music

One thing I am not sure about is if I should get an android e-ink device or stay with dedicated e-readers. I mean I would still an android device as a dedicated e-reader but better cpu and more customization might be worth it, I do not know.

As a side note I would have really loved to add requirements such as - runs a mainline kernel and open sw(or that can at least be flashed to the device) and has a removable(ideally standardized) battery and move sd card slot up, but such a device does not seem to exist yet.
Likebook P78
+ Bluetooth remote control
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote