Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
geminii_77
geminii_77 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, Bookeen CyBook Opus, Odyssey and Odyssey Frontlight
Question Looking for a new reader

I'm currently using a Bookeen Cybook Opus as I like being able to drag and drop the books/folders onto the SD card and having it all set up ready unlike the Kindle.

My problem is that the buttons are starting to stick on my everyday unit (I have a spare for my holidays) and I want to buy a new reader but I still want the folders/subfolders setup I've currently got (it's a lot like the documents folder on your pc).

I'm in the UK and am willing to pay up to £150 as I use this everyday for a minimum of 5 hours a day during the week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
geminii_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminii_77 View Post
I'm currently using a Bookeen Cybook Opus as I like being able to drag and drop the books/folders onto the SD card and having it all set up ready unlike the Kindle.

My problem is that the buttons are starting to stick on my everyday unit (I have a spare for my holidays) and I want to buy a new reader but I still want the folders/subfolders setup I've currently got (it's a lot like the documents folder on your pc).

I'm in the UK and am willing to pay up to £150 as I use this everyday for a minimum of 5 hours a day during the week.

The Icarus illumina or boyue t61 might work. I have mine on the way to me right now, so I can't vouch for reliability/quality just yet, but I will post a review when I get it.
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What do you mean "unlike the Kindle"? With the Kindle, you can either download directly via wi-fi (or 3G if you bought that option), or download to your computer, and drag and drop via USB to the Kindle. Equally easy, I would think, or even easier, via wi-fi/3G.

Of course, the Kindle does not use folders/subfolders for storage.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
What do you mean "unlike the Kindle"? With the Kindle, you can either download directly via wi-fi (or 3G if you bought that option), or download to your computer, and drag and drop via USB to the Kindle. Equally easy, I would think, or even easier, via wi-fi/3G.

Of course, the Kindle does not use folders/subfolders for storage.
I believe the OP was referring to the fact that the Kindle does not have an SD card and thus cannot copy to a card to move files to the device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe the OP was referring to the fact that the Kindle does not have an SD card and thus cannot copy to a card to move files to the device.
I always found it really annoying that I had to plug my Kindle in instead of the SD card. It's really hard and unreasonable. I about it every day.

Um, no.
Quote:
My understanding is the problem lies with folder setup. The Kindle does, fortunately, have a kindlet hack which can walk the directories of your documents folder and build collections based on them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I always found it really annoying that I had to plug my Kindle in instead of the SD card. It's really hard and unreasonable. I about it every day.

Um, no.

My understanding is the problem lies with folder setup. The Kindle does, fortunately, have a kindlet hack which can walk the directories of your documents folder and build collections based on them.
It is funny how two people can read the same thing and get different answers. The buttons are the reason he wants to replace his reader but the lack of an SD card was stated as the reason he didn't want a Kindle reader. Read it again.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If you are willing to do some hacking, you can get a Kindle Paperwhite, jailbreak it, and install KOreader. Then you can put all your books in folders and subfolders. I have hundreds of epubs on my PW. I really like it! I arrange my folders while the device is connected to my PC. Much faster than doing it on device.

Quote:

booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is funny how two people can read the same thing and get different answers. The buttons are the reason he wants to replace his reader but the lack of an SD card was stated as the reason he didn't want a Kindle reader. Read it again.

Dale
I read it the same as eschwartz.

"I like being able to drag and drop the books/folders onto the SD card and having it all set up ready".

Seems to imply the books being organised in folders after a simple drag and drop. Because after all, you can drag and drop books onto a Kindle just as easily as onto an SD card, the difference is, the Kindle ignores the folders, unless you follow booklover6's advice.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
However, the reason the OP wants to get a new reader is because of the buttons sticking. He would like the new reader he is getting, though, to have a folder structure on a SD card.

Wouldn't an Onyz T68 fall into his price range? I think it uses a folder structure.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
geminii_77
geminii_77 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, Bookeen CyBook Opus, Odyssey and Odyssey Frontlight
Yes I am looking for a new reader because the buttons are sticking, however the main thing I look for is the folder structure like windows documents folder. However internet access is not a pre-requisite.

I will have a look at the Onyx and see what it is like.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by geminii_77; 08-28-2014 at 10:52 AM.
geminii_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yes I am looking for a new reader because the buttons are sticking, however the main thing I look for is the folder structure like windows documents folder. However internet access is not a pre-requisite.
A Nook Simple Touch, rooted with Nook Manager, is great that way. I use Calibre to send books to device. They all show up in author folders.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Tagging onto this thread b/c i'm looking for a new e-ink reader also. My first and favorite reader was my Sony 650 but its battery life has really gone down. I now do most of my reading on my Nook HD (which just died) or Nook HD+ which is just too heavy. I'd like to move back to e-ink for reading. I've tried a Kobo (earlier one, not the Glow) a few years back and didn't care for it much. Ds has a Nook ST that is OK but not great either. I want something very similar to the Sony - esp having the folders, easy highlighting, etc. Has to be touchscreen, can't stand buttons to turn pages. What would be the most similar to the Sony 650? If I rooted the Nook ST as above, would that "feel" like a Sony?
Or jailbreak the Kindle PW? Does the light on the PW turn off or is it automatic? I really don't think I'd want a light very often, as I mostly read near a lamp. But the previous Kindle is not touchscreen I believe and the resolution is poorer. Ideas?
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The frontlight really improves the contrast even when you have room lighting/lamp lighting. I recommend it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
The Icarus illumina or boyue t61 might work. I have mine on the way to me right now, so I can't vouch for reliability/quality just yet, but I will post a review when I get it.
Just wanted to provide an update: I'd recommend staying away from the boyue t61. Despite the purported "long life battery", it only lasted for a day without even having a book open! when i tried to return it to banggood.com where I bought it from, they had the audacity to suggest that this was normal for android and denied my return. Luckily, I had used paypal and they authorized my return.
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
A Nook Simple Touch, rooted with Nook Manager, is great that way. I use Calibre to send books to device. They all show up in author folders.
But the ability to run Calibre Companion on an Android device gives you library management capabilities which are far better than any system of folders can achieve. That's the key benefit (for me) of devices like the T68.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote