Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
52 - the magic 1 book a week number

I hit 52 books for the year. I rarely do as:
  • I tend to read thick books
  • I also enjoy watching tv, arguing on the internet etc.

But I read a good number of "box set for a $1" series where the individual books were small. And I read 6 shorts from Dean Koontz that were part of an Audible promotion.

I know many of you read far far more. And I'm discovering a bit more empathy for those grousing about the price of books. Read enough, and the price really does matter.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Short books, long books, it's all good. Glad to see that you understand about the pricing. I wish libraries carried either of my favorite genres (scifi & fantasy) in larger numbers in either ebook or audiobook, but they don't, so buying is my only option. Can't read regular printed stuff any longer.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I wish libraries carried either of my favorite genres (scifi & fantasy) in larger numbers in either ebook or audiobook, but they don't, so buying is my only option.
I feel that way about the dearth of my favorite genres at the libraries, too; I wonder if it's universal? It seems to me that the library offerings are overwhelmingly romance, mystery, chicklit and popular fiction, celebrity bios and memoirs, and yes, scifi and fantasy. Relatively little history, literary fiction and fiction in translation.

I've noticed this year that my reading has been chugging along at one third borrowed, one third bought or public domain, and one third audio (where I don't distinguish between borrowed and bought, but I know it skews heavily to borrowed). I can get along for a long time on what I bought during the Kobocalypse days and cherry picking the occasional current deal or something I just really want to read now. I admit the beauty of my likes is that there's little pressure to stay current; I'm not waiting on the latest releases by favorite authors at all, which helps a whole lot in keeping costs to a minimum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I feel that way about the dearth of my favorite genres at the libraries, too; I wonder if it's universal? It seems to me that the library offerings are overwhelmingly romance, mystery, chicklit and popular fiction, celebrity bios and memoirs, and yes, scifi and fantasy. Relatively little history, literary fiction and fiction in translation.

I've noticed this year that my reading has been chugging along at one third borrowed, one third bought or public domain, and one third audio (where I don't distinguish between borrowed and bought, but I know it skews heavily to borrowed). I can get along for a long time on what I bought during the Kobocalypse days and cherry picking the occasional current deal or something I just really want to read now. I admit the beauty of my likes is that there's little pressure to stay current; I'm not waiting on the latest releases by favorite authors at all, which helps a whole lot in keeping costs to a minimum.
I am VERY lucky that my local library is 1 - the best in the state and 2 - almost always has what I am looking for. If my local public doesn't have it, I just use my alumni privileges at the UNC Libraries and they can find almost anything.

My wife is the one who really buys books in our house, and they are usually DTBs. Even with her buying habits, my print TBR only went up a cumulative nine volumes this year. My audio TBR decreased by a net of 33 and my ebook TBR dropped by a net of 36.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I read a lot of short books this year. They are from two long running cozy mystery series. One is from 'Patti Benning', a group of ghost writers. The other series has 74 books and is from the Oceanside cozies.

Long story short, I'm poised at 119 books, and need one more to complete my Goodreads challenge.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I hit 52 books for the year. I rarely do as:
  • I tend to read thick books
  • I also enjoy watching tv, arguing on the internet etc.

But I read a good number of "box set for a $1" series where the individual books were small. And I read 6 shorts from Dean Koontz that were part of an Audible promotion.

I know many of you read far far more. And I'm discovering a bit more empathy for those grousing about the price of books. Read enough, and the price really does matter.
I'm at 216 books purchased from Amazon this year, which is around my norm, I suspect. I'm not sure how many I read, especially if you include various re-reads, but it's likely somewhere close to that. Can't say that I watch a lot of TV, mostly just certain sports.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
One a week seems about right. But stuff happens, so 50 is prolly more likely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
how much time do you all have? working full time, i hardly have the time to read 1 book a month.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Apsalar
Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
how much time do you all have? working full time, i hardly have the time to read 1 book a month.
I work full-time and average 80 books per year.
Apsalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
I stopped watching TV and goofing around on the internet when not at work.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I stopped watching TV and goofing around on the internet when not at work.

Does that mean you only watch TV and goof around on the internet AT work?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
Tomk2
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Does that mean you only watch TV and goof around on the internet AT work?
Yes! I have way more reading time now. The trick is to be satisfied with the 15 to 30 min of TV that can be squeezed in at work. And also break the habit of mindless internet as your default behaviour whenever you have more than 60 seconds free. Because 60 seconds turns into an hour rather quickly. Mobilread and one other forum excepted, of course.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've just checked and I've manged 54 books this year, albeit there were seven that I gave up on and didn't finish (most recent being H(a)ppy by Nicola Barker). Three of them were short stories, one was a 3-book collection. I started the year off with Jo Nesbo's The Son, and the book I've just finished was Jon Lier Horst's Closed for Winter. 17 were books borrowed from the library.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote