Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPhone SE
Question For those with an Aura HD, will you upgrade to the Kobo One?

As the title states really I bought my Aura HD and a sleepcover on release day in 2013, and I've been absolutely stoked with it as I upgraded from a Glo. The H2O was appealing to me too - if mine died I said I'd replace it with one.. but then I heard about the One being released...

So just curious to know how many that have an Aura HD would upgrade to the Kobo One when it's released? I'd aim this at other Kobo sizes but I'm specifically interested in those with the 6.8" devices.
ciscopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopixie View Post
As the title states really I bought my Aura HD and a sleepcover on release day in 2013, and I've been absolutely stoked with it as I upgraded from a Glo. The H2O was appealing to me too - if mine died I said I'd replace it with one.. but then I heard about the One being released...

So just curious to know how many that have an Aura HD would upgrade to the Kobo One when it's released? I'd aim this at other Kobo sizes but I'm specifically interested in those with the 6.8" devices.
Yes, Yes , Yes and Yes...! is it August 30th yet?

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Yes yes yes. Is it August 30 yet?
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
If I can sneak it past the other half.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm seriously tempted. I too got my Aura HD when they were released in April 2013 and it's been a great device. I really have no big need to replace it, but...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have both.

As much as I like the Aura One, I don't know that I would replace my Aura HD. I rather like it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Will a H2O do as a 6.8" device to upgrade from? The larger screen and the cover/stand are really pushing me to upgrade. I have the money, I have the will, I have lack the significant other's okay. But hey, with a couple of weeks to work on it...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Will a H2O do as a 6.8" device to upgrade from? The larger screen and the cover/stand are really pushing me to upgrade.
I have Glo HD and Aura H2O. I normally read on the Glo HD as the size is more convenient. It fits in my pocket when walking between the train and bus. But, the bigger device is really interesting for reading at home.
Quote:
I have the money, I have the will, I have lack the significant other's okay. But hey, with a couple of weeks to work on it...
I think I have a solution for this. Buy her one. My SO's eye sight is such that she uses a fairly large font on her Glo. The Aura One is big enough to get a lot more words on the screen at the same font size. That might sell her on it. Then I'd have to get one to be able to support her.

Do you think that will work?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Decisions, decisions It will certainly be tempting, especially if Geoff gets the patch working on it
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'll probably be upgrading my Aura HD, but will wait for some reviews posted here by real world users. I love my Aura HD, but would really like a bigger screen. I also have a Kindle Voyage, which gets a lot of use as well. I can see my Voyage being my "on the go" device because of it's size and the Aura One being my at home device.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think I have a solution for this. Buy her one. My SO's eye sight is such that she uses a fairly large font on her Glo. The Aura One is big enough to get a lot more words on the screen at the same font size. That might sell her on it. Then I'd have to get one to be able to support her.

Definitely worth a shot Davidfor! I say go for it!

And you also need one--because you have to help support the rest of us mobileread users who will be upgrading to the Aura One!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
And you also need one--because you have to help support the rest of us mobileread users who will be upgrading to the Aura One!
I've tried that one before. It didn't work.

And the "sameness" of the firmware works well for this. Once I have the device ids and the various cover image sizes (don't worry, I can get them), I will have support for the new devices. Adding support for something like Overdrive might take more time. But, I expect that will be mainly showing the books in the device list properly and matching them to the calibre library. If there is anything else new, it will depend on what it is. And it will be interesting to see if the reviewers notice anything new once they get bored playing with the light controls. As I said, support for anything new can take time. Or, it might just magically appear when the firmware is released.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

I have an Aura HD, also. I really like it--the size and the easy to hold back.

But do I really want a larger reader? I don't know. I have an 8" tablet that I enjoy reading on. The Aura ONE has all the features I want--except size. I was hoping for one just like that--in 6".

I am looking forward to trying out the Overdrive integration - on my Aura HD.

So, at this time, my answer is no, I am not planning to get the Aura One. My Aura HD is excellent.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

That is sooo generous of you - you could also buy one for me *smiles winsomely*
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
That is sooo generous of you - you could also buy one for me *smiles winsomely*
Are you trying to get me in trouble again?

Tags
aura hd, kobo one, upgrade