Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I suppose next we'll start seeing more books in Topaz format as they try to get things more locked down.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #47
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you had a Kindle, you would be risking Amazon actually seeing the illegal content on your Kindle.
But the Kindle TOS don't say anything about you stripping the DRM from other sources and using on your Kindle....they only prohibit you from stripping the DRM from Amazon-purchased content. Correct?
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #48
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Ouch - this is too bad. I really don't understand why companies want to push business away from themselves.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #49
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
They didn't care about the script until the iPod app came out. At the same time, they started to remove the serial number from the "My Kindle" page. I don't think this is a coincidence.
I don't have the iPhone, so I didn't know about that (well, I do know there is the Kindle App). Did I understand right that I can buy e-books cheaper on the iPhone than on the Kindle?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #50
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I don't have the iPhone, so I didn't know about that (well, I do know there is the Kindle App). Did I understand right that I can buy e-books cheaper on the iPhone than on the Kindle?
No, that's not correct.

People without a Kindle had to buy Mobipocket books from one of the other online reatailers. Usually, those prices were in the US$20-25 range for a book, while they were only $9.99 on Amazon. With the release of the iPod app, they can now buy the books at the Amazon price, strip the DRM, and use them on any mobipocket enabled device.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #51
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
No, that's not correct.

People without a Kindle had to buy Mobipocket books from one of the other online reatailers. Usually, those prices were in the US$20-25 range for a book, while they were only $9.99 on Amazon. With the release of the iPod app, they can now buy the books at the Amazon price, strip the DRM, and use them on any mobipocket enabled device.
But you cannot strip DRM with kindlepid, can you?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybernation View Post
But the Kindle TOS don't say anything about you stripping the DRM from other sources and using on your Kindle....they only prohibit you from stripping the DRM from Amazon-purchased content. Correct?
Amazon owns Mobipocket and they also can see what DRMed eBooks you've purchased from them. So if they see you reading an eBook that should have DRM and thus purchased from Amazon, but not purchased from Amazon, they could turn around and take you to court over the content on your Kindle that's not legal because of the DMCA. And to make matters worse, the TTS may make the DMCA exception worthless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
it's my understanding that no, you cannot.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But without Kindlepid, you cannot get the PID of your iPhone or iPod Touch. And without the PID, there is no way to strip the DRM.

The PID is the key to unlock the door that is DRM. So if I have the key, I could use it. But without the key, the Kindle eBooks remain locked good and tight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #55
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Exactly. And they only pointed at kindlepid.py in the notice.
Alex,

It's entirely obvious from your posting on this thread as well as your posting celebrating passing the 10,000 edition mark with ebooks here on Mobileread that you just don't get it.

The same laws that protect Mobileread's freedom to publish public domain works also protects Amazon's publisher's rights to control how and where their copyrighted works are published.

Despite what you claim in this thread, Amazon didn't use the DMCA to control where books could be published. Amazon has been doing that by going to the other digital distributors and having them "fix the bug" in their PID processing for Mobipocket editions.

All their DMCA action did here was make it extremely clear that they consider Kindle PID's to be secret encryption keys employed to control distribution of digital media.

I also suspect your attitude would be highly negative if I backed up a virtual dump truck over in the 10,000+ edition free ebook repository and started scooping up piles of content there and hauling them over to Amazon and putting them up for $.99 each.

If you feel a law is too broad in it's powers you work to change the law, you don't break it. Because when you start breaking laws you may discover they protect things you do care about.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #56
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But without Kindlepid, you cannot get the PID of your iPhone or iPod Touch. And without the PID, there is no way to strip the DRM.
Then you also have to take away my computer. Without my computer, I have no way to access the Internet. Without accessing the Internet, I have no way to purchase e-books I could strip DRM from.

My point being, kindlepid by itself does not strip DRM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #57
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
What if Mobileread issued a press release concerning Amazon's harrasement of a community that supports the adoption of ebooks?

If Amazon wants to send legal threats to Mobileread then they deserve some bad publicity. I've seen some of Zelda's posts that are scathing while remaining very civil, and I bet she could write a press release that could really highlight Amazon's abuse of DMCA and the shameful way they treat leading advocates of ebooks.

Does anyone on this forum have press contacts?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #58
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
If you feel a law is too broad in it's powers you work to change the law, you don't break it. Because when you start breaking laws you may discover they protect things you do care about.
Why do you claim that certain action is breaking the law when it has not been tested in court and different opinions exists?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #59
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach... Please people, follow my signature link to the EFF... We really need to stop abuses like this happening...

As for Amazon, add me to the list of those you've alienated.

To Alex, sorry this happened... I'm also sorry you just sought to support Amazon with the K2 contest... I, like countless others, appreciate all your effort and am sad to see something like this happen.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #60
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Scotty,

Quote:
It's entirely obvious from your posting on this thread as well as your posting celebrating passing the 10,000 edition mark with ebooks here on Mobileread that you just don't get it.
with all due respect, what gives you the right to insult me? I think I know very well what I "get" and what I "don't", and just because you have a very particular point of view doesn't mean that everyone else here has to agree with you.

Quote:
Despite what you claim in this thread, Amazon didn't use the DMCA to control where books could be published.
How do you know? Have you seen the notice? Have you seen our correspondence with their lawyer? Have you talked to Amazon?

Quote:
All their DMCA action did here was make it extremely clear that they consider Kindle PID's to be secret encryption keys employed to control distribution of digital media.
They didn't make anything "extremely clear" in the DMCA notice; in fact, they didn't say anything about a Kindle PID.

Quote:
I also suspect your attitude would be highly negative if I backed up a virtual dump truck over in the 10,000+ edition free ebook repository and started scooping up piles of content there and hauling them over to Amazon and putting them up for $.99 each.
There is a difference whether I would have a "highly negative" attitude towards you or whether I send you a DMCA notice through my lawyer.

Quote:
I didn't break any law.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote