Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Understanding Metadata

Hello,
I'm having a problem with my metadata. After making changes with "edit metadata" i always then choose "embed metadata" before using "send to device". Sometimes this works beautifully, other times not at all. The changes are reflected in Calibre as far as i can see. But Bookari doesn't always see the changes (i am currently trying to find out if there is a way to refresh the metadata in Bookari). The fact that Bookari sees some of the changes makes me think all is well on that end and something is amiss with my workflow in Calibre.

This brings to mind a couple questions. Is using the "embed metadata" normally enough or do i need to "polish books" too/instead? (or something else altogether). Is there a way to see the "embedded" content of a book file (epub) to verify it is actually embedded?

- Tom
Android device with Bookari reader. Epub files.

Last edited by tomx2; 09-24-2018 at 07:43 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Devices

Embed affects the Library (aka file copy). STD inserts metadata on the fly to the device.

NOW, you did not say what formats fail. .

All or just some? (which ones fail?)
Initial send, or a 'revised' (updated) send?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
tomx2
Connoisseur

Thanks Ducks,
Sorry, i tried to indicate Epub. All my files are epub i'm working with currently. The STD behavior sounds like a good option for me as i'm not interested in creating an "original" file in my database (as in Polish). Initial send and after trying a few kinds of embeds i still get no updated metadata in the reader. Could it be possibly tied to the version of epub? Also, is there a way to open the epub (in calibre or elsewhere) and see the embedded info (text editor?), so i can verify that it is truly there? (that way i could troubleshoot where the problem lies more easily).

- t

Last edited by tomx2; 09-25-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If the metadata is a standard DublinCore field, then:
It is probably tied to the reader not updating on a resend

If it is a custom column that never shows, then you need to use the plugboard to stuff (merge) the value into a recognized field.
Authors {authors} ({#pages})

and you might run into the resend issue when you fix the misssing info
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tomx2 - have you considered using Calibre Companion on your Note, it sees all the calibre metadata and it can probably front-end Bookari.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
tomx2
Connoisseur

Thanks both of you. I recently found a thread that you both contributed to that seems to describe my issue.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3752326

However, after installing the plug-in i'm left with the same issue. The suggestion of using the companion seems promising. Not completely sure what "probably front-end" means but i'll look into it.

The reader seems to not be refreshing on a re-send as in struggling with this issue, i just found that i can force Bookari to see the changes (good news) however, it requires me to delete the book and re-send it. This unfortunately also deletes any and all annotations associated with the file (bad news) i don't want to lose all the work put in with the annotations.

Heading over to calibre companion FAQ site now. Thanks again, Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-25-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
The suggestion of using the companion seems promising. Not completely sure what "probably front-end" means but i'll look into it.
CC will 'manage the library' on the Note, and pass a selected book to the configured reader app - i.e. it stands in front of the reader app.

The 'probably' expresses my uncertainty that CC can in fact pass books to the Bookari reader, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

BR
Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
cc passes books to bookari ok, but both bookari and moon+ carry out an initial database setup , per book, in their own records, and don't then refresh it if the book is re-sent. So e.g. if you change the book cover and re-send it - you will continue to see the old cover in the moon/bookari apps
so you are back to delete book, lose annotations, -re-add the book, unless_ radical thought - you check that the metadata is all correct BEFORE you start reading and annotating ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
tomx2
Connoisseur

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Stumped, your statement is the first i've ever heard (or been able to search out) that the reader(s) does not refresh, thanks for the clarification, although it's bad news for me unfortunately. Finally, i have the reason why things aren't working as anticipated!

It all seems backwards though, as least in my case. As for getting things correct before loading books, i do, however the book, of course, needs to be loaded to annotate and you need to read the book to know it's contents before you can apply notes about it's contents (i.e. personal review, etc). In other words, where i'm having an issue is that after i have read a book (and annotated, underlined, highlighted, etc) i like to add a few notes at the bottom of the comments about my thoughts on the book. Kind of a reminder for future refrence of what i liked or disliked about the book, etc, etc. Difficult to do, of course, prior to loading the book for reading. So i guess it's a catch 22, i can get metadata right and annotate but not add any notes or i can get metadata right add notes, but not have any annotation. A disappointment for sure.

