Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Waddap!? ePub double page question

Hey people, haven't been here in a long time now, i'm glad to see this forum is still active and some of the oldies are still around.

I was out of the ePub scene for a very long time and now I need to make a book and I kind of forgot what's possible or not. Basically, I want to make an image spread on "two pages" (because it's a wide image) on a reflowable epub.

I remember there are no "real" pages in an epub, but still, is it possible to force the device to change orientation for that image to show full screen? or a javascript that will open the image on full screen on tap? what would be a good way to tackle this issue?

odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
Hey people, haven't been here in a long time now, i'm glad to see this forum is still active and some of the oldies are still around.

I was out of the ePub scene for a very long time and now I need to make a book and I kind of forgot what's possible or not. Basically, I want to make an image spread on "two pages" (because it's a wide image) on a reflowable epub.

I remember there are no "real" pages in an epub, but still, is it possible to force the device to change orientation for that image to show full screen? or a javascript that will open the image on full screen on tap? what would be a good way to tackle this issue?

If you have an image whose width is bigger that its height, with an image processor, rotate the image 90 degree to the left and insert that image (rotated) in your epub

EDIT: Of course, you could try/play with the property "transform: rotate (-90deg);" (or "-webkit-transform: rotate (-90deg);") but in ADE won't work.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 08-09-2018 at 08:35 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Hola RbnJrg,

Is there a way to make it work on ADE as well?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The problem with rotating an image is not knowing if the user reads with the device in profile or landscape mode. How annoying when you turn your device to look at the "sideways" image, and find that the device rotates the display so that the image is STILL sideways!!
Just code so that the image takes up the available width by using either width=100% or wrap it in an svg on it's own page. Most devices/apps have the ability to "zoom" on an image when you tap (or double tap) it. So if it is an intricate, hi-res, image that you are really proud of, and the user is really interested, they can take the 1/2 second to tap the image. If they aren't interested in zooming then they won't be annoyed by sideways images.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Hola RbnJrg,

Thanks!
Under epub2, no, sorry. You'll need to work with epub3 to do that on ADE.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Hola RbnJrg,

Thanks!
No, and as Turtle so correctly points out, NOTHING is as bloody annoying as having some genius put a 90degree rotated image in an eBook, when you have auto-rotate set in your device so that you sit there chasing the bloody thing around.

I found this out the hard way, in the very early days of Booknook.biz, when we thought we were SOOOO clever, embedding rotated images to emulate spreads...and hoooo-boy, did we hear about it! And, no, not in a good way.

Just put the thing in there, as large as you wish, set with the top at the same "top" as the text. The reader can easily tap-zoom it, optimizing its appearance for their reader, rather than we bookmakers guesstimating it for them.

In this instance, it is definitely best to leave the driving to the reader and his or her device.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Just put the thing in there, as large as you wish, set with the top at the same "top" as the text. The reader can easily tap-zoom it, optimizing its appearance for their reader, rather than we bookmakers guesstimating it for them.
Hitch
And can also hold the thing sideways, assuming he or she has left the default to flip.

(Not long after I acquired my first Fire tablet, I bought a history book from a Big Five publisher whose most crucial map was rotated 90 degrees. I didn't know at that time that one could change the default to no-flip, so every time I had to refer to the map, which was often, I had to lie supine on the couch and rotate MYSELF 90 degrees to the left while holding the dang tablet upright. Since I wear glasses, this was doubly annoying.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
And can also hold the thing sideways, assuming he or she has left the default to flip.

(Not long after I acquired my first Fire tablet, I bought a history book from a Big Five publisher whose most crucial map was rotated 90 degrees. I didn't know at that time that one could change the default to no-flip, so every time I had to refer to the map, which was often, I had to lie supine on the couch and rotate MYSELF 90 degrees to the left while holding the dang tablet upright. Since I wear glasses, this was doubly annoying.)
Res Ipsa Loquitur, odedta! :-)

Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
odedta
Addict

I didn't really understand Notjohn's reply. If you have a wide image rotated 90 degrees then all you have to do is turn your device 90degrees to read it? obviously you would have to turn some auto-rotate screen function off, if that's possible.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I didn't really understand Notjohn's reply. If you have a wide image rotated 90 degrees then all you have to do is turn your device 90degrees to read it? obviously you would have to turn some auto-rotate screen function off, if that's possible.
The point is that MANY devices have the auto-rotate setting in an inconvenient place. It's not a quick "click to turn off" kind of thing (yes, Apple, I'm lookin' at YOU!). So, you're sitting there, and you come to a rotated image, in your Kindle or iPad, etc., and when you try to turn your device to see it properly, it rotates AWAY from you, of course, because, ti's rotated 90%.

If you think about it, it's idiotic to pre-rotate the image. Why? Nobody is going to look at it that way; they're going to tap the image, most likely, and then rotate their device to view it. Right? Why set it at 90? Why not just put it in the "right" way, with the top toward the top of the device--whatever that is--and allow the user to choose how to see it? They'll invariably rotate their device. We already know that, right? So why make it aggravating, to force them to go turn auto-rotation off, since you know that they're going to do it ANYWAY????

Right? Do you see what he means, what I'm saying also? Same thing. It annoys the holy hell out of me when someone hews so strongly to print standards that they don't give 2 seconds' thought to how the image is going to be viewed, 99.9999% of the time--on a rotated device.

See what I mean?

Hitch
Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
odedta
Addict

I do Hitch, you have a valid point. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I do Hitch, you have a valid point. Thank you.
Oh, believe me, no brilliance here--I've just got strong memories of doing that VERY thing, buying ebooks when I first got my iPad (which was set to auto-rotate) and having to chase them around. Soooooo aggravating, LOL!!!

Hitch
Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Oh, believe me, no brilliance here--I've just got strong memories of doing that VERY thing, buying ebooks when I first got my iPad (which was set to auto-rotate) and having to chase them around. Soooooo aggravating, LOL!!!

Hitch
Ah, but have you ever tried to read a comic in bed using the amazon android kindle app, which arrogantly ignores the OS rotation lock setting? (If you are on the wrong side, the page is upside down.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Ah, but have you ever tried to read a comic in bed using the amazon android kindle app, which arrogantly ignores the OS rotation lock setting? (If you are on the wrong side, the page is upside down.)
Yup, sure have, as we make those, too. But, that's an aberration. If we're talking "regular" eBooks, outside fo the Comixology app, the "everybody's gonna rotate it anyway" mindset works. :-)

Hitch
Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
If you think about it, it's idiotic to pre-rotate the image. Why? Nobody is going to look at it that way; they're going to tap the image, most likely, and then rotate their device to view it. Right? Why set it at 90? Why not just put it in the "right" way, with the top toward the top of the device--whatever that is--and allow the user to choose how to see it? They'll invariably rotate their device. We already know that, right? So why make it aggravating, to force them to go turn auto-rotation off, since you know that they're going to do it ANYWAY????
You're assuming most people have auto-rotate on. Kindles don't have autorotate in any case.
Sensible, since if I'm lying down and reading in bed, I don't want the text to rotate.
And for my iPad, I do have autorotate on most of the time, but for iBooks I turn it off--double click to get to settings, then one tap.

It's a choice between a couple of taps to zoom the image, or a couple of taps to toggle autorotate.

Anyway, I know you have to deal with very conservative clients, and need compatibility for every possible device, so I don't expect you to change your practice, but it is not "idiotic" to rotate an image if you don't have to worry about what every possible user might possibly do.

Last edited by AlanHK; 09-03-2018 at 03:02 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote