Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Dymo tape fix for eBay Kobo Aura and Aura HD covers

I bought the commonly available inexpensive third-party Kobo Aura and Aura HD sleepcovers off eBay. You know, the ones like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Auto-Sle...item35cf557407

They're actually very nice, but they both have the same two problems compared to the official Kobo Sleepcovers, which I also own.

First, there's no real indentation or lip to get your fingernails/fingertips under to pry the cover open; it's a bit awkward.

Second, the magnets used on these third-party covers are much stronger than the ones Kobo uses. Yes, they'll do a better job of keeping the case closed in a bag or purse, but they also make it hard to pry the dang case open.

The solution? I had an old Dymo embossing labeller lying around (I imagine most offices do somewhere in a back drawer) -- you know, those old gun-shaped devices that are used to make embossed adhesive labels. (Not the modern electric kind that prints on paper-thin tape, but the old-fashioned manual kind that embosses letters on thick plastic tape.)

I took a length of 1/4-inch (.64 cm) Dymo tape and stuck it on the inside cover over the metal clasp (on the left side -- not on the black magnet on the right side). The tape is thick enough to give a little fingernail room when the case is closed, and it's thick enough to drastically the strength of the magnetic. The sleepcover on/off function still works just fine, but it's a lot easier to open and close the case now.

On my Dymo labeller, pressing the spacebar trigger 15 times resulted in a piece of tape exactly the right length to stick on the magnet.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 02-09-2014 at 10:37 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
The magnet on my ebay case scratches the cover clasp. Curiously just in three places, so possibly the magnet isn't fixed in entirely flat.

Your Dymo tape idea should help stop that. Neat! Now if only I had a Dymo :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The magnet on my ebay case scratches the cover clasp. Curiously just in three places, so possibly the magnet isn't fixed in entirely flat.

Your Dymo tape idea should help stop that. Neat! Now if only I had a Dymo :-)
You could try any good doublesided tape and have your selection of thickness in plastic scraps.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote