Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Here is a very good guide to regex -- Search and Replace on steroids.

http://www.regular-expressions.info

To start with you may need to experiment, but once you get the hang of it, it makes fixing common mistakes much, much easier.

Have you ever searched for something and used the wildcard? That is one simple basic regex.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #17
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
I've already completed the changes but will look at for future help.
Thanks!
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #18
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You are likely to find using regular expressions in search and replace daunting. Most of us non-programmers find a few that are useful and save them for use when necessary.

You can search for regex on the forums and see what kind of questions people have asked. When I find something of potential interest I highlight and copy and then paste into a file in Notepad, saving it with a name that will hopefully allow me to remember what it was it does.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I also strongly recommend the guide from Pablo: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130390
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
Finally got to work with the code:

p {
text-indent: 1.2em;
}

But I now have to add the <P>and </p> to every paragraph.

Patrice
The Unfinished
With all due respect, if you don't already have the surrounding p tags, opening and closing, your book is borked anyway, so you'd best get that solved right away. I can't imagine what is in there, in lieu, unless some program output paragraphs with, god forbid, </b> between them.

What nobody here said to you in plain English is that there's no such thing as TABS in HTML, period. That's why sitting there hitting the tabs (I don't know how you put those in, either, as there's no "tab" key in Sigil; I can only surmise that you were hitting the "tab" key on your keyboard, and because you were in bookview, didn't realize that in the HTML, nothing whatsoever was occurring) makes absolutely nothing happen.

Every single element in HTML has to be surrounded with tags. There are a few notable exceptions, like breaks or image calls, but overall, all headings, paragraphs, etc., must have opening and closing tags. I'd highly and strongly recommend Pablo's tutorial in the Wiki, and then take a few days to work through the HTML/CSS classes at W3 schools. It might be better if you did the HTML/CSS first, and then Pablo's tutorial.

Then come back here and post for help with all the code that won't work, in the Workshop forums. The questions you're asking really have nothing to do with Sigil, and everything to do with basic HTML, CSS and ePUB issues.

Hopefully that is of use to you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
With HTML, you are working in the sort of language which is hidden from you when you use a word processor. That is why if something is a paragraph, it has to be marked that way. Ditto for everything else.

This is why a number of people start with a word processor, Word, Atlantis Word Processor to create all of these basic things as HTML files or as epubs, using addons like Toxaris' or AWP which publishes epubs. Then they use Sigil or the Calibre Editor to tweak things at the very end when they aren't be displayed as desired.

Sigil has a function, Flight Crew, which tells you whether you are doing well in working with HTML. You should not do much at one time given your skill level right now, without running Flight Crew or if using the Calibre Editor, Check book.

There are no tabs, but Sigil can create indents, but most things act at the paragraph level without some intervention from you. You can check out the tutorials. It might be helpful to you to open an epub you admire in Sigil and look at the code view and see how it is done. Book View, just like the image you see on the display of a word processor, is dependent on the underlying hidden language. If the underlying language is not right, then when you try to drive it in an e-reader, it may lock up or look bizarre with whole sections missing.

Believe it, I made a four line table disappear this morning because the underlying code was defective.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indent, indentation, tab