Another thought, i wonder if there is a way to pass the annotation(s) on? In other words, save the annotations in a file of some sort, delete book, add my notes, re-send to device and then reapply the annotations? A lot of extra work for something that a simple refresh would cure.

Last edited by tomx2; 09-26-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

its logical really - I doubt that any reader an take annotations, highlights, bookmarks from version A of a book and apply them to version B. because version B could have extra, or less pages etc...

you can store your post-read comments in calibre, in the free format book description, or you can publish them at goodreads.... and you can probably force that updated freeform description/summary back into the book , as a "jacket" page , using calibre editor or plug in tools

some readers have a simple method of exporting annotations - pretty sure that Kindle does it, for one - it also has a method for sharing highlights . for epub you may do better asking for recommendations in a new thread. Moon+ , is , I think, not good for that, though there is a book info field which moon creates stores, which may accept freeform text updates made on the device. Moon+ , with sync via cloud storage enabled, creates a .epub.an file for each book in dropbox/apps/book/cache..., but I have never deciphered what it puts in there.

kindle ( eink or tablet app ) puts your annotations onto a web page in your account at amazon which you can access, I believe.

best solutions may depend on whether you want all that stuff inside of the epub, or can live with it stored elsewhere, but linked.

Bookari almost certainly has a solution of sorts, though it may not be as you loike it. I say that because they promote being able to share study notes - maybe via their own cloud solution though
Old 09-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
tomx2
Connoisseur

Thanks,
At least the book file will be named the same and the body of the book will be unchanged (only the comments) so maybe? I'll have to look into what "free format book description" is and where it's located (couldn't find anything with a quick search). I'm going to use Bookari (with epub) as it seems for me to be the best option with all it's features. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions as well. All i really want is for one or two lines of text to be inserted into the epub file (comments), that's all....so they will be part of the epub file and travel with the book (to make it easy when i have to move to a new device, and also automatically readable in both Calibre and Bookari). Thanks again for your time with this, i'll do some more research and post back should i find a solution...or have more questions!

-t

Last edited by tomx2; 09-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
kindle ( eink or tablet app ) puts your annotations onto a web page in your account at amazon which you can access, I believe.
Mind, even this is not perfect. I had highlights for the ASoIaF 5-book set and when the ebook was updated to a new version, highlights were off by a few words, sentences or even entire paragraphs.

Thankfully, the Kindle app allows exporting annotations to HTML which I did before allowing the ebook to update.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
Thanks,
I'm going to use Bookari (with epub) as it seems for me to be the best option with all it's features. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions as well. All i really want is for one or two lines of text to be inserted into the epub file (comments), that's all....so they will be part of the epub file and travel with the book (to make it easy when i have to move to a new device). Thanks again for your time with this, i'll do some more research and post back should i find a solution...or have more questions!

-t
the modify epub plug in which I use with calibre - has options to add, remove "jacket". that is quite an old plug in - newer ones like "polish" should have similar features, I can tick one of these 3, or none: remove all jackets, remove legacy jackets or add/replace jacket
I think " jacket" is whatever is found in the summary box in the right hand pane, under the cover picture
so anything you write into that box can be added to the book, as part of the book
and that revised probably also updates within calibre companion whn you re-send the book, if you use that on the device., that just leaves the info shown by the reader apps on their " shelves" displays as not updated, but if you can live with that...
but do check all the above with a "jacket" expert, its not a feature I use , personally
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #14
tomx2
Connoisseur

Good tip! The "book jacket" option just may work. I would (and did) think that "book Jacket" was something to do with the cover. I'll check it out, although it seems that it would have a similar result in Bookari. Maybe The companion is necessary for what i would like to do.

-t
Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Polish puts the "book jacket" in a file called 'jacket.xhtml', immediately after the cover page ('titlepage.xhtml') - I prefer to have it at the back of the book, which is easily done with the editor - just drag it there in the file list.

Suggestion, instead of appending your review to the Comments column, where it could get overwritten by a subsequent metadata download, add a custom column.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	166512

Show it as an icon in Book List

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	166513

You can edit it in the Book List by tabbing to the icon and pressing F2

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	166514

You'll probably want to check the Review column in the Look and Feel->Book Details tab, I would position it immediately before Comments.

BR