Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Do you go with or without a case?

Just curious if it would be bad of me to go without the case on my ereader. I've always kept it on. The automatic wake up is nice but it's so slim without it and just better looking.

Would it be silly of me to just go without the case?? Would it just be me asking for a broken ereader if I did?
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Voyage always has the cover on, but I take both my Oases out while reading. Still, I don't lug them around the house and never take them outside, I always read on my sofa. If I wanted to carry them with me wherever I go, I'd probably keep them in the case. Otherwise, yes, it's just asking for a broken reader, imho.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverty View Post
Would it be silly of me to just go without the case?? Would it just be me asking for a broken ereader if I did?
I used to always keep my e-reader in a sleeve rather than a case, and I ring it everywhere with me.

I found a very slim KWMobile case that I like, but depending on how careful you are with stuff, a sleeve would likely be fine.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
My Kindle K3 has a padded zipper case for storage and travel, but is used naked. My 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet travels (usually) in case with accessories, but also has a cover that doubles as a stand. I use both for reading, but as light as the Dell is by tablet standards, I find it somewhat heavy for holding and usually read with it standing on a table.

Both are years and years old, both bought early during their commercial availability, and both are in great shape. I've never felt the need for a cover for the Kindle. I like its svelt profile and light weight and wouldn't want the extra bulk of a cover.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Pouch for transporting. No case when reading.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
No case. In the summer, I put it in my cargo shorts pocket or jeans back pocket, otherwise a coat pocket.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I use my Paperwhite naked, without and cover or case. But I transport is in a neoprene case. I actually bought the case for my Fire HD8, which fits like a glove. Perfectly. The case would be a little too big, but usable, on the PaperWhite alone. But I nestle the PaperWhite next to the Fire tablet in the neoprene case because I always carry both of them in tandem.

https://evecase.com/collections/evec...ne-handle-case

My Fire tablet does have a cover and I nestle the PaperWhite with its screen facing the Fire's cover inside the neoprene case, so that adds additional protection. But I don't like using the PaperWhite with a cover - that just makes it too bulky and cumbersome. The only time you need protection is during transport anyway. I like the carrying handles on the neoprene (see picture at above link). This case fits the Fire HD8 (with cover) perfectly. And I mean perfectly. It is like it was designed specifically for this tablet.

Here's the cover I have on the Fire tablet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2KGE68...ing=UTF8&psc=1
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i would prefer to just use a back cover, even if it's just a decal from decalgirl. and if i use coverage just for the back, i always keep it in a zippered case while in transport. this is how i have it for the nook glowlight+ and my former voyage. with the oasis 2, there is no standalone back cover, and when i first got it, the decalgirl decal was not available. so i got a full cover from fintie for it instead. been using that ever since with no regrets because it was thin enough.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I have always had a cover from the very first days of Kindle ownership. I know how careless and clumsy I can be and my e-readers are precious.

There is such a wide variety of pretty and cheap covers to choose from these days that part of the fun is selecting just the right one for my e-reader.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've gone without a case from 2010 (first ereader) until last year. I used sleeves instead, primarily to protect the unit when it was in my purse or baggage. I did not want the added weight. However, I am now developing arthritis and am much more fumbly. I now have a case on all the ereaders except the Nook ST (easy to hold). The Fintie and Ayotu cases add very little weight and protect against scratches. To protect against a drop to concrete, you need something a little more hefty than this.

I bought a protective plastic that fits over the Nook ST screen, thus not needing a case. That is a good option if you don't want any added weight.

I have not had cases on either Fire HDX or the cheapo Fires, using sleeves when not in use. However, the Fire 8" is very, very slippery and falls regularly (fortunately onto carpeting) and plan to get a case for that.

Do I think it's silly to go without? No. If you take good care with your device, you aren't going to get scratches whether you have a case or not. Just make sure if you have a cat to always place your device face down. The only scratches I ever got were from cats walking on the darn thing (really tiny, and I don't ordinarily notice it). However, if you travel with your unit, you really need a case or sleeve or you will easily damage the screen.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-27-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I always have a cover on my ereaders. Rarely do I read on one without a case.

I have carried one in my purse without a case when the purse was too slim to accomodate the reader with cover. That just seems wrong somehow.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
With a sleep cover always. I take my reader with me everywhere, but even if it was kept in the house, I'd still keep it protected. I'm pretty anal though about keeping my electronics in pristine condition. A scratch anywhere on the reader would drive me nuts and I'd have to replace it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No Cover! Cover wont save the Reader If its Sat on .... Might save the glass/plastic from nicks & scrapes.... But only when its dropped the Cover is Closed.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Always with a case. All of my phones, ereaders, and tablets have cases.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #15
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I always go without a case/sleepcover. I always find it too heavy and clunky with it. Never had a broken e-reader because of it.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote