Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 6G
Blank pages

Since the latest update to Marvin, I have noticed several of my epubs have developed a blank page after the Cover. I also don't see where I can remove the page, at least not in the Calibre epub files.

These are self-edited files, which did not have this page showing up only a few days ago. Anyone else have this happening?
Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Does this happen for all your books? In many cases, the problem is usually that there's a page break declaration (before/after) that Marvin honours. If the book is in the public domain, feel free to email it to me at support and I'll check it out for you.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Sablerose
Enthusiast

No, it's only happened for 9 of the 16 self-edited epub files for the one author I've completed so far.

Also, it happened since I last looked at, or edited, any of them. I'm not sure what happened.

Now, I know I did an update for Marvin in that time. I don't think I've done one for Calibre, since the new update didn't have anything I really needed.

Unfortunately, the books affected aren't in the public domain, but I think I could get away with sending you the cover xhtml and the first hmtl file (the Title page)?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have only developed a few epubs on my own with html file and then run them through Calibre. Do you have any hr (horizontal line) commands? If so, eliminate them and see if that solves the blank page problem.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never noticed HRs causing problems. Could you send me an example where an HR causes a break to test it out? The only cases I've seen this happening is when there were page-break-after or page-break-before CSS directives.
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
Sablerose
Enthusiast

@TheOldMan No, I don't use HRs in my editing. The file splits that I use are Heading breaks. And the error I mentioned has occurred since I last opened the files. They were working correctly last time I looked at them.

@Kguil Info on the way.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Well, forget my hr suggestion. It happened only once and the blank page that came immediately after the title page disappeared with the removal but it was probably something else.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have noticed a similar problem, I have no idea if this is due to a recent Marvin change.

In my epub I have this at top of each html file (a chapter in the epub):

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Foo</title>
<link href="LD-book3.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
<body>
<div class="chapter" id="ch01">
etc...
The chapter style is defined like this in the css:

Code:
.chapter	{
	display: block; 
	page-break-before: always;
			}
If I display this epub on my Kobo Aura HD (using Adobe RMSDK), I do not get a blank page between chapters, whereas in Marvin I do. Which one is showing the correct behaviour according to the standard?

Perhaps the Kobo reasons that there has already been a page break enforced by the new chapter (which is in its own html file) so there is no need to insert another one? Or perhaps it just blithely ignores page-break-before? If the former is correct, then is this behaviour that Marvin should implement? If this is not correct according to the standard, then the epub author needs a slap on the wrist.

Once I remove the "page-break-before: always;" from the css, both Kobo and Marvin behave as expected (no blank page between chapters).

Last edited by ShellShock; 02-06-2014 at 01:56 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
kguil
Addict

Indeed, the page-break-before instruction is causing a page break to be created before the start of the chapter and since there's nothing before it, you're seeing a blank page at the beginning. Usually page break before/after are used as section breaks within the same chapter (XHTML file).

I'm not sure whether the standard describes this behaviour but it seems to me that Marvin is correctly honouring the instruction given.

Does your Kobo device honour page break instructions mid-chapter (I don't have a device to test with)?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good idea! I created this epub file:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>Foo</title>
</head>

<body>
  <div class="chapter" id="ch02">
    <p class="chapterTitle">Chapter 1</p>
  </div>

<p class="paraNoIndent">Blah blah</p>

<p class="para">Blah blah</p>

<p class="paraTemp">There should be a page break before this paragraph.</p>

<p class="para">Blah blah</p>
etc
Styles:

Code:
.chapter
{
}

p.chapterTitle 
{
	font-size: 1.45em;
	margin-bottom: 1.50em;
	margin-top: 3.00em;
	text-indent: 0.00em;
	margin-right: 0.00em;
	margin-left: 0.00em;
	text-align: center;
	font-weight: normal;
	font-style: normal;
	color: rgb(0,0,0);
}

.paraNoIndent
{
    font-size: medium;
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    text-align: left;
    text-indent: 0em;
}

.para
{
    text-indent: 1.5em;
}

.paraTemp
{
    text-indent: 1.5em;
}
I tested this with: Marvin, Kobo Aura HD (Adobe RMSDK), Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 and the epub viewer built into Calibre with these results:

Code:
           Break Before Chapter?    Break Before Paragraph?     
Marvin     Yes                      Yes
Aura HD    No                       Yes
ADE        No                       Yes
Calibre    No                       Yes
So it seems Marvin is the odd one out. My guess is that the others only insert a break if there has not already "just" been one, but I have no idea how they judge the proximity of the proceeding break. One without an intervening p tag perhaps? Perhaps Kovid could help?

Last edited by ShellShock; 02-08-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
kguil
Addict

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Could it be that the other readers are only applying the page break if the instruction is in a <p> tag?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard

No problem.

That does not seem to be the case. I tried Calibre and ADE 2 with this:

Code:
<body>
  <p class="chapterTemp">CHAPTER</p>
Code:
.chapterTemp
{
}
No page break.

Last edited by ShellShock; 02-08-2014 at 09:09 AM.